National Institute of Design
|National Institute of Design|
|Type||Autonomous National Institution|
|Location||Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India|
Coordinates: The National Institute of Design (NID) is a design school in Ahmedabad, India. The institute functions as an autonomous body under the Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion, Ministry of Commerce and Industry, government of India. NID is recognised by the Department of Scientific and Industrial Research under Ministry of Science and Technology, government of India, as a scientific and industrial design research organisation.
- 1 Overview
- 2 Background
- 3 Courses offered
- 4 Proposed NIDs
- 5 Notable Alumni
- 6 See also
- 7 References
- 8 External links
The institute has three campuses:
- The heritage campus at the Paldi, Ahmedabad,
- The postgraduate campus at the National Institute of Design, Gandhinagar established on 19 July 2004 to move the postgraduate courses from the heritage campus,
- The R&D campus at the Bangalore established on 31 March 2006 offering 2 IT Integrated courses (Information and Interface Design, Design for Digital Experience and Design for Retail Experience).
It was as result of the Industrial Policy Resolution of 1953 that the government of India invited the design team of Charles and Ray Eames to recommend a programme of design to serve as an aid to small industries in India. On the basis of their document, 'The India Report', the government of India set up the National Institute of Design in 1961 as an autonomous national institution for research, service and training in Industrial Design and Visual Communication. Designer and sculptor Dashrath Patel was its founder secretary, he held the post till 1981, and was awarded the Padma Shri in the same year.
The institute offers two kinds of courses:
- Graduate Diploma Programme in Design (GDPD)
- Postgraduate Diploma Programme in Design (PGDPD)
Postgraduate Diploma Programme in Design
This 2 to 2.5-year programme is offered in the following areas of specialisation in 14 design disciplines under the five faculties.
Eligibility criteria for PGDPD: Candidates having a Bachelor's degree or equivalent in the areas mentioned in each discipline below are eligible to apply. Diploma holders from premier specialised institutions are considered on par with Bachelor's Degree in certain cases.
- Product Design: B.Tech, BE (Mech./Mechatronics) B.Arch.
- Transportation and Automobile Design: B.Tech, BE (Mech./Mechatronics) B.Arch.
- Furniture and Interior Design: B.Tech, BE, B.Arch., Interior Design
- Game Design: B.Tech,B.F.A., Applied Arts, B.Tech,BIT, B.Arch, Visual Communication, Mass Media, BSc. Computer Science, Child Development, Therapy, Graduates in any other area with aptitude and proven talent for Toy/Game Design and Digital Media.
- Ceramic and Glass Design: Ceramic and Glass Design/Technology, BFA, graduates in other disciplines with experience in Ceramic and Glass fields.
Textile and Apparel Design
- Textile Design: B.F.A, Applied Arts, Textile/Handloom Technology, Textile/Knitwear/Fashion Design, Home Science (with Textile and Clothing)
- Apparel Design and Merchandising: B.F.A., Applied Arts, Textile/Knitwear/Fashion Design or graduates in merchandising or any other disciplines with proven proficiency in drawing and garment construction and presentation
- Lifestyle Accessory Design: B.F.A, B.Arch., Applied Arts, Design,Interior Design, Accessory Design and relevant disciplines in technology and engineering.
- Graphic Design: B.F.A, Applied Arts, B.Arch. Interior Design, graduates with experience in Graphic Design.
- Animation Film Design: B.F.A, Applied Arts, Design, B.Arch, Communication Media, Film & TV, Mass Media, graduates with experience in the animation Industry
- Film and Video Communication: Humanities, Arts, Visual Communication, Mass Media or graduates in any other discipline with relevant work experience 
IT Integrated Design
- New Media Design: B.F.A., Applied Arts, B.Tech, BIT, B.Arch, Visual Communication, Mass Media, BSc. Computer Science, BCA, (Knowledge of Scripting, Authoring and Graphic tools essential)
- Software and User Interface Design: BS (computer Science), B.Arch., BFA, B. Tech (Electronics), B.I.T., BCA, Applied Psychology, Accessory Design with relevant work experience
- Information and Digital Design: B.Arch., BFA, Applied Arts, BSc BCA, (Computer Science), Mass Media, Cognitive Psychology with relevant work experience
- Information and Interface Design: B.Arch., BFA, Applied Arts, BCA, BSc (Computer Science), Mass Media, Cognitive Psychology with relevant work experience
- Design for Digital Experience: B.Arch., BFA, Applied Arts, BCA, BSc (Computer Science), Mass Media, Cognitive Psychology with relevant work experience
Interdisciplinary Design Studies
- Strategic Design Management: Any recognised 3-year Bachelors Degree in Fine Arts, Humanities, Science or a 4-year degree in Engineering, Technology, etc. with work experience of minimum 2 years in a design or design-related organisation
- Design for Retail Experience: Any recognised 3-year Bachelors Degree in Fine Arts, Humanities, Science or a 4-year degree in Engineering, Technology, etc. with work experience of minimum 2 years in a design or design-related organisation
NID Kurukshetra is under construction which was opened by Haryana CM Bhupendra Singh Hooda in 2012. The creation of four NIDs was suggested as part of the Government's 2007 National Design Policy. The plan envisages new NIDs in four states, namely Andhra Pradesh, Assam, Haryana and Madhya Pradesh. The aim is to have the NIDs operational by 2016.
The foundation stone for the Assam campus in Jorhat was laid by Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in February 2011, while land has also been earmarked for the Andhra Pradesh campus in the state capital Hyderabad
The foundation stone for the Hyderabad campus will be laid by Union Minister for Industry, Commerce & Textiles Sri. Anand Sharma in the presence of Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh Sri. N. Kiran Kumar Reddy on 25 May 2013 at 11.00 AM.
Notable alumni of the institute include Prasoon Pandey, Kiran Bir Sethi, Harun Robert and Prateek Sethi, Paromita Banerjee and Sonal Dabral, Sujata Keshavan of Ray and Keshavan, Michael Foley of Foley Designs, Parthiv Shah, Pan Nalin, and Parthiv Shah
- "No product can succeed without a good design: Anand Mahindra". Ahmedabad. The Economic Times. 27 December 2012. Retrieved 2012-12-31.
- "Dashrath Patel`s death marks end of a design era". Zee News. December 3, 2010.
- National Institute of Design - Film and Video Communication. Nid.edu. Retrieved on 2013-10-09.
- "PPP model for new NIDs Nixed". Times of India, Ahmedabad. Times City section, page 6. 1st April 2012.
- "Centre committed to development of Assam, northeast: Manmohan". The Hindu, 19th February 2011
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to National Institute of Design.|
- Official site
- D-Schools: The Global List - BusinessWeek
- MIT Institute of Design, Pune, Maharashtra, India
- AFS Academy of Fashion Studies, New Delhi, India