1976 Boston Red Sox season
|1976 Boston Red Sox|
|Major League affiliations|
|Owner(s)||Tom Yawkey, Jean Yawkey|
|Manager(s)||Darrell Johnson (W-41; L-45) and Don Zimmer (W-42; L-34)|
|Local television||WSBK-TV, Ch. 38
(Dick Stockton, Ken Harrelson)
|Local radio||WMEX-AM 1510
(Ned Martin, Jim Woods)
|< Previous season Next season >|
The 1976 Boston Red Sox season was a season in American baseball. It involved the Red Sox finishing third in the American League East with a record of 83 wins and 79 losses. The Red Sox did not come close to repeating the previous year's success. An off-season contract dispute with Fred Lynn was a distraction. In early May, a brawl with the New York Yankees led to a shoulder injury for Bill Lee, one of their best pitchers. A 17-game winner in 1975, Lee would be out until mid-1977, and his loss was keenly felt. Worst of all, the Red Sox' beloved owner, Tom Yawkey, died of leukemia in July. Manager Darrell Johnson was fired shortly thereafter, and replaced by coach Don Zimmer. Overall, it was a disappointing season for a talented but underachieving team.
- February 15, 1976: Gene Michael was signed as a free agent by the Red Sox.
- March 3, 1976: Dick Drago was traded by the Red Sox to the California Angels for John Balaz, Dick Sharon, and Dave Machemer.
On June 15, 1976, Oakland A's owner Charlie O. Finley attempted to sell left fielder Joe Rudi and relief pitcher Rollie Fingers to the Red Sox for $1 million each. Three days later, Bowie Kuhn voided the transactions in the "best interests of baseball."
|New York Yankees||97||62||--||.610|
|Boston Red Sox||83||79||15.5||.512|
- April 7, 1976: Diego Seguí was released by the Red Sox.
- May 4, 1976: Gene Michael was released by the Red Sox.
- June 3, 1976: Bernie Carbo was traded by the Red Sox to the Milwaukee Brewers for Bobby Darwin and Tom Murphy.
- June 8, 1976: Wade Boggs was drafted by the Red Sox in the 7th round of the 1976 Major League Baseball Draft. Player signed June 10, 1976.
Opening Day lineup
|1976 Boston Red Sox|
Starters by position
Note: Pos = Position; G = Games played; AB = At bats; H = Hits; Avg. = Batting average; HR = Home runs; RBI = Runs batted in
Note: G = Games played; AB = At bats; H = Hits; Avg. = Batting average; HR = Home runs; RBI = Runs batted in
|Darwin, BobbyBobby Darwin||43||106||19||.179||3||13|
|Carbo, BernieBernie Carbo||17||55||13||.236||2||6|
Note: G = Games pitched; IP = Innings pitched; W = Wins; L = Losses; ERA = Earned run average; SO = Strikeouts
|Cleveland, ReggieReggie Cleveland||41||170||10||9||3.07||76|
Note: G = Games pitched; W = Wins; L = Losses; SV = Saves; ERA = Earned run average; SO = Strikeouts
LEAGUE CHAMPIONS: Winston-Salem, Elmira
- Johnson, Lloyd; Wolff, Miles, eds. (1997). The Encyclopedia of Minor League Baseball (2nd ed.). Durham, N.C.: Baseball America. ISBN 978-0-9637189-8-3.
- 1976 Boston Red Sox team page at Baseball Reference
- 1976 Boston Red Sox season at baseball-almanac.com