A. K. Lohithadas
|A. K. Lohithadas|
|Born||Ambazhathil Karunakaran Lohithadas
May 10, 1955
Chalakudy, Thiru-Kochi (now Kerala), India
|Died||June 29, 2009
Kochi, Kerala, India
|Cause of death||Cardiac arrest|
|Residence||Lakkidi, Kerala, India|
|Occupation||Screenwriter, Film director, Film producer|
|Years active||1987 - 2009|
Ambazhathil Karunakaran Lohithadas (അമ്പഴത്തില് കരുണാകരന് ലോഹിതദാസ് May 10, 1955 - June 28, 2009) was an Indian screenwriter, playwright, director, and producer known for his extensive work in Malayalam cinema.
Lohithadas was known for his rich, detailed, and realistic screenplays. He has written screenplays for 35 films in a twenty-four year long career, such as Thaniyavarthanam (1987), Kireedam (1989), His Highness Abdullah (1990), Bharatham (1991), Amaram (1991), Padheyam (1993), Chenkol (1993), Thooval Kottaram (1996) and Veendum Chila Veettukaryangal (1999). He later became a director, and has directed films such as Bhoothakkannadi (1997), Kanmadam (1998), Joker (2000), and Kasthooriman (2003). He died on June 29, 2009 due to a heart attack.
Lohithadas (or 'Lohi', as he is often referred to) was born on May 10, 1955 in Chalakudy, Kerala.He showed an initial interest in writing short stories, but failed to make a mark in that genre. He soon moved into Malayalam theater in 1986 when his debut script was accepted for the stage by the legendary theater personality Thoppil Bhasi. Bhasi's Communist Party of India (CPI)-backed drama troupe, the highly successful Kerala People's Arts Club (KPAC), produced the play, which led to his winning a state award.
Fresh with the play's commercial and critical success, Lohithadas was introduced to K.G.George by actor Thilakan. It did not help Lohithadas to start a career in Malayalam cinema. But it was K.G.George who gave the basic core idea of the story, later which was developed by Lohithadas to make the film Kireedam. Later, Thilakan introduced Lohithadas to director Sibi Malayil when Sibi was searching for a good writer for his films. Thus Lohi's first movie screenplay Thaniavarthanam was directed by Malayil and became a success. Together, Sibi Malayil and Lohithadas would later produce several memorable Malayalam movies. His screenplay works for Sibi Malayil are Thaniyavarthanam (1987), Dasharatham (1989), Kireedam (1989), His Highness Abdullah (1990), Bharatham (1990), Kamaladalam (1992), and Chenkol (1993). Other works include Veendum Chila Veettukaryangal (1999),Sasneham (1990) for Sathyan Anthikkad and Amaram,venkalam(1991) for Bharathan.
He later became a filmmaker and made works such as Bhoothakkannadi (1997), Karunyam (1997), Kanmadam (1998), Arayannangalude Veedu (2000), Joker (2000), Kasthooriman (2003) (which he himself produced), and Nivedyam (2007). Most of his works were critically and commercially successful. His works were recognized from his very first venture Thaniyavarthanam, which brought him the Kerala State Film Award for Best Story. When he went to Germany for a film festival for screening his first directorial venture Bhoothakkannadi, one of the German filmmakers asked him by seeing this movie whether he is a Psychologist or not. That film was a real and exact depiction of human psychology.
Thilakan was always been so proud of Lohithadas who was introduced to Malayalam film industry by him and Lohithadas became one of the most prominent classic screen writers of Malayam cinema ever seen.
In the morning of June 29, 2009, he experienced chest pains and uneasiness at his home at Aluva near Ernakulam and was immediately taken to the Lisy Hospital, Kaloor, Ernakulam, where he was declared dead from a heart attack at 10:50.
- 1999 - Best Popular Film - Veendum Chila Veettu Karyangal
- 1997 - Best Film - Bhoothakannadi
- 1997 - Best Screen Play - Bhoothakkannadi
- 1992 - Best Popular Film - Venkalam
- 1991 - Second Best Film - Bharatham
- 1987 - Best Story - Thaniyavarthanam
- Film Critics award for Best script - Thaniyavarthanam (1987)
- Film Critics award for Best script - Dasharatham (1989)
- Film Critics award for Best script - Kireedam (1989)
- Film Critics award for Best script - Bharatham (1991)
- Film Critics award for Best script - Chenkol (1993)
- Film Critics award for Best script - Chakoram (1994)
- Film Critics award for Best script - Sallapam (1995)
- Film Critics award for Best script- Thooval Kottaram (1996)
- Film Critics award for Best script- Bhoothakannadi (1997)
- Film Critics award for Best script- Ormacheppu (1998)
- Film Critics award for Best script- Joker (1999)
- Film Critics award for Best script- Veendum Chila Veettukaryangal (2000)
- Film Critics award for Best script- Kasthooriman (2003)
- Film Critics award for Best script- Nivedyam (2007)
- Film Critics award for Best Director- Bhoothakannadi (1997)
- Film Critics award for Best Director- Joker (1999)
- Film Critics award for Best Director- Kasthoorimann (2003)
- Film Critics award for Best Director- Nivedyam (2007),
- Asianet Film Award
- 1999 - Best Script Writer Award - Veendum Chila Veettu Karyangal
|1997||Bhoothakannadi||Mammootty, Lakshmi, Kavya Madhavan|
|1997||Karunyam||Jayaram, Divya Unni, Murali, Nedumudi Venu|
|1998||Ormacheppu||Lal, Dileep, Chanchal, Biju Menon|
|1998||Kanmadam||Mohanlal, Manju Warrier, Siddique, Lal|
|2000||Arayannangalude Veedu||Mammootty, Lakshmi Gopalaswamy, Lal, Cochin Haneefa, Siddique|
|2000||Joker||Dileep, Manya, Mala Aravindan, Bindhu Panicker|
|2001||Soothradharan||Dileep, Meera Jasmine, Cochin Haneefa, Bindu Panicker, Kalabhavan Mani|
|2003||Kasthoorimann||Kunchako Boban, Meera Jasmine|
|2003||Chakram||Prithviraj, Meera Jasmine|
|2005||Kasthuri Maan (Tamil)||Prasanna, Meera Jasmine, Sarath Babu|
|2006||Chakkara Muthu||Dileep, Kavya Madhavan, Saikumar, Cochin Haneefa|
|2007||Nivedyam||Vinu Mohan, Bhama, Nedumudi Venu, Bharath Gopi|
- "A K Lohithadas (1955-2009): Tribute to a legend - Rediff.com Movies". Movies.rediff.com. 2009-06-29. Retrieved 2012-07-12.
- "Kerala News : A.K. Lohithadas passes away". The Hindu. 2009-06-29. Retrieved 2012-07-12.
- Updated Friday, July 13, 2012 04:45 AM IST. "Malayalam News | Editorial". Manorama Online. Retrieved 2012-07-12.
- "Writer-director Lohithadas passes away!". Sify.com. 2009-06-28. Retrieved 2012-07-12.
- Updated Thursday, July 12, 2012 04:28 PM IST. "Malayalam News". Manorama Online. Retrieved 2012-07-12.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to A. K. Lohithadas.|