Cover of the first manga volume published by Houbunsha, featuring main heroine Naru Sekiya.
|Genre||Slice of Life, Comedy|
|Written by||Sou Hamayumiba|
|Magazine||Manga Time Kirara Forward|
|Original run||June 2011 – ongoing|
|Anime television series|
|Directed by||Atsuko Ishizuka|
|Written by||Reiko Yoshida|
|Network||TV Tokyo, TVO, TVA, AT-X|
|Original run||July 7, 2014 – ongoing|
|Hanayamata Yosakoi Live|
|Developer||Bandai Namco Games|
|Publisher||Bandai Namco Games|
Hanayamata (ハナヤマタ?, also stylized as HaNaYaMaTa) is a Japanese manga series by Sou Hamayumiba, serialized in Houbunsha's seinen manga magazine Manga Time Kirara Forward since June 2011. It has been collected in four tankōbon volumes as of January 2014. An anime television series adaptation by Madhouse began airing in Japan from July 7, 2014.
Naru Sekiya is an ordinary 14-year old girl who likes fairy tales, but is worried about her lack of other interests. She has a chance encounter with a "fairy", a foreign girl practicing dance at night. On a spur of the moment, Naru asks to join her and is introduced to the world of yosakoi dancing.
- Naru Sekiya (関谷 なる Sekiya Naru?)
- Voiced by: Reina Ueda
- A 14 year old girl who considers herself extremely average. Aside from reading fairy tales, she doesn't have many interests outside of practising kendo at home. She lacks confidence to bring herself out of her routine life, but upon encountering Hana and taking up yosakoi, she starts to change little by little. Her favorite flower is the cherry blossom.
- Hana N. Fountainstand (ハナ・N・フォンテーンスタンド Hana Enu Fontēnsutando?)
- Voiced by: Minami Tanaka
- An excitable American girl who transfers into Naru's class. Having become fascinated with yosakoi following a trip to Japan when she was young, she decided to move there and form her own yosakoi club, inviting Naru to join her. She tends to get a little over excited and sometimes dances in dangerous locations. Her favorite flower is the bluestar.
- Yaya Sasame (笹目 ヤヤ Sasame Yaya?)
- Voiced by: Kaya Okuno
- Naru's best friend whose parents work in a noodle shop. She possesses both brains and beauty, making her very popular at her school, but has messy handwriting. She initially is hesitant towards yosakoi and joins in name only, but after her dream of forming a band falls apart, she soon joins the club in earnest. Her favorite flower is the rose.
- Tami Nishimikado (西御門 多美 Nishimikado Tami?)
- Voiced by: Yuka Ōtsubo
- The student council vice-president at Naru's school. As both of their fathers were acquaintances, she and Naru grew up together, with Naru regarding her as a big sister. She is quite fond of her father, often being accused of having an Electra complex, and spend most of her time focusing on becoming a proper Japanese woman in order to please her. However, Naru soon helps her to overcome her worries and she joins the yosakoi club. Her favorite flower is the lily.
- Machi Tokiwa (常盤 真智 Tokiwa Machi?)
- Voiced by: Manami Numakura
- The student council president and Tami's close friend. Whilst generally strict, she is particularly weak to sweet things, as well as Tami's general requests. Her favorite flower is the sunflower.
- Sally Tokiwa (常盤 沙里 Tokiwa Sari?)
- Voiced by: Megumi Toyoguchi
- Naru, Yaya, and Hana's homeroom and English teacher and Machi's older sister, who is often nicknamed 'Sally-sensei'.
- Masaru Ōbune (大船 勝 Ōbune Masaru?)
- Voiced by: Tsuyoshi Koyama
- A 33 year old bachelor who runs the Yosakoi Masaru shop. Despite having an appearance like a bald yakuza, he is quite friendly and eager to help those learning yosakoi.
|1||Hanayamata 01 (ハナヤマタ 01)||December 12, 2011||ISBN 978-4-8322-4089-6|
|2||Hanayamata 02 (ハナヤマタ 02)||July 12, 2012||ISBN 978-4-8322-4167-1|
|3||Hanayamata 03 (ハナヤマタ 03)||April 12, 2013||ISBN 978-4-8322-4285-2|
|4||Hanayamata 04 (ハナヤマタ 04)||January 10, 2014||ISBN 978-4-8322-4392-7|
|5||Hanayamata 05 (ハナヤマタ 05)||July 11, 2014||ISBN 978-4-8322-4461-0|
An anime television series adaptation produced by Madhouse began airing in Japan on July 7, 2014 and is being simulcast by Crunchyroll. The opening theme is "Hana wa Odoreya Iroha ni Ho" (花ハ躍レヤいろはにほ Dancing in the Scent of Flowers?) by Team Hanayamata (Reina Ueda, Kaya Okuno, Minami Tanaka, Yuka Ōtsubo, and Manami Numakura) whilst the ending theme is "Hanayuki" (花雪 Snowflake?) by smileY inc..
|#||Episode title||Original air date|
|1||"Shall We Dance?"
