Winterley and Wheelock Heath
|Winterley and Wheelock Heath|
Road sign at entrance to villages
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Postcode district||CW11 4|
|EU Parliament||North West England|
The villages were formerly on the main Crewe to Sandbach road. This had been constructed as a turnpike road from Nantwich to Wheelock Wharf on the Grand Trunk Canal in 1816. This became the A534 road, which was diverted out of the area with the opening of the Haslington Bypass in 1990.
There are no rail services in the immediate area, the nearest station being four miles (6.5 km) away at Crewe on the West Coast Main Line. Bus services are provided by Arriva North West, Harrier and Warrington Borough Transport.
Most children go to primary schools in nearby Haslington, such as Dingle C.P. School or Haslington Primary and receive secondary education in either Sandbach or Crewe, most commonly Sandbach School (boys) and Sandbach High School and Sixth Form College (girls).
The more popular nearby primary schools for Winterley residents are both located in nearby Haslington.
Winterley has Baptist and Methodist Churches.
The Baptist Church in Winterley is located on Hassall Road, and is known as Wheelock Heath Baptist Church.
Winterley's Methodist Church Brass Band has its own official website (see below).
Sports and leisure
Winterley Pool is a fishing lake that serves as the centre-point to Winterley. The pool was formerly used to power a corn mill, with water flowing through a channel cut to Fowle Brook. There are two pools to fish; the larger front pool and the smaller Match Pool to the rear. The main pool has a large resident population of mute swans and various species of geese.
- Nantwich to Wheelock Wharf Turnpike Road Act 1816 (56 Geo. 3) c. xvi
- "Speedier Start for Wheelock Bypass". This is Cheshire. 4 April 1997. Retrieved 20 March 2009.[permanent dead link]
- "Cheshire Public Transport Map" (PDF). Cheshire County Council. 1 December 2008. Archived from the original (PDF) on 18 March 2009. Retrieved 2009-03-20.
- "Haslington Official Parish Handbook" (PDF). Haslington Parish Council. 1982. Retrieved 2009-03-20.
- "Winterley Pool". go-fish.co.uk. Retrieved 2009-03-20.
- "Crosses and Crossbars". Cycle Cheshire Series. Cheshire County Council. Archived from the original on November 20, 2008. Retrieved 2009-03-20.