East Village, San Diego
|East Village, San Diego|
|Neighborhood of San Diego|
East Village is a neighborhood in San Diego, California, United States. It is the largest urban neighborhood in downtown San Diego. It is located east of the Gaslamp Quarter and southeast of the Core district and Cortez Hill in downtown San Diego. East Village encompasses 130 blocks between Seventh Avenue east to 18th Street. The thriving urban enclave is home to more than 700 businesses including restaurants, hotels, and art galleries.
The East Village Business Improvement District is managed by The East Village Association, Inc. (EVA), a nonprofit corporation 501c3.
San Diego's East Village was traditionally a series of warehouses and vacant lots. It wasn't until the 1990s that it became a community for artists and social services. Residential aspects of the East Village became a reality in 2005, after PETCO Park was established in 2004.
The East Village community now has a population of 10,000 (and growing), with most residents living in mid-rise or luxury condominiums and lofts. Continuing urban development and the steady growth of new businesses draws locals from neighboring downtown areas.
In the latter part of the 20th century the East Village became known for its vacant buildings, dive-bars and eclectic dwellings of artists. Prostitutes, drug addicts and homeless people were common. Beginning with redevelopment, and particularly after the opening of Petco Park in 2004, the area became known instead for upscale restaurants and trendy shops. The neighborhood is now a hub of construction including condominium projects and other public spaces, including the recently completed Central Library. The $185 million project, designed by architect Rob Quigley, officially opened September 30, 2013.
- PETCO Park: Home of the San Diego Padres Major League Baseball team.
- Harbor Drive Pedestrian Bridge: Connecting the San Diego Convention Center area with PETCO Park.
- San Diego Central Library, which opened 30 September 2013.
- Educational Institutions: Thomas Jefferson School of Law, NewSchool of Architecture and Design, Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising, and San Diego City College.
- Official East Village Website http://www.eastvillagesandiego.com
- Downtown Neighborhoods Map
- East Village at Yelp.com
- Information about East Village
- Information about East Village BallPark Neighborhood