Ghetto (Kelly Rowland song)
|Single by Kelly Rowland featuring Snoop Dogg|
|from the album Ms. Kelly|
|Released||August 7, 2007|
|Format||Digital download, ring tone, 12" single|
|Recorded||2006; Hit Factory Criteria
|Genre||R&B, hip hop, crunk|
|Length||2:55 (album version)|
|Writer(s)||Lonny Bereal, Calvin Broadus, Kelly Rowland, Durrell "Tank" Babbs|
"Ghetto" is a R&B song by American singer Kelly Rowland. It was written by Durrell "Tank" Babbs, Calvin Broadus, Joseph "Lonny" Bereal and Rowland, and produced by Tank for her second studio album Ms. Kelly (2007), featuring guest vocals by rapper Snoop Dogg.
Originally recorded for the shelved My Story album, the crunk music-influenced track was released as Ms. Kelly`s second single in North America in August 2007 (see 2007 in music), where it achieved minor success, reaching number nine on the U.S. Billboard Bubbling Under R&B/Hip-Hop Singles only. Never released elsewhere, the songs ranks as Rowland's lowest-selling single to date. An accompanying music video was directed by Andrew Gura and shot in Los Angeles, California in August 2007.
The song is one out of two recordings singer and songwriter Tank and partner Joseph "Lonny" Bereal produced for the album. One of her favorites on the album, Rowland has described "Ghetto" as "about good girls who dig bad boys," adding: "As soon as Tank played it, I knew and recorded it in an hour. [It] is just so laid back and that's why I had to have Snoop [Dogg]." Originally recorded without Snoop Dogg for the delayed 2006 My Story album, it was not until months prior to the Ms. Kelly release, that the rapper was consulted to contribute additional vocals to the track. "He's the King of Cool, so I was honoured when he said yes to do the record. It was like a dream come true," Rowland stated in an interview with Blue & Soul in 2007. "He [just] put his Snoop-a-fied player-isms on the track [...] He just gives it that something. I like it when a song can make you feel good."
The music video for "Ghetto" was directed by Andrew Gura and shot in Los Angeles, California on August 23, 2007. It features cameo appearances by rappers MC Eiht, Kam, and Soopafly. "It's ghetto," Rowland said about filming. "It's really fly. I feel like everybody has some sort of element of ghetto in them. Think about it. Right? Wouldn't you say so? And everyone knows what the ghetto is."
Released in North America only, "Ghetto" went for radio ads in August 2007 and was added by about 28 urban stations and very few rhythmic stations. On September 1, 2007, it debuted on the U.S. Billboard Bubbling Under R&B/Hip-Hop Singles chart at number nine which is equivalent to number 109 on the R&B/Hip-Hop chart. As it neither managed to climb any higher on that particular chart, nor made it to any other official chart, the songs ranks as Rowland's lowest-selling single to date. Although Rowland noted that it was her decision to pick the track as the album's second single, she somewhat regretted to release it retrospectively.
Formats and track listings
These are the formats and track listings of major single-releases of "Ghetto".
- Promotional single
- "Ghetto" (Junior Vasquez & Gomi's Jazzy radio mix) – 3:29
- "Ghetto" (Junior Vasquez & Gomi's Jazzy main mix) – 7:56
- "Ghetto" (Junior Vasquez In Da Club mix) – 9:52
- "Ghetto" (Junior Vasquez In Da Dub mix) – 8:07
- "Ghetto" (Junior Vasquez & Gomi's Jazzy Radio TV track) – 3:28
- "Ghetto" (Junior Vasquez & Gomi's Jazzy Main TV track) – 7:56
|US Bubbling Under R&B/Hip-Hop Singles (Billboard)||9|
- "Bubbling Under R&B/Hip-Hop Single (2007-09-01)". Billboard. Retrieved 2009-05-18.
- Gottlieb, Steven (2007-08-09). "BOOKED: Kelly Rowland f/ Snoop Dogg – Andrew Gura, director". Video Static. Retrieved 2007-05-12.
- MTV Staff (2006-04-07). "For The Record: Quick News On Ciara, Bow Wow, Ozzy Osbourne, Jessica Simpson, Kelly Rowland, JoJo & More". MTV News. Retrieved 2009-05-16.
- "Kelly Rowland Biography". Take40. Retrieved 2009-05-16.
- Chaundy, Joanna (2007-07-07). "Kelly Rowland: Single Black Female". Blue & Soul. Retrieved 2009-05-16.
- Rodriguez, Jayson (2007-08-27). "Kelly Rowland Talks Snoop-Enhanced 'Ghetto' — And Destiny's Child Reunion?". MTV News. Retrieved 2008-02-02.
- "Kelly Rowland Speaks To Top DC Fansite". That Grape Juice. 2008-05-18. Retrieved 2009-05-16.