Infanta Margarita, Duchess of Soria
|Duchess of Soria and Hernani|
|The Duchess and Duke of Soria and Hernani|
|Predecessor||Manfredo de Borbón|
|Alfonso Zurita y de Borbón
María Zurita y de Borbón
|Margarita María de la Victoria Esperanza Jacoba Felicidad Perpetua y Todos los Santos (et omnes sancti)|
|House||House of Bourbon|
|Father||Infante Juan, Count of Barcelona|
|Mother||Princess María Mercedes of Bourbon-Two Sicilies|
6 March 1939 |
Rome, Kingdom of Italy
Infanta Margarita, Duchess of Soria (Margarita María de la Victoria Esperanza Jacoba Felicidad Perpetua y Todos los Santos (et omnes Sancti) de Borbón y Borbón-Dos Sicilias; born 6 March 1939), is the younger sister of King Juan Carlos I of Spain.
- HE Alfonso Juan Carlos Zurita y de Borbón (b. Madrid, 9 August 1973)
- HE María Sofía Emilia Carmen Zurita y de Borbón (b. Madrid, 16 September 1975)
On 6 January 1979, the Infanta's cousin, Manfredo de Borbón, 1st Duke of Hernani, died and willed his ducal title to be inherited by Margarita. The King granted this request, and on 27 May 1981, she became 2nd Duchess of Hernani with accompanying dignity Grandee of Spain. The peerage title referres to the town Hernani, Spain. The next month, on 23 June 1981, she was also granted a higher dukedom for life by the king, and became Duchess of Soria (referring to the city Soria in Spain).
In 1989, alongside her husband, they created the Fundación Cultural Duques de Soria (The Duke and Duchess of Soria Cultural Foundation). She's also Honorary President of Madrid's delegation of UNICEF and of the Spanish Heart Foundation.
Titles, styles, honours and arms
- 6 March 1939 – 27 May 1981: Her Royal Highness Infanta Margarita of Spain
- 27 May – 23 June 1981: Her Royal Highness Infanta Margarita, Duchess of Hernani
- 23 June 1981 – present: Her Royal Highness Infanta Margarita, Duchess of Soria and Hernani
The Infanta's style and title in full: Her Royal Highness Margarita María de la Victoria Esperanza Jacoba Felicidad Perpetua de Todos los Santos, Infanta of Spain, Duchess of Soria, Duchess of Hernani.
- National Orders
- The 1,192nd Dame of the Royal Order of Queen Maria Luisa (06/03/1957).
- Dame Grand Cross of the Order of Charles III (14/10/1988).
- Dame Grand Cross of the Civil Order of Alfonso X (25/04/2003).
- Foreign Orders
- Former sovereign families
- House of Bourbon-Two Sicilies : Dame Grand Cross of Justice of the Sacred Military Constantinian Order of Saint George (1960).
|Spanish Royal Family|
|HM The King
HM The Queen
HRH The Duchess of Soria and Hernani
- Doña Margot. La Infanta más marchosa
- de Badts de Cugnac, Chantal; Coutant de Saisseval, Guy (2002). Le Petit Gotha. Paris: Laballery. pp. 419–420. ISBN 2-9507974-3-1.
- Enache, Nicolas (1999). La Descendance de Marie-Therese de Habsburg, Reine de Hongrie et de Boheme. Paris: ICC. pp. 532–534. ISBN 2-908003-04-X.
- (Spanish)  Universidad de Valladolid, Nota de Prensa 09-01-30 (accessed on 11 December 2009)
- (Spanish) Royal Decree 483/2003 The Duchess of Soria and Hernani member of the Spanish Royal Order of Alfonso X. BOE, Spanish Official Journal. (accessed 2 November 2008)
- Portugal State visit to Spain
- Membership of the Constantinian Order
- (Spanish) Royal Cadency of Spain-Standards. Blog de Heráldica – 1 November 2010. (Retrieved 10 October 2012)
- "Cadency of the Spanish Royal House". José Juan Carrión Rangel, Blog de heráldica. Retrieved 2009-11-29. (Spanish)
Infanta Margarita, Duchess of Soria
Cadet branch of the Capetian dynastyBorn: 6 March 1939
Manfredo de Borbón
|Duchess of Hernani
1981 – present
Alfonso Zurita y de Borbón