|Private holding company|
|Headquarters||Clayton, Missouri, United States|
|Andrew C. Taylor,
Donald A Ross,
President & CEO
|Revenue||$17.8 billion (2014)|
Number of employees
Enterprise Holdings, Inc. is an American holding company headquartered in Clayton, Missouri. It is the parent company of car rental companies Enterprise Rent-A-Car, National Car Rental, Alamo Rent a Car and Enterprise CarShare. The holding company was formed in 2009 as a result of Enterprise Rent-A-Car's 2007 acquisition of Vanguard Automotive Group, the parent company of National Car Rental and Alamo Rent a Car. Enterprise ranks as the largest car rental company in the United States. The company sells its used cars through Enterprise Car Sales.
Established in 1957 as Executive Leasing, the company was renamed Enterprise in 1969 in memory of the WWII aircraft carrier USS Enterprise that the founder Jack Taylor served on. The company was restructured in 2009 to become a holding company of Enterprise Rent-A-Car and its 2007 acquisitions of Alamo and National.
In 2008, Enterprise piloted its first on-campus carsharing program at Washington University in St. Louis. The program, called WeCar, was introduced at University of South Florida in July 2009. As of September 2012[update], WeCar has 100 carsharing programs in more than 30 American states and Canada, and the service offers almost 100 electric cars and plug-in hybrids, including the Nissan Leaf and the Chevrolet Volt. By September 2013, WeCar was re-branded as Enterprise CarShare.
Mergers and acquisitions
A planned acquisition of Citer SA was announced in November 2011; this includes the acquisition of subsidiary Atesa. This acquisition would add 30,000 vehicles to the company's fleet and provide entry into the French and Spanish markets.
Enterprise acquired further car share companies including Mint Cars-On-Demand in 2012 (New York City and Boston), I-GO in 2013 (Chicago) and in 2014 Occasional Car in Denver and AutoShare in Toronto, ON.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Enterprise Holdings.|
- Largest Car Rental Companies
- "CHRONOLOGY/KEY MILESTONES" (PDF). Enterprise Holdings. October 2014. Retrieved 23 December 2014.
- "USF joins Enterprise WeCar sharing program". Tampa Bay Business Journal. July 23, 2009. Retrieved 2009-08-17.
- Jim Motavalli (2012-09-21). "In Greenville, S.C., the First Shoots of an E.V. Ecosystem". The New York Times. Retrieved 2012-09-25.
- Enterprise CarShare Rebranding
- Volkman, Kelsey (21 Nov 2011), "Enterprise to buy Citer, enter France and Spain", St. Louis Business Journal, bizjournals.com, retrieved 21 Dec 2011
- Nusca, Andrew. "Enterprise acquires PhillyCarShare". Smart Takes. Smart Planet. Retrieved 4 June 2012.
- "Enterprise acquires Zimride ride-matching business". St. Louis Post-Dispatch. July 12, 2013.