Jones Beach (New South Wales)
Jones Beach visible in the centre of the picture, with(left) and (right).
|State||New South Wales|
|Regions||Illawarra / South Coast|
|Local government area||Kiama|
|Length||0.9 km (1 mi), north-south|
Jones Beach, also known as Boyds Beach, is a beach located on the south-eastern coast of Australia, facing the Tasman Sea. The beach is located east of the settlement of and about 2 kilometres (1.2 mi) south by east of the settlement of in the Illawarra and South Coast regions of New South Wales.
Jones Beach is a relatively straight east-facing white sand beach that is approximately 900 metres (3,000 ft) long, located between Minnamurra Point, a 30 metres (98 ft) high headland, and basalt columns of the southern Cathedral Rocks. The beach is also known as Boyds Beach, with the backing community called Kiama Downs. A road runs the length of the beach, with the northern half given over to sand dunes, parks and the Kiama Downs Surf Life Saving Club, that was founded in 1982; while some beachfront houses back the southern half. The beach receives waves averaging 1–1.5 metres (3 ft 3 in–4 ft 11 in), which result in a single bar usually cut by six, including permanent rips against each headland, the northern being the stronger. Rocks also occur in the surf toward the southern end.
It is a popular tourist spot and the beach is patrolled. Facilities include wheelchair accessible toilets, limited undercover and shaded picnic areas, and bicycle racks. Pets, glass or bottles, firearms, and jetskis are not permitted.
- "Jones Beach". Geographical Names Register (GNR) of NSW. Geographical Names Board of New South Wales. Retrieved 30 December 2013.
- "Place Name Search: Jones Beach". Geoscience Australia. Australian Government. 2010. Retrieved 30 December 2013.
- "Jones/boyds". Beach Safe. Surf Life Saving Australia. 2013. Retrieved 30 December 2013.
- "Our beautiful beaches". Kiama Municipal Council. 2013. Retrieved 30 December 2013.
- "See & Do: Beaches". Kiama Tourism. 2012. Retrieved 30 December 2013.
- "Jones Beach Boardriders Inc". Surfing Australia. 2013. Retrieved 30 December 2013.