Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Rohit Shetty|
|Produced by||Ajay Devgn
|Written by||Sajid-Farhad (dialogues)|
|Screenplay by||Yunus Sajawal|
|Story by||Rohit Shetty|
|Music by||Himesh Reshammiya
|Editing by||Steven H. Bernard|
|Studio||Fox Star Studios|
|Distributed by||Ajay Devgn Films
Shree Ashtavinayak Cine Vision Ltd
|Release date(s)||6 July 2012|
|Running time||149 minutes|
|Budget||700 million (US$13 million)|
|Box office||1580 million (US$29 million)
Bol Bachchan is a 2012 Bollywood romantic action comedy film directed by Rohit Shetty, and featuring Abhishek Bachchan, Ajay Devgn, Asin and Prachi Desai in lead roles. The film, made on a massive budget of 700 million (US$13 million), is inspired from popular 1979 film Gol Maal. Bol Bachchan's official trailer was released on 24 May 2012 and the film was released on 6 July 2012 in around 2575 screens worldwide with 2700 prints. It received mixed critical acclaim but had a good opening at the box office The film supposedly created a record for its advance bookings.Bol Bachchan has become one of the highest-grossing Bollywood film of all time in India. Box Office India declared the film as a "hit". where it grossed 1580 million (US$29 million) worldwide.
Abbas (Abhishek Bachchan) lives in Chandni Chowk with his sister Sania (Asin Thottumkal). They are legally fighting for an ancestral property land case. But the odds turn against them and they lose. Their well wisher and family friend, Shastri (Asrani), advises and convinces them to migrate to his village Ranakpur where he assures Abbas that he will get him a job. They arrive at Ranakpur village and Abbas is sent to meet the powerful Prithviraj Raghuvanshi (Ajay Devgn), a big-shot in the village who would get Abbas a job. Abbas witnesses a child being trapped inside a locked temple, therefore he breaks open the lock and saves the child. Abbas had no idea that the temple had been locked for many years & nobody in the village has permission to enter it. Prithviraj arrives at the scene and asks Abbas his name. Abbas's friend comes out with a fake name 'Abhishek Bachchan', as it would create a rage if villagers came to know that the lock of a temple had been broken by a Muslim. From here starts a series of cover-ups, goof-ups and comic situations where to cover one lie, Abbas starts padding up with a bigger lie telling people that he also has a twin brother with no mustache. From here on starts the topsy-turvy journey of a single person acting as two different entities.
- Ajay Devgn as Prithviraj Raghuvanshi
- Abhishek Bachchan as Abbas Ali / Abhishek Bachchan
- Asin as Sania Ali / Apeksha
- Prachi Desai as Radhika Raghuvanshi
- Archana Puran Singh as Zohra / Madhumati
- Krishna Abhishek as Ravi Shastri
- Asrani as Shastri
- Amitabh Bachchan as himself in the title song Bol Bachchan
- Paresh Ganatra as Builder (cameo)
- Neeraj Vora as Maakhan
- Vijay Ishwarlal Pawar as Kailash (actor in Ravi's plays )
- Jeetu Verma as Vikrant Raghuvanshi
The film was originally expected for a Diwali 2011 release, though was postponed to 2012. On Dussehra 2011, director Rohit Shetty who previously directed the comedy flick, Golmaal 3 (2010), did first give actor Ajay Devgn an offer for Golmaal 4, but Devgn claimed "Golmaal 4 will happen next to next year. It's necessary to have two years gap between two Golmaal films. It's not good if it comes every year." After the announcement, it was added that Bol Bachchan will be made before Golmaal 4. In January 2011, it was revealed that actress Asin was roped in for the first female lead after Bipasha Basu rejected the role. Earlier, actress Genelia D'Souza was signed to play the second female lead, but due to her differences with the makers, she opted out of the project and hence the role was offered to Prachi Desai.
In Jubilee Comedy Circus, Krushna Abhishek did a performance of Rohit Shetty never giving him a film role to do but having promised him in earlier seasons of the show, Rohit was so impressed by the performance, he decided to give Krushna a role in Bol Bachchan. Shetty also added co-host Archana Puran Singh from the same show to the film cast. It was revealed in the 300th episode special of Comedy Circus, where Rohit Shetty was a guest judge, that Paresh Ganatra was among the cast. The film has been shot at various locations, including Rohit Shetty's seemingly favourite Panchgani and Chomu Palace, among other locations.
|Soundtrack album by Himesh Reshammiya|
|Released||6 July 2012|
|Himesh Reshammiya chronology|
The music of the film was composed by Himesh Reshammiya while the lyrics were penned by Farhad-Sajid, Shabbir Ahmed, Swanand Kirkire and Sameer. The album was released on 7 June 2012 and included four original soundtracks along with four remix versions of the tracks. Three songs were composed by Reshammiya of which two were featured in the film and one was listed only in the album. One song, "Nach Le Nach Le", composed by Ajay-Atul was also included in the album. Among the songs, "Jab Se Dekhi Hai", "Nach Le Nach Le" became moderately popular.
