|Born||November 5, 1907
Anhui Province, China
|Died||May 21, 2000 (aged 92)
|Occupation||Religious and public leader|
|Known for||President of the Buddhist Association of China, vice chairman of the 9th National Committee of the Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference, calligrapher|
|Political party||China Association for Promoting Democracy|
Zhao Puchu (November 5, 1907 – May 21, 2000) was a religious and public leader who promoted cultural progress and religious tolerance in China. Zhao was best known as president of the CCP-supported Buddhist Association of China and also one of the most renowned Chinese calligraphers.
Zhao also served as vice chairman of the 9th National Committee of the Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference and honorary chairman of 10th Central Committee of China Association for Promoting Democracy.
He began his work in the 1930s, serving as secretary of the Buddhist Association of China. Zhao also worked to foster relations with Japan, serving as vice president of the China-Japan Friendship Association from 1958 to 1989, and working as an adviser to the association after. He led a Chinese religious delegation to Japan in 1992, meeting with then prime minister Kiichi Miyazawa and receiving the Grand Cordon of the Order of the Secret Treasure of Japan.
- "CPPCC Vice-Chairman Zhao Puchu Passes Away". People's Daily. 2000-05-22. Retrieved 2012-02-17.
- Niwano, Nikkyo (2000). "Chapter 20: Encounters V (Mr. Zhao Puchu, President of the Buddhist Association of China)". 開祖随聞記: 笑顔のうしろ姿 [Reminiscences of Founder Nikkiyo Niwano]. Translated by Nezu, Masuo. Kosei Shuppan. Retrieved 2012-02-17.
- "Grand Bodhi Temple Introduction". Daputi. 2008. Archived from the original on February 5, 2008. Retrieved 2009-05-11.
- "Sino-Japanese Ties Must Be Deepened". Dharma World. 2007. Retrieved 2012-02-17.
- "China's top Buddhist leader Zhao Puchu dies at 92". Asian Political News. 2000-05-29. Retrieved 2009-05-11.
- "Chronology of the Foundation". Niwano Peace Foundation. Retrieved 2012-02-17.
- "Zhao Puchu: Falun Gong is an evil cult and demon's teaching". Chinanews. 1999-08-01. Retrieved 2012-02-17.
Geshe Sherab Gyatso
|Venerable Master of the Buddhist Association of China