Costa Mediterranea in Stockholm, Sweden in May 2008.
|Owner:||Carnival Corporation & plc|
|Port of registry:||Italy, Genoa|
|Laid down:||1 October 2000|
|Completed:||27 May 2003|
|Identification:||Call sign: IBCF
IMO number: 9237345
MMSI number: 247088200
|Class & type:||Spirit-class cruise ship|
|Length:||292.5 m (960 ft)|
|Beam:||32.2 m (106 ft)|
|Height:||2,606.0 mm (102.60 in)|
|Draught:||8 m (26 ft)|
|Depth:||13.6 m (45 ft)|
|Speed:||24 knots (44 km/h; 28 mph)|
Costa Mediterranea is a Spirit-class cruise ship operated by the Costa Crociere cruise line. She was constructed at the Kvaerner Masa-Yards (currently Aker Finnyards) in Helsinki, Finland at a cost of over €400 million. Like sister ship Costa Atlantica, her design was derived from the Carnival Cruise Lines Spirit-class ships, Carnival Spirit, Carnival Pride, Carnival Legend and Carnival Miracle. On June 16, 2003 she departed on her maiden voyage from Genoa to Spain and Portugal.
Public rooms aboard Costa Mediterranea such the ten floor high Maschera d'Argento atrium, were inspired by Italy's 16th and 17th century palazzi and decorated to reflect the ship's motto "Mai visto niente di simile" (You've never seen anything like it). The twelve decks are named after mythological and historical characters: Circe, Tersicore, Bacco, Teseo, Orfeo, Narciso, Prometeo, Pegaso, Armonia, Cleopatra, Pandora and Medea.
Amenities and features
- Four swimming pools, one with a retractable glass roof
- Four open-air Jacuzzis
- Beauty salon and spa
- Three-story gym
- Multi-purpose sports court
- Three restaurants: Ristorante degli Argentieri (two-story main dining venue), Perla del Lago Buffet, Club Medusa (alternative dining venue)
- 14 Themed bars and lounges
- Egyptian themed Osiris Theatre
- Canal Grande Casino
- Selva Discothèque
- Squok Club children's facilities
- Mondo Virtuale arcade
- Library/Internet Cafe
- Via Condotti shops
As part of Costa Cruises’ ongoing investment to improve the quality and sustainability of its fleet, Costa Mediterranea was dry docked at the Fincantieri shipyard in Palermo from November 21, 2013 to December 4 2013, for planned maintenance work. Costa Cruises’ invested more than €4 million to perform the routine refurbishment, which takes place approximately every two and a half years to keep the fleet fresh and modern. The renewal work included restoration of the ship’s hull, and a full renovation of the ship’s interior including the replacement of the carpets, curtains and upholstery.
Ports of call
- "Advanced Masterdata for the Vessel Costa Mediterranea". VesselTracker. 10 May 2011. Retrieved 10 September 2011.
- "Port" (in Russian). Marine Facade Management Company. Retrieved 10 September 2011.[dead link][dead link]
- Official website
- Photos & amazing video of Costa Mediterranea in Yalta, Ukraine
- Video Clip of Costa Mediterranea
- Miramar Ship Index - Costa Mediterranea
- Media related to Costa Mediterranea at Wikimedia Commons