Dulles High School (Sugar Land, Texas)
|Dulles High School|
|550 Dulles Avenue
Sugar Land, Texas, 77478
|School type||Nonmagnet Regular|
|School district||Fort Bend Independent School District|
|Enrollment||2,218 (Spring 2013)|
|Color(s)||Red, White and Blue|
|Slogan||The Defining Difference|
|2011 TEA Rating||Recognized|
John Foster Dulles High School is a high school in Sugar Land, Texas. It was the first site purchase and new build, in the 1950s, of the newly formed Fort Bend Independent School District, which held its first graduation in 1960. The first class to graduate from Dulles itself was 1962. Its mascot is the Viking, and its team colors are red, white and blue.
At its highest, the school roll was over 4,000 students during the 1976-1977 school year. During the 2006-2007 school year, the roll comprised 2,291. The school serves children from parts of Sugar Land, Missouri City and the city of Meadows Place as well as portions of the extraterritorial jurisdiction (ETJ) of Stafford. Dulles serves a portion of the First Colony community. In previous eras, Dulles served the Four Corners community.
The principal is Ronnie Edwards who began in the 2013-2014 school year replacing Mark Foust (who served as principal since the 2007-2008 school year) when Foust was appointed Assistant Superintendent of Fort Bend Independent School District.
Dulles was classified by the University Interscholastic League school as a "Class B" school until 1972, when it became classified as a 4A school, then the largest classification in the state. From its opening, Dulles was the only zoned high school in the district until Willowridge High School opened in 1979.
Dulles is home to the Math and Science Academy, which provides students with even more options to extend their studies in these areas. Dulles is one of the only schools in the state to offer Chem III, or Organic Chemistry. Starting with the 2013-2014 school year, Biotechnology (Biology III) is offered as an honors course. Modern Physics (Physics III) has been added to the math and science curriculum as well. Calculus III, or multivariable calculus, is offered to students who have finished Calculus BC before their senior year. Other classes include Chem II, Bio II, and Physics II C. Dulles offers a total of 24 AP courses. Scientific Research and Design is an honors class offered in which students work with mentors to write papers and develop projects, and some of these projects will be submitted to prestigious competitions such as Siemens or ISEF. Students take the class to fulfill the research requirement of the Academy.
Other notable clubs
UIL State Championship Titles
- 2013 - Overall State Champion
- Science: 1st Place Team (Bobby Shen, Kevin Li, Arjun Goswami, Siddarth Guha)
- Number Sense: 1st Place Team (Bobby Shen, Mitchell Hwang, Rishiprotim Nag, Keerthana Kumar)
- Math: 1st Place Team (Bobby Shen, Daniel Fan, Mitchell Hwang, Rishiprotim Nag)
- Calculator Applications: 1st Place Team (Bobby Shen, Kevin Li, Sushain Cherivirala, Saiesh Kalva)
- Accounting: 1st Place Team (Jessica Rosenbalm, Chenyi (Kelly) Zhang, Rachel Wix, Haixu (Alice) Zhang)
- Bobby Shen (Individual): 1st Place Calculator Applications, 2nd Place Mathematics, 2nd Place Number Sense, 3rd Place Science
- 2012 - Overall State Champion
- Science: 1st Place Team (Greg Cleveland, Bobby Shen, Daniel Fan, Arjun Goswani)
- Mathematics: 1st Place Team (Mitchell Hwang, Bobby Shen, Daniel Fan, Rishiprotim Nag)
- Number Sense: 1st Place Team (Mitchell Hwang, Bobby Shen, Daniel Fan, Rishiprotim Nag)
- Bobby Shen (Individual): 1st Place Science, Mathematics, Number Sense, and Calculator Applications
- 2011 - Overall 2nd Place
- Mathematics: 1st Place Team (Bobby Shen, Daniel Fan, Guoyang Shen, Mitchell Hwang)
- Number Sense: 2nd Place Team (Bobby Shen, Guoyang Shen, Mitchell Hwang)
- Accounting: 1st Place Team (Numa Dhamani, Jola Adesanya, Anne Chang)
- Bobby Shen (Individual): 1st Place Mathematics, 2nd Place Number Sense
- Science: 2nd Place Team (Joel Yin, Michael Ngai, Manojit Nandi)
- Accounting: 2nd Place Team (Angela Zheng, Numa Dhamani, Graham Reid)
- Mathematics: 1st Place Team (Chris Javier, Daniel Fan, Guoyang Shen)
- Michael Zhu (Individual): Current Issues and Events 1st Place
- Science: 1st Place Team (Kenny Lam, Michael Ngai, Joel Yin)
- Accounting: 1st Place Team (Erin Bartle, Angela Zheng, Numa Dhamani)
- 2006 - Science: 2nd Place Team (Philip Chu, Natalie Ngai, Chris Chiang)
- Mathematics: 1st Place Team (Feng Li, Jacob Huang, Stacy Lu)
- Mathematics Individuals: Feng Li 1st Place; Jacob Huang 3rd Place
- 2004 - Accounting: 2nd Place Team (Shehzila Dhanani, Hong Wei, Bilal Zakaria)
Speech and Debate Team
- 2012 - UIL Cross-Examination Debate State Champions (Faraz Hemani and Humza Tariq)
- 2011 - UIL Cross-Examination Debate State Champions (Faraz Hemani and Usamah Andrabi)
- 2010 - UIL Cross-Examination Debate State Champions (Kevin Clarke and Faraz Hemani)
- 2009 - UIL Cross-Examination Debate State Champions (Shikhar Singh and Kevin Clarke)
- 2006 - NFL Lincoln Douglas Debate National Champion (Douglas Jeffers)
In 2013 32 students received national merit scholarships from the Math and Science sector of the school.