"Sharu Wi Dansu?" (シャル・ウィ・ダンス？)
|July 7, 2014|
|Naru Sekiya is a middle school girl who, besides a fascination with fairy tales, considers herself average in almost every regard, particularly in comparison to her friend Yaya Sasame, who is the drummer in an amateur band. Whilst walking home from an errand late at night, Naru comes across a blonde haired girl dancing in the moonlight, believing her to be a fairy and asking her to take her to another world. The girl invites Naru to dance with her, but Naru isn't confident enough and runs off, inadvertantly taking a paddle with her. The next day, the girl, who turns out to be an American transfer student named Hana N. Fountainstand, starts asking Naru if she would like to partake in yosakoi with her, but Naru is too intimidated by her forwardness and rejects her. The next day, as Hana continues to try and find members for a yosakoi club, she explains to Naru that even though she's having no luck in finding any members, she wants to pursue her dream of becoming a true yosakoi dancer because it is her decision. Naru laments that she has no such interests to speak of and considers herself empty, but Hana tells her that it simply means she has plenty of room to discover new things. Moved by her words and admitting she had fun dancing with her, Naru offers to help Hana recruit members for her club and becomes friends with her.|
"Jerashī Rōzu" (ジェラシー・ローズ)
|July 14, 2014|
|Hana comes over to Naru's house to discuss how to attract more club members, where she reveals a bit more about herself and teaches Naru about the paddle yosakoi dancers use, the naruko. Meanwhile, Yaya becomes noticeably jealous as Naru starts spending more and more time with Hana. When Yaya's jealousy leads her to inadvertantly insult Naru, questioning her ability to take yosakoi seriously, Naru argues back at her, determined to prove she is capable of learning yosakoi within a week. Wanting the two to make up, Hana takes Yaya to watch Naru's practice, showing that even though Naru is struggling to get the moves down, she continues to try hard in order to meet Yaya's approval. Realising the error of her ways, Yaya stays to watch Naru's awkward but admirable dance and manages to make up with her.|
"Gāruzu Sutairu" (ガールズ・スタイル)
|July 21, 2014|
|Naru and Hana visit the Yosakoi Masaru shop run by Masaru Ōbune, who proves to be quite hospitable despite his intimidating appearance and offers some beginner yosakoi tips. Learning of an upcoming yosakoi festival, the girls resume their recruiting efforts, but are informed by student council president Machi Tokiwa that in order to be recognised an official club, they need at least four members and an advisor. Hana approaches their homeroom teacher, Sally, who tells them to get two more members before asking about becoming their advisor. During the weekend, Hana is introduced to Naru's childhood friend, Tami Nishimikado, who shows an interest in their performance. The next day, Hana shows up at Yaya's soba restaurant, crashing in on Yaya's plans to watch movies alone with Naru. Yaya ends up hanging out with Hana, hearing from her about how she wants to make the most out of her life by doing fun things, only to completely miss her date with Naru. The next day, Machi appears before the girls, informing them they are not allowed to use the rooftop to practise without permission.|
"Purinsesu Purinsesu" (プリンセス・プリンセス)
|July 28, 2014|
|As Tami helps the others with their situation, Hana contemplates inviting her to join the yosakoi club. Later that night, Naru accompanies Tami, mentioning how Hana and Yaya helped give her the courage to move forward. The next day, Naru and Hana show Tami their yosakoi and, upon seeing her ballet skills, ask her to join the club. However, Tami feels obligated to her current lessons and turns them down, believing joining the club would disappoint her father. As Tami becomes more conflicted, having given up many things she loved for the sake of becoming a proper woman to make her father happy, Naru comforts her, wanting to help her and be by her side, giving Tami the courage to talk with her father about what she truly wants.|
"Fāsuto Suteppu" (ファースト・ステップ)
|August 4, 2014|
|6||August 11, 2014|
|7||August 18, 2014|
|8||August 25, 2014|
- Chapman, Hope (July 7, 2014). "The Summer 2014 Anime Preview Guide: HaNaYaMaTa". Anime News Network. Retrieved July 8, 2014.
- "ハナヤマタ" (in Japanese). Houbunsha. Retrieved December 21, 2013.
- "Madhouse Studio Makes Hanayamata Schoolgirl Dancing TV Anime". Anime News Network. December 21, 2013. Retrieved December 21, 2013.
- "Reina Ueda Leads Hanayamata Anime Cast This Summer". Anime News Network. April 13, 2014. Retrieved April 13, 2014.
- "Crunchyroll Streams HaNaYaMaTa TV Anime". Anime News Network. July 6, 2014. Retrieved July 7, 2014.
- 2014-06-22, Hanayamata game announced for PS Vita, Gematsu