|Type||Public Junior College|
|President||Dr. Sonya Christian|
|Location||Bakersfield, CA, USA|
|Campus||Suburban, 153 acres (62 ha)|
|Affiliations||Kern Community College District|
Bakersfield College (BC) is a public community college located in Bakersfield, California, USA. BC serves about 17,400 students each semester, and offers Associate's degree and certificate programs for students to choose from. BC is part of the Kern Community College District (KCCD), which is itself part of the California Community Colleges system.
BC was founded in 1913 and initially housed on the campus of Bakersfield High School (then Kern County Union High School) before moving in 1956 to its current location "on the hill" in northeast Bakersfield on the "Panorama Bluffs" that overlook the prolific Kern River Oilfield. BC is one of the oldest continually operating community colleges in the United States.
The main campus is located on a 153-acre (62 ha) plot in Northeast Bakersfield, and it also operates two satellite campuses: the Weill Institute in downtown Bakersfield, shared by the Kern Community College District, and at the Delano Campus in Delano, California, approximately 35 miles (56 km) north of Bakersfield.
Organization and administration
BC is part of the Kern Community College District (KCCD).
BC serves about 17,400 students each semester. The college president is Dr. Sonya Christian.
The Renegade Rip is the student-run newspaper within the journalism department at BC. Published biweekly, The Rip currently has a circulation of approximately 4,000. An online edition is also available. The Rip is a regular contender and recipient of JACC (Journalism Association of Community Colleges) awards at both the state and regional levels and in 2003-2004 won the Associated Collegiate Press National Pacemaker Award. They are a member of the Journalism Association of Community Colleges and compete in the Southern California region.
Rip reporters and photographers cover the campus. The students cover topics ranging from crime on campus, to student profiles, sports and local entertainment. The tradition of The Renegade Rip has always been to chase news stories and focus on what affects the student body at BC and the community of Bakersfield as a whole.
The Renegade Pep Band supports the college's athletic teams.
The BC Renegades ('Gades) compete in the Western State Conference (WSC).
The college has an extensive athletics program including: men's and women's basketball, men's and women's cross country, men's and women's golf, football, soccer, volleyball, wrestling, baseball, softball, men's and women's tennis, men's and women's track and field, and men's and women's swimming.
Renegades football has a long tradition of success in Junior College-level competition, and plays out of the 20,000-seat, on-campus Memorial Stadium.
|This section needs additional citations for verification. (April 2013)|
- Rishard Mathews, NFL wide receiver
- Brandon Banks, CFL wide receiver for the Hamilton Tiger-Cats
- Robert Beltran, film and television actor, best known for playing Chakotay on Star Trek: Voyager
- Vern Burke, former NFL tight end, Oregon Sports Hall of Famer
- Tyrone Crawford, NFL defensive end
- Ric Drasin, former professional wrestler, designer of the original Gold's Gym logo and the World Gym gorilla logo.
- Phil Dumatrait, former MLB pitcher
- David Dunn, former NFL wide receiver
- Jean Fuller, politician serving in the California State Senate
- Frank Gifford, Pro Football Hall of Fame and sports commentator
- Dallas Grider, former high school and college football coach
- Liz Gorman, football player in the Lingerie Football League
- Gerald Haslam, News and book author
- Joe Hernandez, former NFL and CFL wide receiver
- George Jones (American football), former NFL running back.
- Junior Kennedy, 1968-1975 MLB second baseman with the Cincinnati Reds and Chicago Cubs
- Colby Lewis, MLB pitcher
- Guy Madison, film and television actor
- Billy Mamaril,Filipino professional basketball player
- Richard Miles, former ambassador
- Spain Musgrove, former NFL defensive tackle
- Brennan Newberry, NASCAR driver
- Mark Nichols, former NFL wide receiver
- Charles Noland, professional actor
- Gordon L. Park, former member of the Wyoming House of Representatives
- Rocky Rasley, former NFL guard
- Greg Robinson, former head coach, Syracuse University football; two-time Super Bowl-winning defensive coordinator of Denver Broncos
- Michael Rubio, politician
- Mary K. Shell, former mayor of Bakersfield and member of the Kern County Board of Supervisors
- Carl Smith, former offensive coordinator of the Jacksonville Jaguars
- Taj Smith, CFL wide receiver for the Saskatchewan Roughriders
- Andre Spencer, former NBA player
- Jeremy Staat, former NFL defensive end
- Walter W. Stiern, former California State Senator
- Jim Stiger, former NFL running back
- John Tarver, former running back for the New England Patriots
- Mike Waufle, NFL defensive line coach
- Dick Witcher, former NFL wide receiver
- Jake Woods, MLB pitcher
- Delbert E. Wong, first Chinese-American judge in the continental United States
- Louis Wright, former NFL cornerback
- Bakersfield College website
- Marketing and Public Relations Department
- The Renegade Rip - Bakersfield College's Award-Winning Student Newspaper
- Student Government Association website