Willowridge High School (Houston)
|Willowridge High School|
|16301 Chimney Rock
Houston, Texas, USA
|Type||Public High School|
|School district||Fort Bend Independent School District|
|Enrollment||1,338 (Spring 2012)|
|2011 TEA Rating||Academically Acceptable|
The school serves many areas of northeast Fort Bend County east and north of FM 2234, and a section of Houston inside Fort Bend County, including the neighborhoods of Briargate, Chasewood, Willow Park II, Mayfair Park, Ridgemont, Ridgegate, and Briar Villa. The school also serves the Fort Bend County portion of Shadow Creek Ranch, a community within the city of Pearland .
This school is well known for its marching band, known as the "Mighty Eagle Marching Band." Under band directors Mr. Ronald Thornton (head), Delcenia Hill, and Robert Jackson, the band performed at the Rose Bowl and Orange Bowl back in the 1990s. In 2001, the band participated in the "Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade". In the summer of 2005, the Willowridge Band vacationed in Honolulu, Hawaii, a rarity for high school bands. The band also hosted the Bands of America contest at Rice Stadium on October 1, 2005. They have consecutively won 1st place at the MLK Battle Of The Bands and All-American Battle Of The Bands.
The school is also renowned for its basketball program. In 2001, the men's team accomplished the rare feat of having two McDonald's All-Americans in Daniel Ewing and T. J. Ford, who went on to play for Duke University and Texas, respectively.
The first phase of Willowridge started in February 1978 and was occupied in September 1979.
Willowridge was the second high school opened in the FBISD.
In the 1980s, the school was known for its successful football program. During the 82-83 season, NFL Hall of Famer Thurman Thomas led the football team to the Texas Class 4A state Championship. This era also produced other NFL players such as O. J. Brigance, Charles Arbuckle, Allen Aldridge, and Selwyn Jones.
From 1999 to 2001, the men's basketball team compiled a 75–1 win-loss record (including a 62-game winning streak) earning a pair of Texas Class 5A state titles.
One of the streets on the WHS campus was named in memory of former principal Edgar Glover, Jr. Glover, who served as principal between November 1982 until his death in April 1993. Coincidentally, an elementary school named in Edgar Glover, Jr's honor opened on August 17, 1994 [(Opened fall 1992 )].
The second phase of Willowridge High School was completed in summer 1992 and dedicated on September 23, 1992 [(Opened fall 1992 )]. During the expansion, the Ronald McNair Auditorium was dedicated in memoriam (the middle school next to Willowridge was named after Christa McAuliffe).
- Blue Ridge
- Hunters Glen (partial)
- Jones (partial)
The following middle schools  feed into Willowridge:
- Lake Olympia (partial)
- Missouri City (partial)
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (November 2010)|
- Allen Aldridge - Former NFL Football Player for the Denver Broncos. (Class of 1990)
- Charles Arbuckle - Former NFL Football Player for the Indianapolis Colts. (Class of 1986)
- O.J. Brigance - Former NFL Football Player Baltimore Ravens and current director of player development. Recipient of the 2012 Distinguished Alumni Award from Rice University. (Class of 1987)
- Eric England - Former NFL football player and current player for the Toronto Argonauts in the CFL. (Class of 1990)
- Daniel Ewing - Former NBA Basketball Player for the Los Angeles Clippers. (Class of 2001)
- Darrell Harris Also known as (D.Solo) - Current Television Host (1993–present) Houston, TX. (Class of 1985)
- T. J. Ford - Former NBA Basketball Player for the San Antonio Spurs. (Class of 2001)
- Selwyn Jones - Former NFL defensive back for the Seattle Seahawks.
- Brad Terrence Jordan - Houston rapper also known as Scarface. (Did not graduate from WHS)
- Manny Ramirez - Current offensive lineman for the Detroit Lions. (Class of 2002)
- Di Reed - Member of early 90's R&B Soul Group, Jade.
- Darnley Scantlebury - Producer, Songwriter, and Musician better known as Donnie Scantz.
- Ansu Sesay - Former NBA Basketball player for the Seattle SuperSonics, and Golden State Warriors. (Class of 1994)
- Thurman Thomas - Former NFL Running Back for the Buffalo Bills. Elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2007 and into the College Football Hall of Fame in 2008. (Class of 1984)
- Isaiah Washington - Actor mostly known for his roles in Romeo Must Die, Wild Things 2, Grey's Anatomy. (Class of 1981)
- Jason Webster - Former NFL football player for the New England Patriots and Atlanta Falcons. (Class of 1996)
- Z-Ro - Member of Houston rap group ABN.
- "FBISD History." Fort Bend Independent School District.
- "2012 Distinguished Alumni Awards". Rice University News & Media. 11 May 2012. Retrieved 16 May 2012.
- "List of Hall of Fame members". Pro Football Hall of Fame. Archived from the original on February 6, 2012. Retrieved February 6, 2012.
- Willowridge High School
- Go Mighty Eagles! Willowridge High School Alumni Network
- WHS Class of 1990 Reunion/Alumni Network