National Institute of Design
NID became institute of national importance in 2014. NID now has degree granting status. The article for the postgraduate campus can be found at National Institute of Design Gandhinagar and National Institute of Design Bangalore
|National Institute of Design|
|Type||Autonomous National Institution|
|Location||Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India|
Coordinates: The National Institute of Design (NID) is a design school in Ahmedabad, India. The institute functions as an autonomous body under the Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion, Ministry of Commerce and Industry, government of India. NID is recognised by the Department of Scientific and Industrial Research under Ministry of Science and Technology, government of India, as a scientific and industrial design research organisation.
- 1 Overview
- 2 Background
- 3 Courses offered
- 3.1 Graduate Diploma Programme in Design
- 3.1.1 Faculty of Communication Design
- 3.1.2 Faculty of Industrial Design
- 3.1.3 Faculty of Textile Design
- 3.2 Postgraduate Diploma Programme in Design
- 3.1 Graduate Diploma Programme in Design
- 4 Proposed NIDs
- 5 Notable alumni
- 6 See also
- 7 References
- 8 External links
The institute has three campuses:
- The heritage campus at the Paldi, Ahmedabad,
- The postgraduate campus at the National Institute of Design, Gandhinagar established on 19 July 2004 to move the postgraduate courses from the heritage campus,
- The R&D campus at the Bangalore established on 31 March 2006 offering 2 IT Integrated courses (Information and Interface Design, Design for Digital Experience and Design for Retail Experience).
It was as result of the Industrial Policy Resolution of 1953 that the government of India invited the design team of Charles and Ray Eames to recommend a programme of design to serve as an aid to small industries in India. On the basis of their document, 'The India Report', the government of India set up the National Institute of Design in 1961 as an autonomous national institution for research, service and training in Industrial Design and Visual Communication. Designer and sculptor Dashrath Patel was its founder secretary, he held the post till 1981, and was awarded the Padma Shri in the same year.
The institute offers two kinds of courses:
- Graduate Diploma Programme in Design (GDPD).
- Postgraduate Diploma Programme in Design (PGDPD)
Graduate Diploma Programme in Design
This 4 year undergraduate program is offered in 8 design disciplines under three faculties.
Eligibility criteria for GDPD: Candidates having completed 12 years of schooling are eligible to apply. Admissions is based upon a highly competitive national test known as NID Design Aptitude Test  conducted around second week of January. Candidates qualifying in Aptitude test are called for Studio Test, Personal Interview and Portfolio Presentation. Successful candidates are notified of selection in first week of May.
Faculty of Communication Design
The Faculty of Communication Design offers undergraduate degrees in four disciplines.
Animation Film Design
Animation Film Design encourages students to design creative solutions for problems through communication design and moving images.
Exhibition design is similar to controlled storytelling, and the exhibition designer has to understand a totality of experience. The Exhibition Design program integrates several disciplines such as Communication Design, Industrial Design, and Spatial Design.
Film and Video Communication
Students in the classical film-making tradition and in short films.
Visual culture is a combination of innumerable messages and images, from past and present. The design of messages, in the form of text, image, and now moving images is the role of the graphic designer.
Faculty of Industrial Design
The Faculty of Industry Design offers undergraduate degrees in three disciplines.
Ceramic & Glass Design
The creation of ceramic and glass objects of utilitarian and aesthetic value is one of the oldest activities of human beings. Ceramic and Glass Design takes inspiration from art and craft traditions, as well as modern techniques of mass production.
Furniture and Interior Design
Furniture impacts our immediate living environment breathing life and function into empty spaces. Objects around us become extensions of our bodies and directly affect the quality of life. Through sensitive design, furniture can cater to a variety of human needs such as those of the elderly, children, and the differently abled.
Product design is the creation of objects of utilitarian value to people. Products function as part of larger systems, and the product designer's role is constantly growing as she/her understands the larger implications of products, and the relationships with users.
Faculty of Textile Design
The Faculty of Textile Design offers undergraduate degrees in Textile discipline.
Textile design is the understanding and creation of textiles to solve design problems.
Postgraduate Diploma Programme in Design
This 2 to 2.5-year programme is offered in the following areas of specialisation in 14 design disciplines under the five faculties.
Eligibility criteria for PGDPD: Candidates having a Bachelor's degree or equivalent in the areas mentioned in each discipline below are eligible to apply. Diploma holders from premier specialised institutions are considered on par with Bachelor's Degree in certain cases.
- Product Design: B.Tech, BE (Mech./Mechatronics) B.Arch.
- Transportation and Automobile Design: B.Tech, BE (Mech./Mechatronics) B.Arch.
- Furniture and Interior Design: B.Tech, BE, B.Arch., Interior Design
- Game Design: B.Tech, B.F.A., Applied Arts, B.Tech, BIT, B.Arch, Visual Communication, Mass Media, BSc. Computer Science, Child Development, Therapy, Graduates in any other area with aptitude and proven talent for Toy/Game Design and Digital Media.
