|Nickname(s): land of coffee|
|Founded by||King Rukmangada|
|Named for||Coffee, mountains (Mullayanagiri range)|
|• Total||30 km2 (10 sq mi)|
|• Density||3,900/km2 (10,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|PIN||577101 - 577102|
|Vehicle registration||KA- 18|
Chikmagalur (also known as Chikkamagaluru) is a city in Chikkamagaluru district in the Indian state of Karnataka. Located in the foothills of Mullayanagiri range, Chikmagalur is famous for coffee and is known as the 'coffee land' of Karnataka. National Highway 173 (India) passes through the city.
Chikmagalur district was called Kadur district until 1947. It is situated roughly in the south-western part of Karnataka state. A large area of this district is Malenadu, i.e., a largely forested hilly region of heavy rainfall. Chikmagalur takes its name from the word "Chikkamagala Uru" which literally means younger daughter's town. It is said to have been given as a dowry to the younger daughter of Rukmangada, the legendary chief of Sakrepatna. Another part of the town bestowed on the elder daughter is known as Hiremagalur. Some old inscriptions reveals that these two places were known as Kiriya-muguli and Piriya-muguli. In a fertile valley south of the Baba-Budan hill range is the headquarters town of the district.Center government have approved the request to rename the city in October 2014 and Chikmagalur will be renamed (along with other 12 cities) to "Chikkamagaluru" on November 1, 2014.
Chikmagalur is at an elevation of 1090 meters (3,400 feet). The temperature of the city varies from 11-20 °C during winter to 25-32 °C during summer.
As of 2011 India census, Chikmagalur had a population of 1,18,496. Males constitute 51% of the population and females 49%. Chikmagalur has an average literacy rate of 72%, higher than the national average of 59.5%, with male literacy of 80% and female literacy of 73%. 11% of the population is under 6 years of age.
Chikmagalur has a number of educational institutes. Adichunchanagiri Institute of Technology is an engineering college located in Chikmagalur. Sreenivasa Shetty law college offers bachelor degree in law.
- Jairam Ramesh: Former Union Minister was born in Chikmagalur.
- "Census 2011". The Registrar General & Census Commissioner, India. Retrieved 24 July 2014.
- Renaming, Cities (18 Oct 2014). "Bangalore, Mysore, Other Karnataka Cities to be Renamed on 1 November" (ibtimes.co.in). ibtimes.co.in.
- Renaming, Cities (18 Oct 2014). "Centre nod for Karnataka's proposal on renaming cities". The Hindu.
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Chikmagalur.|