|Born||Daniel Alfonso Castillo
August 25, 1979
|Other names||Last Call|
|Height||5 ft 9 in (1.75 m)|
|Weight||155 lb (70 kg; 11.1 st)|
|Reach||71.0 in (180 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Sacramento, California|
|Team||Team Alpha Male|
|Rank||Brown Belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Daniel Alfonso Castillo (born August 25, 1979) is an American mixed martial artist. A professional MMA competitor since 2007, Castillo has made a name for himself fighting in California. He currently fights at lightweight in the Ultimate Fighting Championship. He fights out of Sacramento, California and trains with Urijah Faber at Ultimate Fitness. In May 2013 Danny opened P2O Hot Pilates & Fitness in Sacramento, CA. www.hotpilatessacramento.com
Mixed martial arts career
Castillo began training MMA in high school when he joined his high school wrestling team. His vice principal, who was also the wrestling coach, told Castillo that if he joined the team, he would not call his mother after seeing Castillo constantly in trouble. Castillo claims he was scared his first day at practice, "I got the [expletive] kicked out of me that day, but after that, I wasn't nervous at wrestling practice ever." After leaving private school, Castillo graduated from public school and attended Menlo College; becoming an NAIA All American in 2004.
He made his professional debut in November 2007, fighting twice in the month, winning both fights via first round submission. After going 3-0, Castillo signed to fight on the Palace Fighting Championship's seventh card. He fought Andy Salazar winning via submission due to his tough ground and pound.
He won his fifth straight fight after defeating Strikeforce veteran, Isaiah Hill. With the win, Castillo was signed with the WEC.
World Extreme Cagefighting
Ultimate Fighting Championship
In October 2010, World Extreme Cagefighting merged with the Ultimate Fighting Championship. As part of the merger, all WEC fighters were transferred to the UFC. On December 31, 2010, Castillo officially became a contracted UFC fighter, signing a four fight deal with the promotion.
Castillo faced Shamar Bailey on November 19, 2011 at UFC 139. Bailey came in 3 pounds over, which resulted being fined 20 percent of his earnings, and the bout took place at a catchweight of 158 lb. Castillo won the fight via TKO in the first round.
Castillo faced Anthony Njokuani on December 30, 2011 at UFC 141 on five weeks notice, replacing an injured Ramsey Nijem. Throughout the fight Castillo scored several suplex takedowns and looked to smother his opponent on the ground. He won the fight via split decision.
Castillo was expected to face Michael Johnson on September 1, 2012 at UFC 151. However, after UFC 151 was cancelled, Castillo/Johnson was rescheduled and took place on October 5, 2012 at UFC on FX 5. After a dominant first round put in by Castillo, where he nearly finished Johnson via strikes and then with a submission attempt, he was knocked out cold with a counter left at 1:06 of the second round.
Castillo was expected to face Bobby Green on July 27, 2013 at UFC on Fox 8. However, in mid-July, Green pulled out of the bout citing an injury and was replaced by Tim Means. He won the fight via unanimous decision.
Castillo faced Edson Barboza on December 14, 2013 at UFC on Fox 9. After a dominant first round by Castillo, Barboza was able to rally over rounds two and three, and defeated Castillo via majority decision in a bout that earned both participants Fight of the Night honors.
Castillo was briefly linked to a bout with Isaac Vallie-Flagg on April 26, 2014 at UFC 172. However, the UFC removed Vallie-Flagg from the bout in favor of a match up with Takanori Gomi, while Castillo is expected to remain on the card against Charlie Brenneman.
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|22 matches||16 wins||6 losses|
|Loss||16–6||Edson Barboza||Decision (majority)||UFC on Fox: Johnson vs. Benavidez 2||December 14, 2013||3||5:00||Sacramento, California, United States||Fight of the Night|
|Win||16–5||Tim Means||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on Fox: Johnson vs. Moraga||July 27, 2013||3||5:00||Seattle, Washington, United States||Means missed weight; 160 lb catchweight bout|
|Win||15–5||Paul Sass||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on Fuel TV: Barao vs. McDonald||February 16, 2013||3||5:00||London, England|
|Loss||14–5||Michael Johnson||KO (punches)||UFC on FX: Browne vs. Bigfoot||October 5, 2012||2||1:06||Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States|
|Win||14–4||John Cholish||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on Fox: Diaz vs. Miller||May 5, 2012||3||5:00||East Rutherford, New Jersey, United States|
|Win||13–4||Anthony Njokuani||Decision (split)||UFC 141||December 30, 2011||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||12–4||Shamar Bailey||TKO (punches)||UFC 139||November 19, 2011||1||4:52||San Jose, California, United States||Bailey missed weight; 158 lb catchweight bout|
|Loss||11–4||Jacob Volkmann||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Live: Hardy vs. Lytle||August 14, 2011||3||5:00||Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States|
|Win||11–3||Joe Stevenson||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Live: Sanchez vs. Kampmann||March 3, 2011||3||5:00||Louisville, Kentucky, United States|
|Win||10–3||Will Kerr||KO (punches)||WEC 53||December 16, 2010||1||1:25||Glendale, Arizona, United States|
|Win||9–3||Dustin Poirier||Decision (unanimous)||WEC 50||August 18, 2010||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||8–3||Anthony Pettis||KO (head kick and punches)||WEC 47||March 6, 2010||1||2:17||Columbus, Ohio, United States|
|Loss||8–2||Shane Roller||Submission (rear-naked choke)||WEC 44||November 18, 2009||3||3:32||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||8–1||Ricardo Lamas||TKO (punches)||WEC 42||August 9, 2009||2||4:15||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||7–1||Phil Cardella||Decision (split)||WEC 39||March 1, 2009||3||5:00||Corpus Christi, Texas, United States|
|Win||6–1||Rafael Dias||TKO (punches)||WEC 36||November 5, 2008||2||2:54||Hollywood, Florida, United States|
|Loss||5–1||Donald Cerrone||Submission (armbar)||WEC 34||June 1, 2008||1||1:30||Sacramento, California, United States|
|Win||5–0||Isaiah Hill||Submission (rear-naked choke)||CCFC: Mayhem||May 17, 2008||1||2:46||Santa Rosa, California, United States|
|Win||4–0||Andy Salazar||Submission (punches)||Palace Fighting Championship 7||March 20, 2008||1||1:02||Lemoore, California, United States|
|Win||3–0||Noah Shinable||TKO (punches)||Cage Combat Fighting Championships||February 16, 2008||2||2:42||Sonoma, California, United States|
|Win||2–0||Gigo Jara||Submission (rear-naked choke)||GC 73: High Noon||December 22, 2007||1||3:45||Sacramento, California, United States|
|Win||1–0||Billy Terry||Submission (rear-naked choke)||GC 71: Lock-n-Load||November 11, 2007||1||2:10||Porterville, California, United States|
- Duane Finley (February 8, 2013). "Danny Castillo Determined to Bounce Back Against Sass at UFC on Fuel TV 7". Bleacher Report.