- Ceramic and Glass Design: Ceramic and Glass Design/Technology, BFA, graduates in other disciplines with experience in Ceramic and Glass fields.
the best college to graduate 12th sic is gmhss
Textile and Apparel Design
- Textile Design: B.F.A, Applied Arts, Textile/Handloom Technology, Textile/Knitwear/Fashion Design, Home Science (with Textile and Clothing)
- Apparel Design and Merchandising: B.F.A., Applied Arts, Textile/Knitwear/Fashion Design or graduates in merchandising or any other disciplines with proven proficiency in drawing and garment construction and presentation
- Lifestyle Accessory Design: B.F.A, B.Arch., Applied Arts, Design, Interior Design, Accessory Design and relevant disciplines in technology and engineering.
- Graphic Design: Degree in any discipline, OR Diploma in Design (under 10+2+4yr)
- Animation Film Design: Degree in any discipline, OR Diploma in Design (under 10+2+4yr)
- Film and Video Communication: Degree in any discipline, OR Diploma in Design (under 10+2+4yr)
IT Integrated Design
- New Media Design: B.F.A., Applied Arts, B.Tech, BIT, B.Arch, Visual Communication, Mass Media, BSc. Computer Science, BCA, (Knowledge of Scripting, Authoring and Graphic tools essential)
- Software and User Interface Design: BS (computer Science), B.Arch., BFA, B. Tech (Electronics), B.I.T., BCA, Applied Psychology, Accessory Design with relevant work experience
- Information and Digital Design: B.Arch., BFA, Applied Arts, BSc BCA, (Computer Science), Mass Media, Cognitive Psychology with relevant work experience
- Information and Interface Design: B.Arch., BFA, Applied Arts, BCA, BSc (Computer Science), Mass Media, Cognitive Psychology with relevant work experience
- Design for Digital Experience: B.Arch., BFA, Applied Arts, BCA, BSc (Computer Science), Mass Media, Cognitive Psychology with relevant work experience
Interdisciplinary Design Studies
- Strategic Design Management: Any recognised 3-year Bachelors Degree in Fine Arts, Humanities, Science or a 4-year degree in Engineering, Technology, etc. with work experience of minimum 2 years in a design or design-related organisation
- Design for Retail Experience: Any recognised 3-year Bachelors Degree in Fine Arts, Humanities, Science or a 4-year degree in Engineering, Technology, etc. with work experience of minimum 2 years in a design or design-related organisation
The creation of four NIDs was suggested as part of the Government's 2007 National Design Policy. The plan envisages new NIDs in four states, namely Andhra Pradesh, Assam, Haryana and Madhya Pradesh. The aim is to have the NIDs operational by 2016.
- NID Jorhat : The foundation stone Jorhat campus was laid by Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in February 2011,
- NID Kurukshetra : The foundation stone for Kurukshetra campus was laid by Union Minister for Commerce and Industry Anand Sharma in May 2013. 
- NID Vijayawada : The foundation stone for the Hyderabad campus was laid by Union Minister for Industry, Commerce & Textiles Sri. Anand Sharma in May 2013. Finally, the cabinet decided that the NID will come up in Vijayawada instead of Hyderabad.
- NID, Bhopal.
Notable alumni of the institute include Prasoon Pandey, Kiran Bir Sethi, Harun Robert, Nachiket Barve, Paromita Banerjee and Sonal Dabral, Rahul Mishra, Sujata Keshavan of Ray and Keshavan, Michael Foley of Foley Designs, Pan Nalin, and Parthiv Shah, Paul Sandip of Paul Studio
- "No product can succeed without a good design: Anand Mahindra". Ahmedabad. The Economic Times. 27 December 2012. Retrieved 2012-12-31.
- "Dashrath Patel`s death marks end of a design era". Zee News. December 3, 2010.
- "New Media Design". Cargocollective.com. Retrieved 2014-03-02.
- "PPP model for new NIDs Nixed - Times of India, Ahmedabad. Times City section, page 6. 1st April 2012". Epaper.timesofindia.com. Retrieved 2014-03-02.
- Sushanta Talukdar (2011-02-19). ""Centre committed to development of Assam, northeast: Manmohan". The Hindu, 19th February 2011". Thehindu.com. Retrieved 2014-03-02.
- Parizaad Khan (Aug 9, 2008). "Rahul Mishra: ashion designer". Livemint. Retrieved 2014-02-22.
- "Indian designer Rahul Mishra wins top Milan Fashion Week prize". The Economic Times. 21 Feb 2014. Retrieved 2014-02-22.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to National Institute of Design.|
- Official website
- D-Schools: The Global List - BusinessWeek
- MIT Institute of Design, Pune, Maharashtra, India
- SILICA NID Entrance Info
- AFS Academy of Fashion Studies, New Delhi, India