|Eyalet of the Ottoman Empire|
|Today part of|| Saudi Arabia|
The Yemen Eyalet (Ottoman Turkish: ایالت یمن, Eyālet-i Yemen) was an eyalet (province) of the Ottoman Empire. During early 1600s, the Eyalet was entirely lost to the Yemeni Zaidi State, only to be recovered by the Ottomans two centuries later. The Yemen Eyalet was reorganized in 1849, upon Ottoman takeover of much of Greater Yemen territories. In 1872, most of it became Yemen Vilayet after a land reform in the empire.
In 1516, the Mamluks of Egypt annexed Yemen; but in the following year, the Mamluk governor surrendered to the Ottomans, and Turkish armies subsequently overran the country. They were challenged by the Zaidi Imam, Qasim the Great (r.1597–1620), and by 1636, the Zaydi tribesmen had driven the Ottomans out of the country completely.
- Mustafa Pasha al-Nashshar (1539/40–1549)
- Özdemir Pasha (1549–1554)
- Mustafa Pasha al-Nashshar (1554–1555/56)
- Kara Shahin Mustafa Pasha (1556–1560)
- Mahmud Pasha (1561–1565)
- Ridwan Pasha (1565–1567)
- Özdemiroğlu Osman Pasha (1569–1573)
- Murad Pasha (1576–1580)
- Hasan Pasha (1580–1604)
- Ja'far Pasha (1607–1616)
- Mehmed Pasha (1616–1621)
- Ahmad Fadli Pasha (1622–1624)
- Haydar Pasha (1624–1629)
- Aydin Pasha (1628–1630)
- Qansuh Pasha (1629–1635)
Governors of the eyalet in the 19th century:
- Mustafa Sabri Pasha (May 1850–March 1851)
- Mehmed Sirri Pasha (March 1851–October 1851)
- Bonaparta Mustafa Pasha (October 1851–May 1852)
- Kürt Mehmed Pasha (May 1852–May 1856)
- Babanli Ahmed Pasha (1st time) (May 1856–December 1862)
- Musullu Ali Yaver Pasha (December 1862–August 1864)
- Babanli Ahmed Pasha (August 1864–February 1867)
- Tacirli Ahmed Pasha (February 1867–March 1869)
- Halepli Ali Pasha (March 1869–May 1871)
- Topal Bursali Mehmed Redif Pasha (May 1871–August 1871)
Sanjaks of the Eyalet in the mid-19th century:
- Almanach de Gotha. Annuaire diplomatique et statistique pour l'aneé 1867. p. 829.
- Skene, James Henry (1851). The three eras of Ottoman history, a political essay on the late reforms of Turkey. Chapman and Hall. p. 76. Retrieved 2013-02-25.
- "Some Provinces of the Ottoman Empire". Geonames.de. Retrieved 25 February 2013.
- Gabor Agoston; Bruce Alan Masters (2009). Encyclopedia of the Ottoman Empire. Infobase Publishing. p. 603. ISBN 978-1-4381-1025-7. Retrieved 2013-02-25.
- Um, Nancy (2009). The merchant houses of Mocha : trade and architecture in an Indian Ocean port. Seattle: University of Washington Press. p. 19. ISBN 9780295989105.
- World Statesmen — Yemen
|This Ottoman Empire-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|