- Nagel, Kyle. "Fight Path: WEC 53's Danny Castillo can thank vice principal for MMA career". MMAjunkie.
- "Donald Cerrone vs Danny Castillo WEC 34 fight booked with Rich Crunkilton injured". www.mmamania.com. 2008-05-28.
- "Danny Castillo vs Rafael Dias WEC 36 fight booked with Ed Ratcliffe scratched". www.mmamania.com. 2008-11-03.
- "Ricardo Lamas vs. Danny Castillo set for WEC 42". www.mmajunkie.com. 2009-06-12.
- "Shane Roller vs. Danny Castillo announced for WEC 44 main card". www.mmajunkie.com. 2009-10-11.
- "Danny Castillo and Anthony Pettis meet in lightweight matchup at WEC 47". www.mmajunkie.com. 2010-01-25.
- "Danny Castillo vs. newcomer Dustin Poirier a late addition to WEC 50 fight card". mmajunkie.com. 2010-07-26.
- "Danny Castillo vs. Will Kerr set for WEC 53". mmajunkie.com. October 28, 2010.
- "UFC and WEC set to merge in 2011; events to air on Versus and Spike TV". mmajunkie.com. October 28, 2010.
- Stupp, Dann. "WEC lightweight Danny Castillo gets multi-fight UFC deal". MMAjunkie.
- "Joe Stevenson vs. Danny Castillo a late addition to UFC on Versus 3". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2011-01-28.
- "Lightweights Danny Castillo vs. Jacob Volkmann set for UFC on Versus 5". mmajunkie.com. May 11, 2011.
- "Shamar Bailey vs. Danny Castillo is 12th addition to UFC 139 fight card". mmajunkie.com. October 18, 2011.
- "UFC 139 official weigh-in results: Henderson (203), 'Shogun' (205) on weight (Updated)". MMAJunkie.com. November 18, 2011. Retrieved November 18, 2011.
- "Ramsey Nijem out, Danny Castillo in against Anthony Njoukani at UFC 141". MMAjunkie.com. December 7, 2011. Retrieved December 7, 2011.
- "Danny Castillo vs. John Cholish added to UFC on FOX 3 in May". MMAjunkie.com. February 7, 2012. Retrieved February 7, 2012.
- "Danny Castillo vs Michael Johnson booked for UFC 151 on Sept. 1 in Las Vegas". mmamanania.com. June 21, 2012. Retrieved June 21, 2012.
- "Castillo-Johnson shifts from UFC 151 to UFC on FX 5". mmajunkie.com. August 23, 2012.
- "Castillo-Sass added to UFC on FUEL TV 7". MMAjunkie.com. December 6, 2012. Retrieved December 6, 2012.
- "UFC on Fuel 7 results: Danny Castillo stifles Paul Sass". MMAfighting.com. February 16, 2013. Retrieved February 16, 2013.
- "Castillo vs. Green set for UFC on FOX 8". MMAjunkie.com. April 11, 2013. Retrieved April 11, 2013.
- Staff (2013-07-11). "Tim Means replaces Bobby Green, faces Danny Castillo at UFC on FOX 8". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-07-11.
- Staff (2013-09-18). "Danny Castillo meets Edson Barboza at UFC on FOX 9 in Sacramento". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-09-18.
- Staff (2013-12-14). "Edson Barboza vs. Danny Castillo". mmadecisions.com. Retrieved 2013-12-14.
- Shaun Al-Shatti (February 20, 2014). "Danny Castillo vs. Isaac Vallie-Flagg slated for UFC 172 in Baltimore". MMAfighting.com. Retrieved February 20, 2014.
- Staff (March 4, 2014). "Takanori Gomi replaces Danny Castillo, meets Isaac Vallie-Flagg at UFC 172". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved March 4, 2014.
- Staff (2014-03-05). "Danny Castillo rebooked against Charlie Brenneman at UFC 172". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-03-05.