All music composed by Himesh Reshammiya, except where noted.
|1.||"Bol Bachchan"||Farhad-Sajid||Amitabh Bachchan, Abhishek Bachchan, Ajay Devgn
Himesh Reshammiya, Mamta Sharma, Vineet Singh
|2.||"Chalao Na Naino Se"||Shabbir Ahmed||Himesh Reshammiya & Shreya Ghoshal||5:41|
|3.||"Nach Le" (Music by Ajay-Atul)||Swanand Kirkire||Sukhwinder Singh, Shreya Ghoshal||4:43|
|4.||"Jab Se Dheki Hai"||Sameer||Mohit Chauhan||4:13|
|5.||"Bol Bachchan Remix" (Remix by:DJ A.Sen and DJ Amann Nagpal)||Farhad-Sajid||Amitabh Bachchan, Abhishek Bachchan, Ajay Devgn
Himesh Reshammiya, Mamta Sharma, Vineet Singh
|6.||"Chalao Na Naino Se Remix" (Remix by:DJ Sheizwood)||Shabbir Ahmed||Himesh Reshammiya & Shreya Ghoshal||5:27|
|7.||"Nach Le Remix" (Remix by: DJ Shiva)||Swanand Kirkire||Sukhwinder Singh, Shreya Ghoshal||5:09|
|8.||"Jab Se Dheki Hai Remix" (Remix by:Teenu Arora)||Shabbir Ahmed||Mohit Chauhan||4:06|
Bol Bachchan was released on 6 July 2012 in 2575 screens in India. Upon release, the film received mixed critical response, but strong box office collections by the end its first weekend. On the review aggregator website Top10Bollywood, the film scored 2.31, based on 34 reviews.
Critical reception 
On positive side, Taran Adarsh of Bollywood Hungama gave the film 4 out of 5 stars and said, "On the whole, Bol Bachchan is a dhamaal entertainer that has the Rohit Shetty stamp all over it. A film that pays homage to the cinema of 1970s and 1980s, especially the ones made by Manmohan Desai. Big stars, big visuals, big entertainment, Bol Bachchan has it all." Devesh Sharma of Filmfare also awarded the film 4 out of 5 stars and commented, "How we wish director Rohit Shetty had kept aside his passion of blowing up vehicles wholescale just this once. The exaggerated action scenes eat into the narrative and jar the pace. Would this film be a crowd pleaser– well yes. It’s a good leave-your-brains-behind product that Shetty is famous for. There are flashes that suggest he could have gone beyond and made a more polished film but the lure of making a blockbuster proved too much, I guess. The masses would be happy but the same can’t be said for the soul of Hrishikesh Mukherjee." Srijana Mitra Das of Times of India gave the film 3.5 out of 5 stars and stated, "Rohit Shetty's latest movie has a constant up-and-down aspect to it, one sequence making you shriek in your seat with laughter, another sending your mind wandering off to the mundane. But at the very heart of things Shetty's madly in love with the movies and BB is his homage to that all-time classic, Golmaal." Mrigank Dhaniwala of Koimoi also gave the film 3.5 out of 5 stars and concluded, "On the whole, Bol Bachchan delivers entertainment in huge dollops. For that, it will earn the love of the paying public and will have a successful run at the box-office." Independent Bollywood gave 4/5 stars to the movie and said 'Go For It'." Gaurav Malani of Times of India gave the film a positive feedback and said, "For a (pleasant) change, Rohit Shetty doesn't do Golmaal 'his' style. Rather he does Golmaal in its 'original' form and that's what creates a decent difference, making Bol Bachchan fairly entertaining!". Dinesh Prakash of RATEMOVIESHERE gave the film 3 out of 5 stars and stated, "Just go to theater with your heart and leave the brain at home. Then you will enjoy the movie. It is a paisa vasool movie."
Sukanya Verma of Rediff gave the film 2.5 out of 5 stars and stated, "Bol Bachchan is dispensable cinema, forgotten almost immediately after it's over. What I kept wondering is how does Asrani who acted in Mukerjee's acclaimed films like Chupke Chupke, Abhimaan, Bawarchi feel about working in the remake of a film where the hero wore his kurta. Don't know what I'm talking about? You deserve Bol Bachchan. But if you do, you must have already begun scouting for your copy of Gol Maal somewhere." Shubhra Gupta of The Indian Express gave the film 2.5 out of 5 stars and commented, "If your nosy is not turned up too high, ‘'Bol Bachchan’', less blaring than your standard Rohit Shetty comedy, can give you sporadic chuckles, and a few helpess laughs. Can’t expect more." Vinayak Chakravorthy of India Today gave the film 2.5 out of 5 stars and concluded, "Far from being LOL stuff, Bol Bachchan ends up being Bore Bachchan, with a lame climax."
