Egg in the basket
Egg in the basket with a "hat" or "lid"
|Main ingredient(s)||Bread, eggs|
The dish is typically bread with an egg in the center and then cooked with a little butter or oil.
It is commonly prepared by cutting a circular or square hole in the center of a piece of bread. The bread, sometimes buttered prior to cooking, is fried in a pan with butter, margarine, cooking oil, or other fat similarly to how bread is cooked in a grilled cheese sandwich. When browned, the bread is flipped, and the egg is cracked into the "basket" cut into the toast. Alternatively, the egg may be dropped into the bread before the bread is browned. The time the egg is placed in the bread is dependent on desired consistency.
To obtain even cooking, the dish is often either covered or flipped while cooking. It is also important not to cook the dish at too high or low a temperature, or the bread may burn before the egg is fully cooked, or vice versa.
In popular culture 
The dish can be seen being prepared onscreen by actor Guy Kibbee in the 1935 Warner Bros. film, Mary Jane's Pa, hence the aforementioned eponym, Cher in the film "Moonstruck", and by both Hugo Weaving and Stephen Fry in the film V for Vendetta (2005), where the character played by Natalie Portman discusses it. The dish is also prepared in The One Where Eddie Moves In, the seventeenth episode of season 2 of the sitcom Friends, In the episode the dish is referred to as "Eggs with the bread with the hole in the middle, a la me!" as they are made by the character Joey Tribbiani. .
See also 
- Books, Madison. 1,001 Foods to Die For. Andrews McMeel Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-0-7407-7043-2.
- Schrank, Rita (1998). Science, Math and Nutrition for Toddlers: Setting the Stage for Serendipity. Humanics Publishing Group. ISBN 978-0-89334-280-7.
- Morgan, Jodie (2004). The Working Parents Cookbook: More Than 200 Recipes for Great Family Meals. Chronicle Books. ISBN 978-0-8118-3685-2.
- AEB.org page: "Fried Egg in Toast recipe."
- AuntiBagel.com: "The Elephant Egg Bagel."