Clarksfield Township, Huron County, Ohio
|Clarksfield Township, Ohio|
Location of Clarksfield Township in Huron County.
|• Total||27.1 sq mi (70.2 km2)|
|• Land||27.1 sq mi (70.1 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.1 km2)|
|Elevation||922 ft (281 m)|
|• Density||56.1/sq mi (21.6/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086343|
Located on the eastern edge of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Wakeman Township - north
- Camden Township, Lorain County - northeast
- Brighton Township, Lorain County - east
- Rochester Township, Lorain County - southeast corner
- New London Township - south
- Fitchville Township - southwest corner
- Hartland Township - west
- Townsend Township - northwest corner
The total area of Clarksfield is 27 square miles (70 km2), making an average of 56 people per square mile.
Name and history
Clarksfield Township was named for James Clark, a hero of the Revolutionary War.
It is the only Clarksfield Township statewide.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Huron County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- Baughman, Abraham J. (1909). History of Huron County, Ohio: Its Progress and Development, with Biographical Sketches of Prominent Citizens of the County, Volume 1. S. J. Clarke Publishing Company. p. 198.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.