|Full name||Xabier Etxeita Gorritxategi|
|Date of birth||31 October 1987|
|Place of birth||Zornotza, Spain|
|Height||1.85 m (6 ft 1 in)|
|Playing position||Centre back|
|2010||→ Cartagena (loan)||14||(1)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 23 May 2015.
Born in Zornotza, Biscay, Etxeita was a product of Athletic Bilbao's prolific youth ranks, Lezama. His first three games with the first team, all in 2008–09's La Liga, were not without incidents: in his first, a 2–0 home win against neighbours CA Osasuna on 16 November 2008, he subbed in for injured Ustaritz, being sent off in the following against CD Numancia (same venue and result).
On 21 December Etxeita replaced Ander Murillo, who also retired before half-time due to injury, in a 1–0 success at Real Betis. During the season, however, he was mainly registered with the B-side.
In the very last days of the 2010 January transfer window Etxeita moved on a five-month loan to FC Cartagena, in the second division. On 16 July 2010 he left Athletic and signed with another club in that level, Elche CF, quickly going on to establish himself in the starting XI.
On 4 June 2013, after contributing with 40 games and four goals as the Valencian Community team returned to the top level after more than 20 years, Etxeita returned to Athletic Bilbao on a free transfer. He only made his official debut on 7 April of the following year, playing the full 90 minutes in a 2–1 away win over Levante UD.
Etxeita scored his first competitive goal for Athletic on 25 October 2014, netting the only in a league fixture at UD Almería. His second came on 4 March of the following year, as he helped to a 2–0 win over RCD Espanyol in Barcelona to make his team reach the final of the Copa del Rey for the first time in three years.
- Athletic 2 – Osasuna 0; Athletic's official website, 16 November 2008
- Athletic 2 – Numancia 0; Athletic's official website, 30 November 2008
- Betis 0 – Athletic 1; Athletic's official website, 21 December 2008
- El Cartegena [sic] cierra la cesión de Etxeita (Cartegena closes Etxeita loan); Marca, 26 January 2010 (Spanish)
- 3–1: El Elche completa pleno de triunfos ante un rival que no inquietó (3–1: Elche goes three for three against unassuming rival); El Mundo Deportivo, 1 September 2012 (Spanish)
- El Elche ratifica su liderato tras ganar al Almería (1–0) (Elche confirms first place after beating Almería (1–0)); El Mundo, 16 December 2012 (Spanish)
- La estrategia del líder destroza al Sabadell (Leader's strategy rips Sabadell apart); Marca, 6 January 2013 (Spanish)
- El líder se estrella en la mano de Máyor (Leader crushes against Máyor's hand); Marca, 20 January 2013 (Spanish)
- El Elche confirma que Etxeita regresa al Athletic (Elche confirms Etxeita returns to Athletic); Deia, 4 June 2013 (Spanish)
- Etxeita sale a escena ocho meses después (Etxeita jumps the stage eight months later); Marca, 6 April 2014 (Spanish)
- Bilbao strengthen grip on top four; ESPN FC, 7 April 2014
- Etxeita da aire al Athletic (Etxeita lets Athletic breathe); Marca, 25 October 2014 (Spanish)
- Como manda la tradición (Will of tradition); Marca, 4 March 2015 (Spanish)
- Athletic Bilbao profile
- BDFutbol profile
- Futbolme profile (Spanish)
- Xabier Etxeita profile at Soccerway