The film received some negative reviews as well. Rajeev Masand of CNN-IBN gave the film 2 out of 5 stars and stated, "Even if you're a fan of Rohit Shetty's cinema, it's unlikely your chest will become a blouse over this one!" Blessy Chettiar of DNA India gave the film 2 out of 5 stars and commented, "If you liked the Shetty Golmaals and Singham, this review will only be bol bachchan for you. Have fun while it lasts." Ananya Bhattacharya of Zee News gave the film and said, "They say what can’t be cured, must be endured. Once you give in to that adage and ask your white matter to exit the theatre, you will enjoy the film. Watch ‘Bol Bachchan’ just for laughing." Aniruddha Guha of DNA India gave the film 2 out of 5 stars and stated, "Bol Bachchan, overall, falls short of being a laugh riot in spite of having the ammunition for it. In its current form, it’s best enjoyed inebriated." Saibal Chatterjee of NDTV gave the film 1.5 out of 5 stars and concluded that "Bol Bachchan is a comedy so absurd that it could reduce you to tears of despair. Conversely, if you have the stomach for such rampant silliness, it might propel you into paroxysms of delight. The call is entirely yours." Kunal Guha of Yahoo! India rated the movie 1 out of 5 stars and said, "Bol Bachchan (BB) jams chopsticks up the nose of Hrishikesh Mukherjee’s comic classic ‘Gol Maal’ and digs itself six feet under with it. While the story is same in theory, being a Rohit Shetty film only adds some cars nailing somersaults, trucks attempting a ballet, baddies playing mid-air Garba after being biffed and Ajay Devgn drawing his eyebrows close enough to show that he means business."
- Winner, Screen Award for Best Comedian: Abhishek Bachchan
- Winner, Stardust Award for Best Actor (Comedy/Romance): Abhishek Bachchan
- Winner, Zee Cine Award for Best Actor in a Comic Role: Abhishek Bachchan
- Winner, Big Star Entertainment Award for Best Actor in Comedy: Abhishek Bachchan
- Nominated, Stardust Award for Best Breakthrough Supporting Performance (Female): Prachi Desai
- Nominated, Stardust Award for Best Comedy Actress (Female): Asin Thottumkal
- Nominated, Screen Awards Best Actress (Popular Choice): Asin Thottumkal
Box Office 
Bol Bachchan opened better at single screens as compared to multiplexes. Single screens on average opened to around 70% mark while multiplexes were more closer to the 60% mark. Bol Bachchan collected around 112.5 million (US$2.1 million) nett on its first day. Bol Bachchan had a good jump on Sunday as it grossed around 147.5 million (US$2.7 million) nett for a 380 million (US$7.0 million) nett weekend. The film collected 60 million (US$1.1 million) on Monday. Bol Bachchan has come into its own on Tuesday with strong collections of around 57.5 million (US$1.1 million) nett and a total of 500 million (US$9.2 million) nett in five days. Bol Bachchan has had a good first week and collected 600 million (US$11 million) nett.The first week collections of Bol Bachchan are better than Singham but less than Golmaal 3. Bol Bachchan collected around 32.5 million (US$590,000) nett on its second Friday. Its a 70% drop from its first day as multiplex business was hit by the new release Cocktail but single screen business remained good. The film has collected around 630 million (US$12 million) nett in eight days. Bol Bachchan crossed the 750 million (US$14 million) nett mark in ten days as it grossed 147.5 million (US$2.7 million) nett approx over the weekend. Bol Bachchan grossed around 222.5 million (US$4.1 million) nett in its second week taking its two-week total to 830 million (US$15 million) nett. Bol Bachchan grossed 97.5 million (US$1.8 million) nett approx in week three,thus taken its total to 927.5 million (US$17 million). Bol Bachchan had grossed 1 billion (US$18 million) at the end of its run in domestic market. Its final distributor share was around 527.5 million (US$9.7 million).
Bol Bachchan had a decent opening Overseas of around $2 million. UAE was good as comedy films do better in that market. Bol Bachchan has grossed 207.1 million (US$3.8 million) in 17 days. Finally,The film netted US$ 4 Million overseas.
See also 
- "BOL BACHCHAN (12A)". Retrieved 12 December 2012.
- "'Bol Bachchan' crosses Rs 50 crore mark". ibnlive.in. 10 July 2012.
- "Top Ten Worldwide Grossers 2012". Boxofficeindia. Retrieved 17 January 2013.
- "Devgn, Abhishek in Bol Bachchan". Indian Express. 28 December 2010. Retrieved 10 July 2012.
