Wiggins playing for Huntington Prep in 2013
|No. 22 – Kansas Jayhawks|
|League||Big 12 Conference|
February 23, 1995 |
|Listed height||6 ft 8 in (2.03 m)|
|Listed weight||200 lb (91 kg)|
(Huntington, West Virginia)
|Career highlights and awards|
Andrew Christian Wiggins (born February 23, 1995) is a Canadian college basketball player. He currently attends the University of Kansas. He was the top college basketball recruit in 2013 and is considered the favourite to be selected with the top pick in the 2014 NBA Draft.
High school career
Wiggins had been rated as the top prospect for 2014, but announced in October 2012 that he would officially reclassify into his original high school class of 2013, and was immediately placed ahead of the previous number one prospect, Jabari Parker, by ESPN.
Wiggins was named the 2013 Naismith Prep Player of the Year on February 25. He was named the 2013 Gatorade National Player of the Year on March 28 as the nation's top high school player. He was the first Canadian player to be so named. In May 2013, he was named Mr. Basketball USA. He was ranked number one high school basketball player by SLAM Magazine.
Wiggins committed to the Kansas Jayhawks men's basketball team on May 14, 2013. Before the announcement, he had narrowed his choices to Florida State University, the University of Kentucky, the University of Kansas and the University of North Carolina. Wiggins joined the Kansas team on June 19, 2013. Andrew Wiggins currently is averaging 16.4 points per game (PPG), and making 36.7% of his three-pointers in his freshman year at KU.
Wiggins participated in the 2010 FIBA Under-17 World Championship and 2012 FIBA Americas Under-18 Championship, assisting the Canadian national team's win of a bronze medal in each tournament. During the 2010 victory, Wiggins was a teammate of Anthony Bennett, the number one overall pick in the 2013 NBA Draft.
- Dodd, Rustin. Andrew Wiggins debuts with big dunk in front of KU fans, Kansas City Star, June 19, 2013.
- Parrish, Gary. 2014 NBA Draft: Projecting next year's lottery picks, CBS Sports, June 28, 2013.
- MIKE GANTER (2010-12-08). "Andrew Wiggins: Canada's great basketball hope". Torontosun.com. Retrieved 2012-09-21.
- Telep, Dave (2012-10-25). "Andrew Wiggins in Class of 2013". espn.com. Retrieved 2012-10-25.
- "Canada's Wiggins wins Naismith award as top high school basketball player in US". Yahoo! Sports. 2013-02-25. Retrieved 2013-02-26.
- Payne, Terrence. Kansas forward Andrew Wiggins first Canadian to win Gatorade Athlete of the Year, NBC Sports, July 16, 2013.
- Schwadron, Abe (2013-03-28). "Andrew Wiggins, Alonzo Mourning Speak About Gatorade POY Award". SLAM Magazine. Retrieved 2013-03-28.
- Flores, Ronnie (2013-05-08). "Andrew Wiggins Named Mr. Basketball USA". HighSchoolHardwood.com. Retrieved 2013-06-30.
- SLAM ONLINE | » SLAM Fresh 75 – 2013
- Andrew Wiggins - 2013-14 Men's Basketball, KU Athletics Department.
- Berman, Carl. 2013 Jordan Brand Classic, Huffington Post, April 17, 2013.
- Top prospect Andrew Wiggins chooses Kansas, Lawrence Journal-World, May 14, 2013.
- Meek, Austin. Wild chase leads Wiggins to KU, Topeka Capital-Journal, May 18, 2013. Retrieved 2013-05-22.
- "Canada Captures Bronze Medal at FIBA Americas U18 Championship!". NorthPoleHoops.com. 2012-06-21. Retrieved 2013-05-22.
- "Andrew Wiggins". Canada Basketball. Retrieved 2013-07-05.