Worms 2: Armageddon
This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Platform(s)||Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, iOS, Android|
Xbox Live Arcade|
July 1, 2009
October 27, 2010
April 9, 2013
Worms 2: Armageddon is a 2D artillery turn-based tactics video game developed by Team17 and part of the Worms series, released on July 1, 2009 on Xbox Live Arcade. An expanded version of this game titled Worms Reloaded was released for the PC on August 26, 2010. It was released for PlayStation 3 on September 8, 2010, for Europe, and September 13, 2010, for North America.
It is the sequel to the game Worms on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, released in 2007. The sequel has several new features and modes, as well as popular returning weapons from past games in the Worms series. It also has an all-new single-player campaign mode with 35 missions.
- Single-player campaign with 30 missions, of progressing difficulty, and 5 extra missions, which can be bought from the shop.
- Training mode which includes tutorials on aiming weapons and navigating the players Worm around levels. Also includes firing ranges wherein all weapons are available to the player for aiming practice, and can freely spawn enemy worms or targets on the level to fire upon.
- Six game styles are available for Xbox LIVE/PlayStation Network and Local Multiplayer matches: Beginner, Standard, Pro, Fort, Rope Racing and Crazy Crates, with Rope Racing only being playable in player and private matches.
- Ranked matches can only be played with two players, whereas player and private matches support 4 players.
- Local Match that supports four-player offline matches.
The shop has items such as new hats, gravestones, landscapes, weapons and missions can be bought with gold earned from completing single player campaign missions.
An update was released in July 2010 called "Worms 2: Armageddon Battlepack". It features 6 new weapons, 10 new forts, 30 all-new single-player deathmatches and body count mode, new game styles and landscapes. The battlepack is also on the PS3. An error occurred with the PS3 version of the battlepack, reducing the amount of landscapes from the map pack severely but this error has been addressed and fixed. The battle pack was released on the App Store on November 29, 2010. There are other Updates available such as Mayhem Pack, Retro Pack, Forts Pack, Puzzle pack, Time Attack Pack, All with new landscapes, Hats and Voices for customising your team.
Exclusive PS3 content
The PlayStation 3 version has exclusive hats for Worms to wear in the game, they include a MotorStorm helmet, a Helghast Mask (from Killzone), a Sackboy, a Lemming and a Buzz wig.
Exclusive iOS content
The iPhone/iPad version also has platform-specific Worm hats, all themed around Angry Birds. The red bird, yellow bird, black bird, white bird, mustache pig and king pig make up the hats.
The critics' reaction to the game has been generally positive. It has a rating of 84 out of 100 on Metacritic based on 24 reviews. IGN gave it a score of 8.5/10, concluding: "This is one of the most fun multiplayer games around, and now the single-player campaign provides a satisfying experience, as well." Guy Cocker of GameSpot gave the game 8 out of 10 criticizing its short campaign but praising its high customization.
- Worms 2: Armageddon Tech Info GameSpot Retrieved May 27, 2018.
- Michael McWhertor (June 17, 2009). "Worms 2: Armageddon Trailer Full Of Armageddonness". Kotaku. Retrieved May 27, 2018.
- Mike Fahey (June 24, 2009). "Worms 2: Armageddon Crawls To Live Arcade Next Week". Kotaku. Retrieved May 27, 2018.
- "Worms 2: Armageddon for Xbox 360 Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved July 5, 2018.
- "Worms 2: Armageddon for PlayStation 3 Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved July 5, 2018.
- Daemon Hatfield (July 1, 2009). "Worms 2: Armageddon Review". IGN. News Corporation. Retrieved May 27, 2018.
- Guy Cocker (July 24, 2009). "Worms 2: Armageddon Review". GameSpot. CBS Interactive. Retrieved May 27, 2018.