- Bol Bachchan Has Good First Day
- "Bol Bachchan gets record advance bookings". 6 July 2012. Retrieved 10 July 2012.
- "Fastest to the Century: Barfi! In 17 Days". Boxofficeindia. 9 October 2012. Retrieved 9 October 2012.
- "Box Office Earnings 06/06/12 – 12/07/12 (Nett Collections in Ind Rs)". boxofficeindia.
- Tuteja, Joginder. "After Diwali, Ajay makes summer as his own with Bol Bachchan". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 2011-08-31.
- "Ajay and Abhishek ka BOL BACHCHAN". Yahoo! Movies. 14 December 2010.
- Raymond Ronamai (19 July 2011). "Genelia opts out of Bachchan film". Entertainment.oneindia.in. Retrieved 2012-07-11.
- "Rohit Shetty signs Archana Puran Singh, VIP and Krishna for Bol Bachchan". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 2011-08-31.
- "Shooting Locations for Bol Bachchan".
- "Movie Location Chomu Palace".
- "Bol Bachchan Tracklist". HindiSongsLyrics. Retrieved 7 June 2012.
- "Bol Bachchan music review".
- "Bol Bachchan generates gross 72.8 crore". India Today. 9 July 2012.
- "Bol Bachchan Movie Reviews Ratings". Top 10 Bollywood.
- Adarsh, Taran (5 July 2012). "Bol Bachchan Review Bollywood Hungama". Bollywood Hungama.
- Sharma, Devesh (6 July 2012). "Movie review: Bol Bachchan". Filmfare.
- Das, Srijana Mitra (5 July 2012). "Review: Bol Bachchan". Times of India.
- Dhaniwala, Mrigank (6 July 2012). "Bol Bachchan Review". Koimoi.
- Saif, Faisal (5 July 2012). "Bol Bachchan Review Independent Bollywood". Independent Bollywood.
- Malani, Gaurav (6 July 2012). "Bol Bachchan: Movie Review". Times of India.
- Prakash, Dinesh (6 July 2012). "Dinesh Prakash reviews: Bol Bachchan Review". www.ratemovieshere.com.
- Verma, Sukanya (6 July 2012). "Review: Bol Bachchan is amateurish and silly". Rediff.
- Gupta, Shubhra (6 July 2012). "Bol Bachchan review Indian Express". Indian Express.
- Chakravorthy, Vinayak (6 July 2012). "Movie Review: Bol Bachchan". India Today.
- Masand, Rajeev (7 July 2012). "Masand: 'Bol Bachchan' offers genuine laughs". CNN-IBN.
- Blessy Chettiar (6 July 2012). "Review: Bol Bachchan tries too hard to be funny". DNA India.
- Bhattacharya, Ananya (7 July 2012). "‘Bol Bachchan’ review: Rohit Shetty and his troupe fail to impress!". Zee News.
- Guha, Aniruddha (6 July 2012). "Aniruddha Guha reviews: Bol Bachchan is a borewell". DNA India.
- Chatterjee, Saibal (6 July 2012). "Review: Bol Bachchan". NDTV.
- Guha, Kunal (5 July 2012). "Bol Bachchan review | Movie Reviews - Yahoo! Movies India". In.movies.yahoo.com. Retrieved 2012-07-11.
- "Bol Bachchan Opens Better at Single Screens". boxofficeindia. 6 July 2012.
- "Bol Bachchan Saturday Business". boxofficeindia. 8 July 2012.
- "− Bol Bachchan Has Strong Sunday". boxofficeindia. 9 July 2012.
- "Bol Bachchan Has 6 Crore Monday". boxofficeindia. 10 July 2012.
- "Bol Bachchan Has Strong Tuesday". boxofficeindia. 11 July 2012.
- "Bol Bachchan Has Good First Week". boxofficeindia. 13 July 2012.
- "Bol Bachchan Second Friday Business". boxofficeindia. 14 July 2012.
- "Bol Bachchan Crosses 75 Crore in Ten Days". boxofficeindia. 16 July 2012.
- "Bol Bachchan Collects 83 Crore in Two Weeks". boxofficeindia. 20 July 2012.
- "Bol Bachchan Week Three Territorial Breakdown". boxofficeindia. 30 July 2012.
- "Top Ten 2012 Lifetime Grossers". boxofficeindia. Retrieved 31 October 2012.
- "All INDIA Distributor Shares 2012: Diwali Releases Combined Equal Ek Tha Tiger". Retrieved 29 November 2012.
- "Bol Bachchan Has Decent Opening Teri Meri Kahaani Fair". boxofficeindia. 11 July 2012.
- "Cocktail $3.75 Million in Ten Days". boxofficeindia. 25 July 2012.
- "Top Grossers Overseas 2012". Box Office India. Retrieved 5 January 2012.
- "Jism 2 Has No Takers". Boxofficeindia. Retrieved 8 August 2012.