Hindustani people (People of Hindustan), also known as Hindi People or Hindavi (People of Hind) are a panethnicity primarily living in Hindi belt region of India, which is located in the Gangetic Plain of North India, between the Himalayas and the Vindhyas, identified as such on one or more of genealogical, linguistic, or cultural grounds.
Traditionally, Hindustani or Hindavi identity is primarily linguistic with Hindustanis or Hindavis being those who has Hindustani language(Hindi/Urdu) and in broader sense variety of Hindi as their primary language, mainly residing in present day Indian States of Bihar, Uttarakhand, Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Haryana and Delhi: in other words, the Hindi belt.Original Urdu speaking Muhajir people (Immigrants) of Pakistan are from the same Hindustani root.
The Hindustani or Hindavi People seems to be of ethnolinguistic in origin rather than as an ethnic group.If the diverse Hindustani pan-ethnicity is regarded as a single ethnic group, then it constitutes one of the world's largest.
Although the word "Hindustani" refers to people, it is historically important to understand the complex history, culture, ethos & demography of the subcontinent. Certain groups of Hindustani people are identified with multiple identities, with a more localized prioritized ethnic orientation, for example, Haryanvi people, Avadhi people, Malvi people, Himachali people, Rajasthani people, in addition to further tribal, village,and/or religious identities. However, whenever used, it is used to generally denote people whose native language is Hindustani language and in broader sense variety of Hindi and belong to certain parts of north India ( i.e. Hindi belt ) 
Use of term in media and culture
The word Hindustani people is used in many patriotic songs and films, made during the British era and even after independence, wherein it implies to persons belonging to India or Hindustan as a whole and not restricted to imply only persons of Hindi belt.
One famous film implying the above definition, was Hum Hindustani made in 1960 and another was Hum Hindustani (Television Serial) directed by Hrishikesh Mukherjee in 1986. Hindustani, as Surname, was used in film Raja Hindustani where lead role was known by this name.
The word "Hindustani people" is also used in a national sense, when used in broad sense with culture, heritage and the customs of Hindustan.
- Hudson, John C., ed., Goode’s World Atlas 20th Edition Chicago, Illinois, USA:2000—Rand McNally Map Page 203 Major Languages of India—map of the ethnolinguistic groups of India
- Hidu writers constitute an overwhelming numbers of Hindustani people. Along with Urdu writers, they serve inhabitants of Bihar, U.P., Delhi, Madhya Bharat Marxist Cultural Movement in India: 1947-1958 by Sudhi Pradhan Page 40
- In Hazaribagh, Hinudstani people are found but in west and south people are mainly aboriginal.The Indian encyclopaedia: biographical, historical, religious..,Volume 3,edited by Subodh Kapoor. Page 724
-  The People of India by Herbert Risley, 1999.
- HINDUSTANI SPEAKING-PEOPLE Annual report of the Missionary Society of the Methodist Episcopal Church Methodist Episcopal Church. Missionary Society Free eBook, 1857
-  The Sikhs and Afghans, in connexion with the India and Persia, immediately after death of Rajit Singh By Shahāmat ʻAlī
- The Orient and its people by Jeannette L. Hauser, Isiah L. Hauser published by I. L. Hauser & company, 1876. Page 50-57, Page 164