Kuriniji flowers at Baba Budan Hill Ranges, Chikkamagaluru, Karnataka
|Elevation||1,895 m (6,217 ft)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Dattagiri / Baba Budangiri (or Bababudangiri or Baba Budan Giri) is a mountain in the Dattagiri Hill Range / Baba Budan Giri Range of the Western Ghats of India. Located in the Chikkamagaluru District of Karnataka, Dattagiri / Baba Budangiri is known for its shrine to the Sufi saint Baba Budan, a pilgrimage site for Hindus and Muslims.
Peaks in the Dattagiri / Baba Budan Giri Range are the Mullayanagiri and Dattagiri / Baba Budangiri (height 1895 m). Collectively, these peaks are known as Chandradrona Parvatha Shreni (Chandradrona Mountain Range) as they naturally form the shape of a crescent moon.
Mullayanagiri (also spelt Mullayangiri or Mullainagiri) is the highest peak in the Baba Budan Giri Range. With a height of 1930 m (6317 ft), it is the highest peak between the Himalayas and the Nilgiris. There is famous trek trail between Mullayanagiri and Bababudangiri.
Nearby places of interest
- Caves: Three large caves said to have been sanctified by three siddhas contain their icons and gaddiges (tombs) and an annual 'jatra' (fair) is held here in their honour. The enthralling scenery makes this a much frequented pilgrim centre.
- Seethala contains a 'matha' and the dual shrine temple of 'Seethala-Mallikarjuna'.
- Waterfalls: A short distance from here are the three waterfalls with epic associations, namely Gada Theertha, Nallikayi Theertha and Kamana Theertha.
- Gada Theertha, according to a myth was created by the pandava prince, Bheema with his 'gada', the club, to quench the thirst of his mother during their exile.
- Pilgrims who bathe in the Nellikayi Theertha formed by Manikya Dhara waterfall, leave behind one item of their clothing as per a local belief.
Manikyadhara Falls is near Kemmangundi of Chikmagalur district. It is on the Baba Budan Giri Hills, which is a sacred place for Muslims and Hindus. It is one of the main attractions of Baba Budan Giri or Dattapeeta.
It is approximately 40 km from Chickmagalur town.
Baba Budan Giri Range
Dattagiri Hills or Baba Budan Giri Range is a range of mountains in the Western Ghats of Karnataka, India. The range, originally known as Chandra Drona Parvatha, takes its current name from the Dattapeeta Cave and 17th century Sufi saint Baba Budan. The Dattagiri or Baba Budan Giri Range includes the highest peaks of Karnataka. Unique mountain flowers called kurinji blooms in these hill ranges once every 12 years. The last time this spectacle happened was in 2006.
Peaks in the Dattagiri Hills/Baba Budan Giri Range include: