The device was marketed by the CSCT company (standing for "Cell Specific Cancer Treatment", an alternative name for the therapy). It was claimed to detect cancer, and to "destroy cancer cells without harming adjacent normal cells". The promotion of the machine was backed by the publication of a number of misleading case reports.
In 2003 the U.S. Federal Trade Commission took action against CSCT in coordination with the Canadian and Mexican authorities, alleging that the company had been falsely promoting its device as a cancer treatment online, and charging for its use in cancer clinics in Tijuana, Mexico. In 2005 criminal charges were bought against the company's officers for making false or misleading claims about the worth of the Zoetron machine.
Patients being treated with the machine had been asked to pay up to US$15,000 in advance, however the treatment had no therapeutic value: on inspection the device was found to consist of weak magnets that could have no effect on cancer. Quackwatch states: "There is no scientific evidence or reason to believe that exposure to weak magnetic fields will kill any cells or that cancer cells accumulate iron or respond differently than normal cells to a magnetic field."
- Stephen Barrett, M.D. (27 July 2010). "Questionable Cancer Therapies". Quackwatch. Retrieved September 2013.
- New, Kevin (21 February 2003). (subscription required) "Bogus electromagnetic device firm shut down following probe" Check
|url=scheme (help). Medical Device Daily.
- Stephen Barrett, M.D. (1 March 2004). "Zoetron Therapy (Cell Specific Cancer Therapy)". Quackwatch. Retrieved September 2013.
- "Zoetron Cell Specific Cancer Therapy". BBB Business Review. Retrieved 14 September 2013.
- "Questionable Cancer Practices In Mexico". American Cancer Society. 1 November 2008. Retrieved 14 September 2013.
- FTC, Canada, and Mexico Officials Crack Down on Foreign Companies That Offer Bogus Cancer Treatment – FTC press release[dead link]
|This article about alternative medicine is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|