Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Mohali
Motto in English
|In Pursuit of Knowledge|
|Location||Ajitgarh, Punjab, India
|Campus||Suburban, 125 acres|
Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Mohali (IISER Mohali) is an autonomous academic institution established in 2007 at Mohali, Punjab, India. It is one of the five Indian Institutes of Science Education and Research (IISERs), established by the Ministry of Human Resources and Development, Government of India, to research in frontier areas of science and to provide science education at the undergraduate and postgraduate level. It is recognized as an Institute of National Importance by the Government of India.
The institute was approved by The Planning Commission in New Delhi in July 2006 and land was provided by The Punjab State government. The foundation stone of IISER Mohali was laid on 27 September 2006 by the Prime Minister of India, Manmohan Singh. The Computing Facility of IISER Mohali was inaugurated on 3 September 2007 by T. Ramasami (Secretary, Department of Science and Technology). The Earth-breaking ceremony for IISER boundary wall was held on 29 December 2008 at the proposed campus site in Knowledge City, Sector 81, S.A.S. Nagar. The ceremony was performed by N. Sathyamurthy, the director of the institute.
C.N.R. Rao inaugurated the Chemistry Research Laboratory on 8 April 2009. The Central Analytical Facility of IISER Mohali has been inaugurated in March 2010. Initially the institute started its working from a transit campus in Mahatma Gandhi State Institute of Public Administration (MGSIPA), Chandigarh. In March 2010, institute started shifting to its permanent campus in The Knowledge City at Sector 81 with the opening of Central Analytical Facility (CAF) and completed the shifting in May 2013 by shutting operations in MGSIPAP complex, Sector 26, Chandigarh.
- Integrated Master's level (B.S.-M.S.): Admission to this program is after 10+2 years of school training and is currently done in co-ordination with the other IISERs through a Joint Admission Programme.
- Integrated Doctoral Program(Int. Ph.D.): Students after three years of undergraduate education can join the program.
- Doctoral Program (Ph.D.): Admission to the doctoral program is after a Master's degree in science.
- NMR Research Facility (NMR)
- X-ray Facility - X-ray Diffraction Crystallograph
- Cell Culture Facility
- Atomic Force microscope
- Laser Raman and AFM Facility-Raman Infra red spectroscope
- Circular Dichroic Spectrometer
- Atmospheric Chemistry Facility
- Computing Facility
- Scanning Electron Microscopy
- DC Sputtering
- PLD Machine
- Proton Transfer Reaction Mass Spectrometer (PTR-MS)
- Laser micro-Raman spectroscope
- Single Crystal X-ray Diffractometer
- 43rd National Seminar on Crystallography: 28–30 March 2014
- 32nd meeting of the Astronomical Society of India (ASI): 20–22 March 2014
- 7th JNOST Conference: 15–18 December 2011
- International Workshop "Knots, Braids and Topology",2013
- History of Chemistry in India,2013
- International Conference on Gravitation and Cosmology (ICGC) 2015
- Conference on Nonlinear Systems and Dynamics,2013
- Conference on Nonlinear Systems and Dynamics,2015
- Health Centre
- Counseling Service
- Accommodation & Transport
- World Class Library
- Sports Complex
- Computer Center
IISER Mohali's first cultural festival (Conoscenza) was held in 2012. Spread over three days, a Parliamentary Debate and numerous quizzes were the main events. A workshop on 'science writing' was also organised.
The next year, Conoscenza was replaced by a full-fledged cultural festival- Insomnia. Apart from parliamentary debate and quizzing, the availability of a large auditorium enabled the organisation of events related to music, dance and dramatics.
Insomnia is planned to be held every year- with Insomnia 2014 scheduled to be held between 4 and 6 April.
Insomnia 2015 held on 27-29 march 2015 and many many cultural, quizzing and gaming contests were the key features of the event and most importantly the theme of Insomnia 2015 was "GO GREEN" that affected most of contestant and forced their minds to come and join. 
National Science Day Celebrations
National Science Day celebrations on the 28th of February are a regular feature at IISER Mohali, every year. Invitations are sent to schools in Mohali, Chandigarh, Panchkula and nearby areas. The focus of the day is on science and mathematics demonstrations prepared by IISER Mohali students and faculty members. A large number of schools send teams for inter-school competitions such as science quizzes, group discussions, treasure hunt, junkyard wars, poster presentation held on this day. Other non-competitive events such as documentary screening, anti-superstition demonstrations, atc. are also held. The day usually ends with a 'panel discussion' in which the school students ask science-related questions to a panel of faculty members of IISER Mohali. Physics Demo was done by Ankit Labh, topic was "Motion Power Energy Harvester" in which he shows how to trap Electrical Energy from a Speed Breaker on the road. Also a lot of student were indulge in the same kind of Demos.
The Opportunity Cell was first proposed by the Student Representative Council in October 2011 as a joint student-faculty body to provide guidance to students about research and job opportunities. In the year 2012−13, the opportunity cell established a summer research and internship program with National Centre for Biological Sciences (NCBS), Bangalore, Connexios Life sciences  and Lucid Software Limited (Lucid). It also organized various seminars such as "Alternative Careers in Science", "Research Opportunities at University of St Andrews" etc. Currently the cell disseminates information about summer research programs, PhD positions and research oriented jobs.
Two editions of IISER Mohali's magazine ("Manthan") have been published so far.
Current notable faculty
- Inder Bir Singh Passi, Bhatnagar Prize winning Mathematician
- Narayanasami Sathyamurthy, Bhatnagar Prize winning Chemist
- Kapil Hari Paranjape, Bhatnagar Prize winning Mathematician
- Meera Nanda, Historian and Philosopher of Science
- Dr. Nagaraj G Prasad, Biologist
- Dr. Vinayak Sinha, Earth Sciences and Chemistry
- Dr. Baerbel Sinha, Environmental Scientist
- Prof. Arvind, Physicist
- "IISER Mohali, Faculty". Retrieved May 27, 2013.
- "IISER Mohali Website". Retrieved April 1, 2013.
- "IISER Mohali website". Retrieved April 1, 2013.
- New Science Institute to come up in Mohali
- IISER starts classes from new campus at Mohali
- "Events - IISER". Retrieved 10 August 2011.