The 2013 National League Wild Card Game was a one-game playoff between the Cincinnati Reds and the Pittsburgh Pirates that was played at PNC Park. The game was televised on TBS, and was also broadcast on ESPN Radio. The Pirates defeated the Reds 6–2, and advanced to play the St. Louis Cardinals in the National League Division Series. The game marked the first postseason appearance by the Pirates since 1992. This was the third postseason appearance for the Reds in four seasons. Pirates manager Clint Hurdle made his first postseason appearance since going to the 2007 World Series as manager of the Colorado Rockies, and Dusty Baker fell to 0-3 in post-season appearances as manager of the Reds, a position he was relieved from three days after the loss, on October 4. The Reds continued their postseason win drought since their last trip to the NLCS in 1995.
After a scoreless first inning and a half, the Pirates secured the first runs of the game with home runs by Marlon Byrd and Russell Martin in the bottom of the 2nd inning. In the bottom of the third, Pedro Alvarez hit a sacrifice-fly to Shin-Soo Choo, which allowed Andrew McCutchen to score. In the top of the fourth, with Choo and Ryan Ludwick on base, Jay Bruce hit a groundball single to Pirates left-fielder Starling Marte, allowing Choo to score. In the bottom of the fourth, Marte and Neil Walker scored off RBIs. In the bottom of the 7th inning, Russell Martin hit a solo home run. The Reds could only further respond with a Choo home run off of Tony Watson. The Pirates held on to win with Jason Grilli closing the game.
- ^ Singer, Tom. Behind six homers, Bucs to host NL Wild Card Game. MLB.com. September 28, 2013. Retried September 28, 2013.
- ^ "Pirates beat Cincinnati". New York Times. October 2, 2013. Retrieved October 2, 2013.
- ^ "Blackout for Reds, as Pirates Move On". New York Times. October 2, 2013. Retrieved October 2, 2013.
- ^ "Reds dismiss manager Dusty Baker". ESPN. October 4, 2013. Retrieved October 5, 2013.
- ^ http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2013_10_01_cinmlb_pitmlb_1&mode=recap&c_id=pit#gid=2013_10_01_cinmlb_pitmlb_1&mode=recap&c_id=cin
- ^ "Meet me in St. Louis! Pirates roll into NLDS after ripping Reds 6-2 in wild-card win". Washington Post. October 2, 2013. Retrieved October 2, 2013.
- ^ "Pirates cruise past Reds in playoff return". USA Today. October 2, 2013. Retrieved October 2, 2013.
- ^ "Pirates advance to NLDS". MLB.com. October 2, 2013. Retrieved October 2, 2013.