December 18, 1981 |
Eugene, Oregon, United States
|Height||5 ft 10 in (1.78 m)|
|Weight||155.5 lb (70.5 kg; 11.11 st)|
|Reach||70.0 in (178 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Team||Throwdown Training Center,
|Rank||Black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu under Wellington "Megaton" Dias|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Dunham, born and raised in Eugene, Oregon, began wrestling in middle school and continued at Winston Churchill High School. Dunham later attended the University of Oregon, and in 2000 Dunham began training in Brazilian jiu-jitsu. He later graduated with a degree in sociology, and worked in various jobs such as a cable installer, before becoming a fighter full-time.
Mixed martial arts career
In an amateur bout in 2006 (a year before his professional debut), Dunham fought fellow future UFC Lightweight Gray Maynard. Dunham lost the fight via unanimous decision.
Dunham made his professional debut in 2007; he had five fights total in 2007. After winning six straight, Dunham was invited to fight for Palace Fighting Championship, a mid-size organization. Dunham won his fight over Team Alpha Male's Dustin Akbari via rear-naked choke submission and remained undefeated.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
Dunham had his second fight in the UFC when he defeated returning veteran Marcus Aurélio via split decision at UFC 102. Dunham showed quick and accurate striking skills and displayed some excellent submission defense against the seasoned grappler.
Dunham's third fight was against The Ultimate Fighter 8 winner, Efrain Escudero on January 11, 2010 at UFC Fight Night 20 with the fight being the co-main event. Dunham rallied from a rough first round, taking the second and finally finishing with an armbar in the third round, nearly breaking Escudero's arm. The submission earned him an extra $30,000 for winning Submission of the Night honors.
Dunham faced Xtreme Couture standout and ex-training partner Tyson Griffin, on June 12, 2010 at UFC 115. Dunham was dominant in all three rounds, taking Griffin's back on numerous occasions and effectively countering strikes. He won the fight via split decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28).
Dunham faced former UFC Lightweight Champion Sean Sherk on September 25, 2010 at UFC 119. Dunham received the first loss of his MMA career via controversial split decision. Sherk utilized his wrestling during round 1, opening up a huge cut above Dunham's right eye and good boxing in the early part of round 2, while Dunham utilized submissions and effective striking throughout the latter of rounds 2 and 3. UFC president Dana White later said that he felt Dunham was 'robbed'. The bout was awarded Fight of the Night honors.
Dunham was expected to face Kenny Florian at UFC 126, but the bout instead was moved to headline UFC Fight Night 23 on January 22, 2011. Dunham confirmed the fight via his personal Facebook page. However on December 6, Florian pulled out of the bout due to injury. Instead, Melvin Guillard, who was originally set to face Yves Edwards on the preliminary card, took on Dunham in the main event. Dunham lost via TKO in the first round after getting continuously hit by combinations from the much faster Guillard.
Dunham was expected to face Paul Sass on January 28, 2012 at UFC on Fox 2. However, Sass was forced from the bout with an injury and replaced by Nik Lentz. Dunham defeated Lentz via TKO (doctor stoppage) at the conclusion of the second round. The back and forth action earned both fighters Fight of the Night honors for their performance.
Dunham was expected to face Mark Bocek on April 16, 2014 at The Ultimate Fighter Nations Finale. However, Dunham pulled out of the bout in the week leading up to the event with an undiscosed injury.
Championships and accomplishments
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|21 matches||15 wins||6 losses|
|Win||15–6||Rodrigo Damm||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 182||January 3, 2015||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||14–6||Edson Barboza||TKO (body kick and punches)||UFC Fight Night: Cerrone vs. Miller||July 16, 2014||1||3:06||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States|
|Loss||14–5||Donald Cerrone||Submission (triangle choke)||UFC 167||November 16, 2013||2||3:49||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||14–4||Rafael dos Anjos||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on FX: Belfort vs. Rockhold||May 18, 2013||3||5:00||Jaraguá do Sul, Brazil|
|Win||14–3||Gleison Tibau||Decision (split)||UFC 156||February 2, 2013||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||13–3||TJ Grant||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 152||September 22, 2012||3||5:00||Toronto, Ontario, Canada||Fight of the Night.|
|Win||13–2||Nik Lentz||TKO (doctor stoppage)||UFC on Fox: Evans vs. Davis||January 28, 2012||2||5:00||Chicago, Illinois, United States||Fight of the Night.|
|Win||12–2||Shamar Bailey||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Shields vs. Ellenberger||September 17, 2011||3||5:00||New Orleans, Louisiana, United States|
|Loss||11–2||Melvin Guillard||TKO (knees)||UFC: Fight for the Troops 2||January 22, 2011||1||2:58||Fort Hood, Texas, United States|
|Loss||11–1||Sean Sherk||Decision (split)||UFC 119||September 25, 2010||3||5:00||Indianapolis, Indiana, United States||Fight of the Night.|
|Win||11–0||Tyson Griffin||Decision (split)||UFC 115||June 12, 2010||3||5:00||Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada|
|Win||10–0||Efrain Escudero||Submission (armbar)||UFC Fight Night: Maynard vs. Diaz||January 11, 2010||3||1:59||Fairfax, Virginia, United States||Submission of the Night.|
|Win||9–0||Marcus Aurélio||Decision (split)||UFC 102||August 29, 2009||3||5:00||Portland, Oregon, United States|
|Win||8–0||Per Eklund||KO (punches)||UFC 95||February 21, 2009||1||2:13||London, England|
|Win||7–0||Dustin Akbari||Submission (rear-naked choke)||PFC 12: High Stakes||January 22, 2009||3||0:40||Lemoore, California, United States|
|Win||6–0||Eben Kaneshiro||TKO (punches)||RFC: Bragging Rights II||September 13, 2008||2||3:05||Eugene, Oregon, United States|
|Win||5–0||Cleber Luciano||Submission (guillotine choke)||PFP: Ring of Fire||December 9, 2007||3||N/A||Quezon City, Philippines|
|Win||4–0||Talon Hoffman||Submission (guillotine choke)||DesertBrawl||September 28, 2007||1||0:38||Bend, Oregon, United States|
|Win||3–0||Mark Daoust||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Elite Warriors Championship||June 2, 2007||1||3:46||Portland, Oregon, United States|
|Win||2–0||Nassor Lewis||Submission (armbar)||Rise FC 2: Hawaii vs. Mainland||April 28, 2007||1||1:16||Eugene, Oregon, United States|
|Win||1–0||Gabriel Martinez||Decision (unanimous)||GC 62: Sprawl or Brawl||April 14, 2007||2||5:00||Lakeport, California, United States|
- "Fight Card - UFC Fight Night Cerrone vs. Miller". UFC.com. Retrieved July 17, 2014.
