|This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2013)|
|Type||Infantry Mobility Vehicle|
|Place of origin||Russia|
|Crew||2 (+9 passengers)|
|1* 14.5mm KPVT heavy machine gun|
|1* 7.62mm PKT machine gun|
175 hp (130 kW)
GAZ Vodnik, Russian: Водник, (Automotive number GAZ-3937 and its modified version GAZ-39371) is a Russian high-mobility multipurpose military vehicle manufactured by GAZ. It is a heavy modification of civil GAZ-2330 "Tigr". Its name comes from the Russian "водник" – a person employed in water transport, or can have a meaning of some object related to water.
It is amphibious, and is propelled by its wheels in the water. It has a water-displacing hermetic hull which provides improved fording performance and a 4x4-type chassis with independent suspension and a centralized system of tire-pressure control. The ground clearance is 475 mm. The standard undercarriage with a cab can be fitted with a number of different modules with various number of passenger seats and cargo compartments, seating up to 10 people. It is powered by a 175 hp (130 kW) diesel engine giving a top speed of 112 km/h (4 to 5 km/h when swimming).
The car is built on a modular scheme. Welded body includes two removable modules. Front module consists of a power department and management, divided sealed bulkhead.
The rear multi-module due to the quick release coupling can be replaced in the field. In other words, a single chassis can perform several functions, depending on the installed modules:
- transportation of people;
- freight handling and processing equipment in remote areas;
- transportation of residential units and other utilities modules;
- perform the functions of technological machines fuel and energy complex (tankers, containers, etc.).
The vehicle has a switchable front wheel drive, independent torsion bar suspension, central tire inflation system, power steering, powerful system for heating and air conditioning.
The Vodnik is fitted with the same BPU-1 turret, designed in late 1970s, as the BTR-80 on the top of the vehicle towards the rear. The turret is fitted with the 14.5 mm KPV heavy machine gun and 7.62 mm PKT coaxial light machine gun. The main gun is not stabilized (neither in the BTR-80 nor the BTR-80A), so accurate fire on the move is limited (only at low speeds), and the rotation mechanism is manually operated. In some cases, it is fitted with a BPPU turret with a 30-mm 2A72 and a PKT. The gunner sits in a roof mounted chair located above the flat floor behind the driver/commander and two passengers, and before the passenger bench. The gunner's station is basic, but uncharacteristically uncramped for a Soviet armored vehicle. The gunner is equipped with both 1PZ-9 (daytime) and TPN-3 or TPN-3-42 "Kristall" (night) sights. There are six 902V "Tucha" 81 mm smoke grenade launchers mounted of the rear of the turret.
Distant ancestor of GAZ-3937 "Vodnyk" is floating car under the symbol NAMI-0281, the design of which was begun in 1985. But this car had a completely different layout . Compartment of the power unit was located in the rear of the vehicle and cargo compartment housed the middle. This solution is possible to maintain a trim afloat almost regardless of the load. Modern GAZ-3937 is not retained almost nothing from its predecessor. NAMI-0281 itself has some resemblance to the BRDM.
Vodnyk is available in two versions.
- GAZ-3937 - the driver and passenger sit one behind the other on the left side of the vehicle and to their right is the power plant.
- GAZ-39371 - nose pushed forward for the wheel arches. And the driving compartment seats three: a driver and a passenger - one after the other as before, and the second passenger - the right of the driver.
- Vehicle Weight (total), kg: 6600-7500
- Payload kg: 1500-2500
- Number of passengers: 10-11
- Length, mm: 5100
- Width, mm 2600
- Height, mm: 2300
- Wheelbase, mm: 3000
- Track, mm 2200
- Ground clearance, mm: 475
- Engine: GAZ-5621 6-cyl. 128.7 kW/175 hp turbodiesel
- Rab. volume, cm³: 3200
- Weight 310 kg
- Speed:120 kph
- Cruising range, km: 700-1000
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to GAZ-3937.|
- "Встреча с бронтозавром. ГАЗ-3937 "Водник"". Express.irkutsk.ru. Retrieved 2013-11-16.
- Vodnik at official GAZ page (Russian)
- «Водник» Arzamas Machine Building Plant
- «Водник» The official website of GAZ Special Vehicles
- «Водник» Автомаркете/AutoMarket article
- «Водник» Redstar by Vadim Kozhukhovskiy
- «Дизельный двигатель ГАЗ-56211» the official website of the Company "Nizhny Novgorod motors" Division "Powertrain" GAZ Group