The Vike Squad
In the 2005-2006 school year, Dulles High School was the first of its kind to create an organization solely dedicated to protecting its students from the harmful substances that are highly prevalent on other Fort Bend ISD campuses. This new group, named The Vike Squad, hosts multiple events throughout the year to offer fun and safe activities for students to participate in.
The group's second annual Dodgeball Tournament, held in September 2006, was an outstanding success that drew hundreds of observers and participants. The final group, consisting of six students, was declared the winner after facing a difficult match against the school's then principal, Lance Hindt, and his team of fellow administrators.
The Vike Squad has multiple events planned for the rest of the year, including a night of salsa and tango lessons for students and a movie night to be held in the school's main courtyard. Most events are free, with the funds of those that are not going directly to college scholarships and school-improvement projects.
It won its last major award in 2006. Its color guard has won 1st at its last 3 region-wide competitions. Its drill team has won at its last 2 region-wide competitions.
As a unit, TX-862 achieved its first Meritorious Unit award in 1988, and continued to earn this distinction from 1988 - 1992. In 1993, it achieved its first Honor Unit award, and earned this distinction through at least 1997.
- Paul Begala (Class of 1979), Democratic political consultant for Bill Clinton's successful 1992 United States presidential campaign and a current political pundit for CNN
- Roger Clemens (Class of 1979), Former Houston Astros, New York Yankees, Toronto Blue Jays, and Boston Red Sox pitcher and winner of seven Cy Young Awards (attended during sophomore year before transferring to Spring Woods High School)
- Rebecca Nieto (Class of 1980), Emmy Award winning television news producer for [NBC].
- Billy Stritch (Class of 1980), Grammy winning singer and pianist
- Kevin Eschenfelder (Class of 1983), sportscaster and studio host, FSN Southwest
- Sean Patrick Flanery (Class of 1984), American film actor
- Clay Mearns, PGA,(Class of 1998), PGA of America, (attended during freshman and sophomore year before transferring to Elkins High School)
- Kelsey Bone (Class of 2009), Professional basketball player for the New York Liberty in the WNBA
- Lexington Creek
The following middle schools feed into Dulles H.S.:
- "Interactive Mapping." First Colony Association. Retrieved on April 4, 2010.
- "High School Attendance Zones." Fort Bend Independent School District. Retrieved on April 4, 2010.
- Kever, Jeannie. "FACING A CROSSROADS." Houston Chronicle. June 1, 2011. Retrieved on June 3, 2011.
- Blue Ribbon Schools Program, Schools Recognized 1982-1983 Through 1999-2002 (PDF)
- Solomon, Jerome. "FOOTBALL 1997/HIGH SCHOOLS/FORT BEND BONANZA/Phillips, Dulles in hunt to add to town's memories." Houston Chronicle. Thursday August 28, 1997. Special 33. Retrieved on December 31, 2011.
- DullesROTC.com - Timeline of TX 862
- DullesROTC.com - TX-862 Awards
- Billy Stritch at the Internet Movie Database
- Final Map layout 07-08:Final Map layout 06-07 #2
- Dulles High School
- Dulles Math and Science Academy
- Dulles Math and Science Academy Booster Club Site
- Unofficial alumni site for Dulles High School
- Official Dulles Athletic Booster Club Site