- Chris Nelson (March 8, 2010). "Unbeaten UFC lightweight Evan Dunham (10-0) was awarded his Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belt last...". bloodyelbow.com.
- "– UFC 102: EVAN DUNHAM HELPS KEEP DAD IN BUSINESS - MMAWeekly.com". http://cdn.mmaweekly.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/MMAWeekly-Grille-Social-Media-Default.png.
- "UFC 102: EVAN DUNHAM HELPS KEEP DAD IN BUSINESS". MMAWEEKLY.com. 2009-08-24. Retrieved 2009-08-28.[dead link]
- Morgan, John. "Marcus Aurelio replaces injured Matt Veach and fights Evan Dunham on UFC 102 prelims". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2009-08-11.
- "Efrain Escudero Set to Face Evan Dunham, Not Nik Lentz, at UFN 20". mma.fanhouse.com. Retrieved 2009-10-22.
- Dan Stupp. "UFC Fight Night 20, co-headliners officially announced for Jan. 11 in Fairfax, Va.". MMAJunkie.
- Jesse Holland. "UFC Fight Night 20 bonuses and awards for 'Maynard vs Diaz' Spike TV fights". MMAMania.com.
- "UFC 115: Tyson Griffin vs Evan Dunham on tap for June 12.". mmamania.com. Retrieved 2010-02-03.
- "Evan Dunham and Sean Sherk targeted for lightweight matchup at UFC 119". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2010-07-07.
- "FLORIAN VS. DUNHAM AGREED FOR SUPER BOWL CARD". mmaweekly.com. 2010-10-08.
- "Florian vs. Dunham To Main Event Fight For The Troops 2". heavy.com. November 2, 2010.
- "Evan Dunham Confirms UFC Fight For The Troops 2 Bout Against Kenny Florian". MMAWeekly.com. November 3, 2010.
- "Kenny Florian Injured, Melvin Guillard To Face Evan Dunham". Heavy.com. December 6, 2010.
- "UFC 132: Evan Dunham vs George Sotiropoulos booked for Fourth of July weekend event". MMAmania.com. March 17, 2010.
- "Rafael dos Anjos replaces Evan Dunham, meets George Sotiropoulos at UFC 132". mmajunkie.com. May 4, 2011.
- "Evan Dunham vs. Shamar Bailey set for UFC Fight Night 25". mmajunkie.com. July 17, 2011.
- ESPN staff (December 1, 2011). "Paul Sass gets Dunham test at UFC on Fox 2". espn.co.uk. Retrieved December 1, 2011.
- "Evan Dunham vs Nik Lentz announced for UFC on Fox 2 with Paul Sass scratched". mmamania.com. December 26, 2011.
- "Evan Dunham vs. Edson Barboza added to UFC 146 in Las Vegas". mmajunkie.com. February 19, 2012.
- "Jamie Varner Replaces Injured Evan Dunham at UFC 146". 5thround.com. May 2, 2012. Retrieved May 2, 2012.
- "UFC 152 adds Evan Dunham vs. T.J. Grant". mmajunkie.com. July 19, 2012.
- "UFC 152 Bonus Winners". TopMMANews.com. September 22, 2012.
- "Evan Dunham vs. Gleison Tibau Added to UFC 156". mmaweekly.com. December 6, 2012.
- "Evan Dunham vs. Rafael dos Anjos added to UFC on FX 8". mmajunkie.com. February 26, 2013.
- Steven Marrocco (2013-05-19). "UFC on FX 8 results: Rafael dos Anjos edges Evan Dunham". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-05-19.
- Steven Marrocco (2013-11-16). "UFC 167 results: Relentless Donald Cerrone submits Evan Dunham in second". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-11-16.
- Keith Grienke (2014-01-30). "Bocek to Face Dunham at TUF Finale in Quebec". TopMMANews.com. Retrieved 2014-01-30.
- John Morgan (2014-04-07). "Evan Dunham out at TUF Nations Finale, promotion seeks replacement for Mark Bocek". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-04-07.
- Tom Ngo (2014-05-06). "Edson Barboza Battles Evan Dunham at UFC Fight Night Atlantic City". 5thround.com. Retrieved 2014-05-06.
- Steven Marrocco (2014-07-16). "UFC Fight Night 45 results: Edson Barboza crumples Evan Dunham with body kick". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-07-16.
- Tristen Critchfield (2014-10-11). "Lightweights Evan Dunham, Rodrigo Damm booked for UFC 182 in Las Vegas". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2014-10-11.
- Lee Williams (2015-05-25). "Pearson vs Dunham booked for UFC Fight Night Glasgow". mmacrazytv.com. Retrieved 2015-05-25.