Christian (given name)
|Language(s)||Ancient Greek and Latin, Hebrew|
|Meaning||"follower of Christ"|
|See also||Christian (surname)|
|Look up Christian in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
Christian is a given name borne by males and females. The name is derived from the Latin Christianus, meaning "follower of Christ". The word Christ being used to translate the Hebrew messiah. It has been commonly used as a name since the Middle Ages - especially amongst females.
Today the name is popular in Europe, United States and other English-speaking countries. Today in Europe — though not the United States — it is almost exclusively used as a male name, but in the 17th and 18th centuries it was a popular female first name in Scotland.
Female variants of the name include Christine, Christina, Christiane, Kristen, Kristin, and Kirsten. Holders of the name Christian may go by the nicknames or shortened forms Chris, Chrissy, "Crix" or Xian.
In other languages
- Christiaan (Afrikaans, Dutch)
- Karsten (German, Dutch)
- Христо, Християн, Кристиян or Кристиан (Bulgarian)
- Kristian, Kristi, Kristo (Albanian)
- Kristián (Czech, Slovak)
- Kristjan (Estonian, Faroese, Slovenian)
- Kristian (Estonian, Finnish, Danish, Norwegian or Swedish)
- Chrétien (French)
- Críosdaidh (Gaelic)
- Christian (Danish, German, French)
- Krisztián (Hungarian), for the Danish kings Keresztély
- Kristján (Icelandic)
- Cristiano (Italian and Portuguese)
- Kristiāns (Latvian)
- Kristijonas (Lithuanian)
- Кристијан or Христијан (Macedonian)
- Creestee (Manx)
- Krystian (Polish)
- Cristian (Galician)
- Cristian or Cristián (Italian, Spanish, Romanian;Romance languages)
- Kristijan (Croatian)
- Християн або Крістіан (Ukrainian)
Males with the given name Christian
- several kings of Denmark
- several princes
- Christian of Oliva, 13th century Cistercian monk and the first bishop of Prussia
- a ring name of Canadian professional wrestler Jason Reso.
- Hans Christian Andersen, Danish author
- Christian Alexander, American actor
- Christian Bakkerud, Danish racing driver
- Christian Bale, English actor
- Christian Cooke, English actor
- Christian Dior, French fashion designer
- Christian Doppler, Austrian mathematician and physicist
- Christian Ehrhoff, German ice hockey player
- Christian Fernández Salas, Spanish football defender
- Christian Hosoi, Pro skateboarder
- Christian Jessen, English doctor and television presenter
- Christian Lacroix, French fashion designer
- Christian Louboutin, French footwear designer
- Christian Jimémez, American soccer player
- Christian Julius de Meza, a Danish army commander
- Christian Klien, Austrian racing driver
- Christian Okoye, American football player
- Christian Pampel, German volleyball player
- Christian Penigaud, French beach volleyball player
- Christian Potenza, Canadian actor
- Christian Reiher, German mathematical genius
- Cristiano Ronaldo, Portuguese footballer
- Christian Siriano, American fashion designer & winner of Project Runway Season 4
- Christian Slater, American actor
- Cristiano dos Santos Rodrigues, commonly known as just Cristiano, Brazilian footballer
- Christian Serratos (born 1990), American Actress
- the protagonist in John Bunyan's allegorical novel The Pilgrim's Progress
- Christian (wrestler), long-time professional wrestling villain turned hero, the alter-ego of professional wrestler and actor Jay Reso.
- the protagonist in director Baz Luhrmann's jukebox musical film Moulin Rouge! interpreted by Scottish actor Ewan McGregor
- Christian Shephard, a character on the ABC series Lost, portrayed by American actor John Terry.
- character in the 21st Century Breakdown album by Green Day.
- Christian Troy, a character on the FX original series Nip/Tuck.
- Christian, a character in Diana Wynne Jones' fantasy novel Black Maria (US title: Aunt Maria).
- Christian Grey, main character from E.L. James novel 50 Shades of Grey
|This page or section lists people that share the same given name. If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change that link to point directly to the intended article.|