6th Infantry Brigade (United Kingdom)
The 6th Infantry Brigade is a regular British Army brigade.
Second Boer War
- 2nd Battalion, Royal Fusiliers (4 companies)
- 2nd Battalion, Royal Scots Fusiliers
- 1st Battalion, Royal Welsh Fusiliers
- 2nd Battalion, Royal Irish Fusiliers
World War I
The brigade was part of 2nd Division. It was composed as follows;
- 1st Battalion, King's (Liverpool Regiment)
- 2nd Battalion, South Staffordshire Regiment
- 13th (Service) Battalion (West Ham), Essex Regiment
- 1st Battalion, King's Royal Rifle Corps (to 99th Bde. December 1915)
The following battalions were part of the brigade during 1915.
- 1st Battalion, Royal Berkshire Regiment (August 1914 to December 1915)
- 1/5th Battalion, King's (Liverpool Regiment) (February 1915 to December 1915)
- 1/7th Battalion, King's (Liverpool Regiment) (March 1915 to September 1915)
- 1/1st Battalion, Hertfordshire Regiment (August 1915 to June 1916)
The 17th Battalion of the Royal Fusiliers joined the brigade from the 5th Brigade in February 1918.
World War II
At the outbreak of war in 1939 the 6th Infantry was part of the 2nd Infantry Division. In 1939 the brigade moved with the 2nd Infantry Division to France and was involved in the short Battle of France fighting at the Battles of The Dyle, St Omer-La Bassée and the retreat to and evacuation from Dunkirk in 1940.
With the invasion of Burma by the Japanese Army the brigade was shipped out to India with the 2nd Division where it would remain for the rest of the war fighting in the Burma Campaign. It fought in the Arakan and at Kohima and Mandalay. The brigade was composed as follows;
- 1st Battalion, Royal Berkshire Regiment (9 September 1939 - 31 August 1945)
- 1st Battalion, Royal Welch Fusiliers (9 September 1939 - 31 August 1945)
- 2nd Battalion, Durham Light Infantry (3 September 1939 - 9 September 1941, 19 October 1941 - 31 August 1945)
- 1st Battalion, East Lancashire Regiment (9 September 1941 - 19 October 1941)
- 6th Infantry Brigade Anti-Tank Company (9 September 1939 - 14 December 1940)
While an Independent Brigade Group fighting in the Arakan between 1 November 1942 and 2 June 1943, the following additional units were attached.
- 1st Battalion, Royal Scots
- 99th (Buckinghamshire Yeomanry) Field Regiment, Royal Artillery
- 506th Field Company Royal Engineers
- 6th Field Ambulance Royal Army Medical Corps
- Army of Natal, legionwargames.com
- Joslen p240
- Joslen, Lt. Col. H.F. (1990). Orders of Battle, Second World War, 1939-1945. HMSO. ISBN 9781-8434-2474-1.
- 6 Infantry Brigade at Orders of Battle.com