Allamal insaana maa lam ya’lam(English translation) Taught man what he did not know.
1781 (as Aliya Madrasah)2008 (the current status as an autonomous university)
|Type||Public, education and research institution|
His Excellency Shri M.K. Narayanan ,Honourable Governor of West Bengal.
|Vice-Chancellor||Dr. Abu Taleb Khan
Prof. Syed Samsul Alam (Ex)
|Location||Kolkata, West Bengal, India|
|Campus||Salt Lake, Park Circus, Rajarhat, Taltala|
|Affiliations||UGC, Government of India|
Aliah University (Bengali: আলিয়া বিশ্ববিদ্যালয়, informally known as AU), is a state government controlled minority autonomous university in Salt Lake, West Bengal, India. Previously known as Mohammedan College of Calcutta (popularly Calcutta Madrasah), it was elevated to university in 2008 for uplifting the education of Muslims. It offers multiple modern day professional undergraduate and postgraduate programs, offering degrees like M.Tech, MCA and MBA and multiple academic undergraduate and postgraduate programs, offering degrees like M.A, M.Sc and Ph.D. programs in different Engineering, Arts and Science subjects respectively. Aliah University has also preserved its traditional, cultural and theological courses which were already present from its inception from its initial days as Aliya Madrasah. Professor Abu Taleb Khan is its present vice chancellor.
Aliah University has with it the rich heritage of the 229-year old educational and cultural institution, Mohammedan College of Calcutta, popularly known as Madrasah-e-Aliah or Calcutta Madrasah, the first educational institution set up in India in 1780 by Warren Hastings, the then Governor General of India. Thus, one of the oldest centre of higher learning and culture, the institution is steeped in history and many eminent scholars were associated with this institution as administrators, principals, teachers as well as students. Calcutta Madrasah was upgraded to Calcutta Madrasah College and then to Aliah University by the Government of West Bengal through Aliah University Act XXVII of 2007 passed in West Bengal Legislative Assembly.
- Chancellor (Amir-I-Jamia): His Excellency Shri M.K. Narayanan, Governor of West Bengal.
- Vice-Chancellor (Shaikh-Ul-Jamia): Dr. Abu Taleb Khan
- Registrar (Musajjil): Dr. Anwar Hussain Dafadar
- Controller of Examinations: (Mudir-Ul-Imtihanat): Dr. Tanvir Ahmed
- Officer on Special Duty: (Al-Muazzaf-Al-Khass) Mr. Ansar Alam
Admission to most undergraduate and postgraduate courses in Aliah University is granted through written entrance examinations. Admission to M.S. and Ph.D. programmes is based primarily on a personal interview, though candidates have to take written tests as well.
Admission to undergraduate programmes is based on merit rank of the "Aliah University Admission Test" (AUAT), which consists of a written examination, having multiple choice type questions (MCQ), clearing of which leads to an interview and final selection of the candidate. Candidates who qualify for admission through AUAT can apply for admission to B.Tech. (Bachelor of Technology), Integrated M.Tech. (Master of Technology), Integrated MBA (Master of Business Administration), Integrated MCA (Master of Computer Applications), Integrated M.Sc. (Master of Science) and Integrated M.A. (Master of Arts) courses in different Engineering, Business Administration, Science and Arts subjects.
Aliah University has been allotted 20 acres of land for a new campus of an estimated cost of INR 120 crore ($22 Million USD Approx) at New Town, Rajarhat by the WB Govt. Chief minister Mamata Banerjee of West Bengal laid the foundation stone of 'Aliah University Campus' at Rajarhat on 15 December 2011.
Elliot hostel was erected in 1896. The three-storied building was constructed with donations and dedicated to Nawab Abdul Latif Bahadur in recognition of his services in promoting education among the Muslims of Eastern India.
The hostel is at Haji Md. Mohsin Square, Kolkata. Sixty percent of its berths are reserved for the accommodation of Aliah University students studying Islamic Theology and Mumtazul Muhaddethin.
Aliah University library has a collection of literature in Islamic Theology, Islamic Jurisprudence and Law, and Arabic as well as books, periodicals, journals, magazines, papers from a wide range of national and international backgrounds.
The students of Aliah University are involved in extra-curricular activities, and students have their own web portal. Aliah University also organizes an annual fest, presently named Aliah Utsav, at the beginning of the even semester.
- List of oldest universities in continuous operation
- University of Calcutta
- Colleges and institutes in India
- List of universities in India
- University Grants Commission (India)
- Education in India
- Ministry of Human Resource Development (India)
- "IIT Guwahati professor to become new VC of Aliah University". TwoCircles. Retrieved 12 September 2013.
- "Aliah University". IndiaSite Official. Retrieved 12 January 2013.
- "Aliah University". Higher Education in India. Retrieved 12 January 2013.
- "Aliah University". UGC Official Website. Retrieved 12 January 2013.
- "Aliah University, India". Study Abroad Universities. Retrieved 12 January 2013.
- "CM lays foundation of Aliah varsity campus at Rajarhat". Times of India. Retrieved 14 January 2013.
- "Campus Round Up". Aliah University Newsletter 2 (1 October 2010): 2. October 2010.
- "Aliah University- Kolkata, West Bengal". Indian Aide Portal. Retrieved 12 January 2013.