Alamo Rent a Car
|Headquarters||Clayton, Missouri, United States|
|Parent||Enterprise Holdings, Inc.|
Alamo Rent a Car is the third-largest car rental agency in the United States. Based in Clayton, Missouri, it has branches across the United States, Canada, Mexico, Central America, South America, parts of Africa, Europe, and Australia, and various Caribbean islands. The chain was started in 1974 with several locations in the state of Florida, and earned public appeal for its unlimited mileage program, where people could travel any distance with the car at no extra charge. In the United States, Alamo rents mostly General Motors, Toyota, Nissan, and Volvo automobiles.
Alamo is the largest car rental provider to international travelers visiting North America and developed the industry’s first and only online check-in system in 2005. It has more than 171 self-service kiosks at 63 U.S. locations, which earned it the “Extra Mile Award” from Budget Travel magazine in 2007. Alamo also serves as the official rental car of Walt Disney World Resort and Disneyland Resort.
Collision damage waiver
"Alamo Rent a Car" is based in Clayton, Missouri. It was given the name "Alamo" not because of its location, but because they wanted its company to be listed first in the telephone book.
Department of Justice investigation
Alamo Rent a Car has been criticized for not providing adequate access to/from terminal buildings to rental car lot for wheelchair users. According to the United States Department of Justice, Alamo was the subject of many such complaints. Alamo reached a settlement with the government regarding the complaints filed by the Department of Justice.
North American vehicle types
Alamo reclassification of car sizes has caused considerable customer confusion. Cars such as the Chevrolet Cobalt are classified as compact at other firms, but as mid-size at Alamo.
- economy: Chevrolet Spark or similar
- compact: Nissan Versa or similar
- mid-sized: Toyota Corolla or similar
- standard car: Chrysler 200 or similar
- full-sized: Chevrolet Malibu or similar
- mid-size SUV:Chevrolet Equinox or similar
- standard SUV: Jeep Grand Cherokee or similar
- premium car|premium: Nissan Maxima or similar
- full-size crossover: Dodge Journey or similar
- full-size SUV: Chevrolet Tahoe or similar
- minivan: Dodge Grand Caravan or similar
Cars are different outside of United States and Canada.
- "Alamo Rent A Car, Inc. History". fundinguniverse.com. Retrieved 2012-09-02.
- Thomas Jr., Landon. "Enterprise Rent-a-Car Buys Vanguard, a Rival". The New York Times. Event occurs at 2007-03-31. Retrieved 2012-09-02.
- "Final Settlement Agreement Between The United States of America and ANC Rental Corporation, Alamo Rent-a-Car, LLC, and National Car Rental System, Inc". Ada.gov. 2003-10-14. Retrieved 2012-09-02.
- Alamo Rent a Car official webpage
- Confessions of an Alamo Car Rental Agent. The Consumerist.
- List of SIPP codes used by Alamo to categorize their rental cars