March 1, 1980 |
|Other names||The Assassin|
|Height||6 ft 0 in (1.83 m)|
|Weight||155 lb (70 kg; 11.1 st)|
|Reach||75.5 in (192 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Las Vegas, Nevada|
|Team||Janjira Muay Thai|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Anthony Obinnia Njokuani (born March 1, 1980) is a Nigerian mixed martial artist who currently fights as a Lightweight for the Ultimate Fighting Championship, and has also competed in the WEC, earning "Knockout of the Night" honors three times consecutively with the latter organization.
Born in Lagos, Nigeria, his family immigrated to the United States in 1983, settling in Garland, Texas. He began his martial arts training at the age of 17 and mixed martial arts at 21. Anthony Njokuani has a younger brother named Chidi Njokuani who is also a professional MMA fighter.  Njokuani has also competed for the World Combat League, a kickboxing organization promoted by Chuck Norris that only allows strikes above the waist.
Mixed martial arts career
World Extreme Cagefighting
Njokuani fought IFL veteran Chris Horodecki, who made his WEC debut on December 19, 2009 at WEC 45. Njokuani won via first-round TKO, earning the Knockout of the Night award for the third consecutive time in the WEC.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
Njokuani fought Andre Winner on July 2, 2011 at UFC 132, winning via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-26, 30-26). UFC commentator, Joe Rogan, called it Njokuani's best performance of his career. With this performance, Njokuani became the sixth fighter to land over 100 significant strikes in a single bout.
Njokuani was expected to face Paul Taylor on November 5, 2011 at UFC 138. However, just days before the event, Taylor pulled out of the bout citing an injury. With no time to find a suitable replacement the bout was scrapped.
Njokuani was expected to face Ramsey Nijem on December 30, 2011 at UFC 141. However, Nijem was forced out the bout with an injury and replaced by Danny Castillo. He lost the fight via split decision.
Njokuani was expected to face Paul Taylor on July 11, 2012 at UFC on Fuel TV: Munoz vs. Weidman. However, Taylor was forced out of the bout with yet another injury and replaced by Rafael dos Anjos. Njokuani lost the fight via unanimous decision, and was sidelined for six months as he recovered from surgery to repair a broken right hand suffered in the bout.
A bout with Paul Taylor was scheduled for the third time and was expected to take place on October 26, 2013 at UFC Fight Night 30. However, Taylor was forced to pull out of the bout once again with another injury and later retired. Taylor was replaced this time by Al Iaquinta. On September 24, Njokuani also pulled out of the event with an injury. and was replaced by Piotr Hallmann.
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|24 matches||16 wins||7 losses|
|Win||16-7 (1)||Roger Bowling||KO (punch)||UFC on Fox: Henderson vs. Melendez||April 20, 2013||2||2:52||San Jose, California, United States|
|Loss||15-7 (1)||Rafael dos Anjos||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on Fuel TV: Munoz vs. Weidman||July 11, 2012||3||5:00||San Jose, California, United States|
|Win||15-6 (1)||John Makdessi||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 145||April 21, 2012||3||5:00||Atlanta, Georgia, United States||158 lbs catchweight bout; Makdessi missed weight|
|Loss||14-6 (1)||Danny Castillo||Decision (split)||UFC 141||December 30, 2011||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||14-5 (1)||Andre Winner||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 132||July 2, 2011||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||13-5 (1)||Edson Barboza||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 128||March 19, 2011||3||5:00||Newark, New Jersey, United States||Fight of the Night|
|Win||13-4 (1)||Edward Faaloloto||TKO (elbow)||WEC 52||November 11, 2010||2||4:54||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||12-4 (1)||Maciej Jewtuszko||TKO (punches)||WEC 50||August 18, 2010||1||1:36||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||12-3 (1)||Shane Roller||Submission (rear-naked choke)||WEC 48||April 24, 2010||1||3:21||Sacramento, California, United States|
|Win||12-2 (1)||Chris Horodecki||TKO (head kick and punches)||WEC 45||December 19, 2009||1||3:33||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Knockout of the Night|
|Win||11-2 (1)||Muhsin Corbbrey||TKO (punches)||WEC 43||October 10, 2009||2||1:42||San Antonio, Texas, United States||Knockout of the Night|
