Xavier High School (Connecticut)
|Xavier High School|
|181 Randolph Road
Middletown, Connecticut, (Middlesex County) 06457
|Motto||Be A MAN|
|Religious affiliation(s)||Roman Catholic|
|Average class size||24|
|Color(s)||Black and White|
|Athletics conference||Southern Connecticut Conference|
|Accreditation||New England Association of Schools and Colleges|
|Dean of Students||Nicholas Cerreta|
|Academic Deans||Andrew T. Gargano
|Dean of Faculty Formation||Peter Lyons|
|Athletic Director||Anthony Jaskot|
|Podcast||Falcon Talk (https://soundcloud.com/falcon-talk)|
|Streaming Network||XSN (Xavier Streaming Network) http://thecube.com/cube/xavier-high-school-middletown-connecticut?concept=1|
Xavier High School is a college preparatory Catholic high school run by the Xaverian Brothers. It is located in Middletown, Connecticut, United States. Young men from over 65 towns surrounding Middletown attend Xavier. Mercy High School is its sister school.
It is sponsored jointly by the Roman Catholic Diocese of Norwich and the Congregation of the Brothers of Saint Francis Xavier. The school was incorporated under the laws of the State of Connecticut on February 18, 1963.
Xavier High School was founded in 1963 by the Xaverian Brothers. From the foundation of the school until the present, Xavier has maintained an educational philosophy which seeks "to instill the teachings of God, to guide and counsel students, and to help them prepare for college, for life work, and above all, for life itself."
On May 29, 1998, the Most Reverend Daniel Hart, Bishop of Norwich, and Brother Matthew Burke, Superior General of the Xaverian Brothers, gave final approval to an agreement whereby Xavier High School was formally recognized as a Xaverian Brothers Sponsored School. According to the terms of the agreement, the corporate structure of the school has been modified to reflect what is now common practice at other Xaverian Brothers schools while also preserving Xavier's identity as an institution of the Catholic Diocese of Norwich.
Xavier competes in the Southern Connecticut Conference (SCC) of the CIAC in Connecticut.
Xavier's football team won the Class LL state championship in 2005, 2010, 2011, 2012 (the only "3-peat" in state history) and again in 2014, all of which under former head coach, Sean Marinan. The team has also celebrated a number of division championships in the SCC, including 2000, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2010, 2011, and in 2012. The team has also had several undefeated seasons including 1971, 1972, 1974, 2005, 2010 and 2011.
Xavier's golf team won the Division 1 State Championship in 2017. The Falcons shot 301 winning the program's first state title.
Xavier's sailing team won Connecticut State Championships in 2004 and 2006, and placed 7th at the New England Championships in both team and fleet racing in 2006.
Xavier's Cross Country team holds the most state titles out of any sport at the school, winning its latest in 2009.
Xavier's 4x1 mile relay team placed 6th place in the nation in the Nike Indoor National Championships in March 2007.
Xavier's soccer team has not won any state championships, but have won a number of division and conference championships over the years, the most recent in 2013 (both division and conference champions).
Xavier's hockey team has also been on the rise in the past few years, under head coach Dan DeConti '01, playing in one of the toughest hockey conferences in the entire state. The team has made several playoff appearances in the past couple years, including a trip to the Division 1 semifinals in 2015.
Xavier's Wrestling team won two state championships in 2011 and in 2012, with the 2012 being declared the #1 wrestling team in the state of Connecticut, under head coach Michael Cunningham. The team also has a number of individual awards including 3 New England Champions, 8 state open Championships, and 24 State Champions.
XSN (Xavier Streaming Network) was created in 2013 to help stream and showcase as many of these games and other streaming events over the years. The club is entirely student-ran for students who have an interest in broadcasting or streaming. In their time, the club has streamed many different events for Xavier including home basketball games, football games, soccer games, and even Xavier masses and concerts for the school over the past few years. The network was also responsible for streaming the inaugural football game at Larry McHugh field during the school's 50th anniversary game against Hamden. Many of these games can also be reaped and broken down in the sports reports of Xavier's biweekly podcast, Falcon Talk, during their regular sports reports. Coverage for them goes as far back as Fall of 2011, when the podcast was first created and ran by former students Matthew Barry '15, Dave Hoover '15, and Bryan Hultgren '15.
- Michael Aresco ('68) - broadcasting executive and Commissioner of the American Athletic Conference 
- Jeff Bagwell ('86) - Baseball Hall of Fame Class of 2017 Houston Astros 
- Thom Brooks - political philosopher and legal scholar
- Angelo Sosa ('93) - Contestant on Bravo's Top Chef and Top Chef All-Stars
- Nick Greenwood - Pitcher for the St. Louis Cardinals
- Kevin "Dauber" Lacz ('00)- Navy SEAL, actor playing self in film "American Sniper" 
- Mark Masselli ('68) - community health center executive.
- Will Tye ('10) - Tight end for the New York Giants
Other boys' schools in Connecticut:
- NEASC-CIS. "NEASC-Commission on Independent Schools". Archived from the original on June 16, 2009. Retrieved 2009-07-28.
- "Mission & Philosophy". Xavier High School. Retrieved 7 June 2016.
- "Xavier High School - About Us". Archived from the original on August 8, 2014. Retrieved 5 August 2014.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on January 25, 2009. Retrieved December 15, 2008. Xavier High School-Athletics
- "Football". xavierhighschool.org. Xavier High School.
- Courant, Hartford. "Xavier To Name New Football Field After Larry McHugh Saturday".
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on December 29, 2008. Retrieved November 14, 2008. New England Schools Sailing Association Results Archive
- "Wrestling". www.xavierhighschool.org. Xavier High School.
- Michael Aresco '68 - New Big East Commissioner Archived August 20, 2012, at the Wayback Machine.. Retrieved Feb 23 2013
- Xavier High School Website: Bagwell '86 Now Astros Hitting Coach Archived September 27, 2011, at the Wayback Machine.. Retrieved Aug 7 2011
- "Thomas (Thom) BROOKS". People of Today. Debrett's. Retrieved 11 February 2016.
- Xavier High School Website: Congratulations Angelo Sosa '93 Archived August 8, 2014, at the Wayback Machine.. Retrieved Jun 6 2012
- "Middlefield native, Navy SEAL playing himself in Eastwood's ‘American Sniper’".
- "Mark Masselli, Class of 1969 - Xavier High School - Classmates". www.classmates.com. Retrieved 2017-08-23.
- "CHC1 > About Us > Leadership > Mark Masselli". www.chc1.com. Retrieved 2017-08-23.
- "CHC CEO Mark Masselli: PMI participation enables access for disadvantaged patients | FierceHealthcare". www.fiercehealthcare.com. Retrieved 2017-08-23.