|UFC 152: Jones vs. Belfort|
|Date||September 22, 2012|
|Venue||Air Canada Centre|
|City||Toronto, Ontario, Canada|
Rory MacDonald was expected to face former dual-division champion B.J. Penn at the event, but MacDonald pulled out of the bout after sustaining a cut to the forehead while training. The bout was rescheduled for UFC on Fox 5 on December 8, 2012.
UFC newcomer Roger Hollett was expected to face Matt Hamill, who returned from retirement, at the event. However, Hollett was forced out of the bout due to a contract dispute and replaced by Vladimir Matyushenko. Then, on September 11, 2012, Matyushenko pulled out of the fight after suffering a torn achilles tendon while training, and Hamill vs. Hollett was rebooked by UFC officials.
Dan Miller was expected to face Sean Pierson at the event. However, Miller pulled out of the bout after getting news about his son's kidney transplant operation. He was replaced by Lance Benoist.
At the weigh-ins, Charles Oliveira failed to make weight by four tenths of pound on his first try. In the second, he was able to make 146.2 lb. However, his opponent signed to fight at a catchweight, and Oliveira was not fined.
The main event was UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Jon Jones facing former champion Vitor Belfort. Originally, Jones was set to defend his title against Dan Henderson at UFC 151 on September 1, 2012 in Las Vegas, Nevada, but UFC President Dana White announced on August 23, 2012 that Henderson had a tear in his MCL and would not be able to compete. It was then revealed that Jones declined a fight against Chael Sonnen, who offered to take the fight on eight days notice. As a result, the event was cancelled. This marked the first time the UFC had cancelled an event, with the official fight card having been announced, in the organization's history.
Following the cancellation of the event, White said that UFC 151 simply will not exist. Jones was set to face Lyoto Machida in a rematch at this event after the cancellation of that event, but Machida declined the fight. Subsequently, Belfort was chosen to take Machida's place. Jones was a massive favorite coming into the bout. It was later reported that Belfort fought Jones with a broken hand.
|Main Card on Pay-Per-View|
|Light Heavyweight||Jon Jones (c)||def.||Vitor Belfort||Submission (americana)||4||0:54||[a]|
|Flyweight||Demetrious Johnson||def.||Joseph Benavidez||Decision (split) (48–47, 47–48, 49–46)||5||5:00||[b]|
|Middleweight||Michael Bisping||def.||Brian Stann||Decision (unanimous) (29–28, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Light Heavyweight||Matt Hamill||def.||Roger Hollett||Decision (unanimous) (29-28, 30–27, 30–27)||3||5:00|
|Catchweight (146.2 lbs.)||Cub Swanson||def.||Charles Oliveira||KO (punch)||1||2:40||[c]|
|Preliminary Card on FX and Sportsnet|
|Light Heavyweight||Vinny Magalhães||def.||Igor Pokrajac||Submission (armbar)||2||1:14|
|Lightweight||TJ Grant||def.||Evan Dunham||Decision (unanimous) (29–28, 30–27, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Welterweight||Sean Pierson||def.||Lance Benoist||Decision (unanimous) (29–28, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Featherweight||Marcus Brimage||def.||Jimy Hettes||Decision (unanimous) (29–28, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Preliminary Card on Facebook|
|Welterweight||Seth Baczynski||def.||Simeon Thoresen||KO (punch)||1||4:10|
|Bantamweight||Mitch Gagnon||def.||Walel Watson||Submission (rear naked choke)||1||1:09|
|Welterweight||Kyle Noke||def.||Charlie Brenneman||TKO (punches)||1||0:45|
Flyweight Championship bracket
UFC on FX 2 / UFC on FX 3
1 The initial semifinal bout between Johnson and McCall at UFC on FX 2 ended in a draw. Johnson defeated McCall in a rematch at UFC on FX 3.
Fighters were awarded $65,000 bonuses.
- Fight of the Night: TJ Grant vs. Evan Dunham
- Knockout of the Night: Cub Swanson
- Submission of the Night: Jon Jones
- Staff (2012-09-23). "UFC 152 draws a reported 16,800 attendance for a $1.9 million live gate". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2012-09-23.
- Denis, Jessie (2012-10-03). "UFC 152 Does an Estimated 450k Pay Per-View Buys". MMAFrenzy.com. Retrieved 2012-10-04.
- "UFC 152: Jones vs. Belfort". Ultimate Fighting Championship. Retrieved 2012-08-23.
- Roth, Matthew (2012-08-05). "UFC 152: Rory MacDonald Injured and out of B.J. Penn Fight". Bleacher Report. Retrieved 2012-08-05.
- Stupp, Dann (2012-08-20). "Matyushenko replaces Hollett, meets Hamill at UFC 152 in Toronto". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2012-08-20.
- Erickson, Matt (2012-09-11). "Vladimir Matyushenko injured; Roger Hollett back in to meet Matt Hamill at UFC 152". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2012-09-11.
- Staff (2012-08-23). "Noke-Brenneman moved to UFC 152 in Toronto". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2012-08-23.
- Pishna, Ken (2012-08-24). "Dan Miller Happily Steps Off UFC 152 Fight Card for His Son". MMAWeekly.com. Retrieved 0212-08-24.
- Erickson, Matt (2012-08-24). "With Miller out, Sean Pierson now meets Lance Benoist at UFC 152 in Toronto". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2012-08-25.
- Staff (2012-09-21). "UFC 152 official weigh-in results: Dual title fights official, Oliveira just misses mark". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2012-09-21.
- Hendricks, Maggie (2012-09-21). "UFC 152 fights are official after weigh-ins". Yahoo! Sports. Retrieved 2012-09-21.
- Staff (2012-08-29). "UFC 152 title challenger Vitor Belfort: 'I'm fighting the best fighter of all time'". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2012-08-29.
- Marrocco, Steven (2012-08-24). "Vitor Belfort replaces Lyoto Machida against champ Jon Jones at UFC 152". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2012-08-24.
- Stupp, Dann (2012-08-24). "The Oddessa Line: Champ Jones opens as 13-to-1 favorite over Belfort at UFC 152". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2012-08-24.
- Mrosko, Geno (2012-09-23). "UFC 152 results: Vitor Belfort reportedly fought Jon Jones with a broken hand". MMAmania.com. Retrieved 2012-09-30.
- "UFC 152 Results: ‘Jones vs. Belfort’ Play-by-Play & Updates". Sherdog. 2012-09-22. Retrieved 2012-09-23.
- Fridley, Mike (2012-09-22). "The Bracket: UFC 125-Pound Tournament". Sherdog. Retrieved 2012-09-23.
- "UFC 152 bonuses: Swanson, Jones, Grant and Dunham each earn $65K awards". MMAjunkie.com. September 23, 2012.