|Win||10-2 (1)||Bart Palaszewski||TKO (punches)||WEC 40||April 5, 2009||2||0:27||Chicago, Illinois, United States||Knockout of the Night|
|Loss||9-2 (1)||Benson Henderson||Submission (guillotine choke)||WEC 38||January 25, 2009||2||0:42||San Diego, California, United States|
|Win||9-1 (1)||Aaron Williams||TKO (knees)||SWC 1: Inception||September 19, 2008||1||2:28||Garland, Texas, United States|
|Win||8-1 (1)||Keyon Mike Jackson||KO (knee)||Art of War 3||September 1, 2007||1||2:14||Dallas, Texas, United States|
|Loss||7-1 (1)||Donald Cerrone||Submission (triangle choke)||ROF 29: Aftershock||April 28, 2007||1||4:30||Broomfield, Colorado, United States|
|Win||7-0 (1)||Kenneth Rosfort-Nees||KO (punch)||Art of War 1||March 9, 2007||1||2:12||Dallas, Texas, United States|
|Win||6-0 (1)||Jason Palacios||Decision (unanimous)||Lonestar Beatdown||November 10, 2006||3||N/A||College Station, Texas, United States|
|Win||5-0 (1)||Steven Bratland||Decision (unanimous)||UTS 6||June 26, 2006||3||5:00||Frisco, Texas, United States|
|Win||4-0 (1)||Ira Boyd||Decision (unanimous)||UTS 5||April 29, 2006||3||5:00||Texas, United States|
|Win||3-0 (1)||Devon Miller||KO (punches)||UTS 4||February 25, 2006||2||0:55||Texas, United States|
|Win||2-0 (1)||Ben Dauck||Decision (unanimous)||Inferno Promotions: Meltdown||July 22, 2005||3||5:00||Plano, Texas, United States|
|NC||1-0 (1)||James Martinez||NC (premature stoppage)||Venom - First Strike||September 18, 2004||1||2:47||Huntington Beach, California, United States|
|Win||1-0||Lee King||Decision (unanimous)||REF: Austin Fights||May 3, 2003||3||5:00||Austin, Texas, United States|
- "Anthony Njokuani transformed by culture shock, bullies, father's passing". mmajunkie.com. 2009-12-12.r
- "WEC 43: Cerrone vs. Henderson on October 10 in San Antonio, Texas". MMAFrenzy.com. 2009-01-02. Retrieved 2009-08-29.
- "Chris Horodecki signs with WEC, likely to meet Anthony Njokuani at WEC 45". mmajunkie.com. Archived from the original on 25 October 2009. Retrieved 2009-10-22.
- "Njokuani "comfortable" at WEC 45 while nabbing third-straight "Knockout of the Night"". mmajunkie.com. Archived from the original on 22 December 2009. Retrieved 2009-12-20.
- "Njokuani vs. Roller, Page vs. Banuelos Complete WEC 48 Main Card". mmafrenzy.com. Archived from the original on 12 March 2010. Retrieved 2010-03-08.
- "WEC 48: Aldo vs. Faber - Live Results and Commentary". BLOODYELBOW.com. 2010-04-24. Archived from the original on 26 April 2010. Retrieved 2010-04-25.
- "Njokuani vs. Faaloloto slated for WEC 52 prelims". mmajunkie.com. 2010-10-07.
- "UFC and WEC set to merge in 2011; events to air on Versus and Spike TV". mmajunkie.com. October 28, 2010.
- "Edson Barboza vs. Anthony Njokuani targeted for UFC 128 in March". mmajunkie.com. December 28, 2010.
- "Andre Winner vs. Anthony Njokuani in the Works for UFC 132 in July". MMAWeekly.com. 2011-04-14.
- Morgan, John (July 20, 2011). "Anthony Njokuani vs. Paul Taylor targeted for UFC 138 in England". mmajunkie.com. Archived from the original on 21 July 2011. Retrieved July 20, 2011.
- Stupp, Dann (November 1, 2011). "UFC 138 loses Taylor-Njokuani; Diabate-Perosh promoted to main card". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved November 1, 2011.
- Martin, Damon (November 12, 2011). "Anthony Njokuani vs. Ramsey Nijem Agreed for UFC 141". mmaweekly.com. Retrieved November 12, 2011.
- "Ramsey Nijem out, Danny Castillo in against Anthony Njoukani at UFC 141". MMAjunkie.com. December 7, 2011. Retrieved December 7, 2011.
- "UFC 145; seven bouts shift to Atlanta". mmajunkie.com. January 20, 2012.
- "Anthony Njokuani vs. Paul Taylor added to UFC on FUEL TV 4". mmajunkie.com. April 27, 2012.
- Martin, Damon (May 22, 2012). "Paul Taylor Out of UFC on Fuel 4". mmaweekly.com. Retrieved May 22, 2012.
- "Anthony Njokuani's very, very broken hand". mixedmartialarts.com. July 25, 2012.
- "UFC on FOX 7 adds Njokuani-Bowling". mmajunkie.com. February 7, 2013.
- "Paul Taylor returns, meets Anthony Njokuani at UFC Fight Night 30 in Manchester". mmajunkie.com. August 9, 2013. Retrieved August 9, 2013.
- "Al Iaquinta replaces Paul Taylor, faces Anthony Njokuani at UFC Fight Night 30". mmajunkie.com. 19 September 2013.
- Staff. "Injury knocks Anthony Njokuani out of UFC Fight Night 30 bout with Al Iaquinta". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-09-24.
- Staff. "Piotr Hallman replaces Njokuani, meets Al Iaquinta at UFC Fight Night 30". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-09-26.