Ivanhoe Girls' Grammar School
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2007)|
|Ivanhoe Girls' Grammar School|
Latin: Lux Mea Christus
Christ my light
|Ivanhoe, Victoria, Australia|
|Type||Independent, Single-sex, Day school|
|Principal||Dr Heather Schnagl AM|
|Colour(s)||Royal Blue, Chocolate Brown and White|
Ivanhoe Girls' Grammar School is affiliated with the Association of Heads of Independent Schools of Australia (AHISA), the Junior School Heads Association of Australia (JSHAA), the Alliance of Girls' Schools Australasia (AGSA), the Association of Independent Schools of Victoria (AISV), and is a founding member of Girls Sport Victoria (GSV).
Classes are held in a number of different buildings. There is a senior and junior library, and cafe, Arts and Hospitality Centre and many other facilities. The Performing Arts Centre, visible from Upper Heidelberg Road, is used frequently both for school performances and external performances (including the local Heidelberg Symphony Orchestra).
Languages and exchange
A bi-annual Art and Hospitality trip to Europe was introduced in 2005which includes visiting Paris, London, Venice, Florence and Rome over a period of 17 days, where students visit various galleries and attend cooking classes.
The school is a member of Girls’ Sport Victoria, alongside 24 other Victorian independent girls’ schools. Sport facilities include an all-weather, multi-purpose sports surface, including an athletics track and jumps strips, as well as an indoor swimming pool. The school is also actively involved in skiing and frequently participates in competitions at various levels.
The school has an extensive musical program including on-campus private tuition and a wide range of musical ensembles. The Junior School offers the Junior Band, the Junior Flute Ensemble, Junior Choir, and Irwin Orchestra while the Senior School offers a wider range of choirs: Cantabile (years 7-9) and Concordia (years 10-12), both of which are non-auditioned, as well as the auditioned choirs Bel Canto (years 7-9) and Chamber Choir (years 10-12). Recently, the smaller Jazz Choir has been founded. Instrumental ensembles on the senior level include the Jazz Band, Bowie Orchestra, Boaden Orchestra, String Orchestra, Concert Band and Stage Band.
Ivanhoe Girls' is actively involved in debatingand participates in the annual competition run by the Debating Association of Victoria. With regional Swannie Award winners in the DAV competitions each year, Ivanhoe Girls’ has a firm alumni base, members of whom go on to adjudication roles. The Greenway Cup, an annual debate against regional rival Ivanhoe Grammar Ridgeway School, takes a more light-hearted approach than conventional debating. This competition is contested by the senior class, with speakers often taking a less formal stance while competing to uphold the school's integrity.
Since 1998, the senior class has raised funds for a humanitarian organisation of their choice via a charity concert held each year. The year level are given four weeks to prepare this much anticipated event in the School's calendar. The Class of 2012 holds the current record of $67,500 AUD for BeyondWater. The class of 2011 raised $47,675 AUD for a small humanitarian organisation based in Melbourne- Front Yard Youth Services. The Class of 2008 raised $47,000.00 AUD for the Australian charity organisation Kids Under Cover. The Class of 2010 raised over $43,000 for The Alannah and Madeline Foundation.
- Rotherwood (Blue)
- Locksley (White)
- Rowena (Yellow)
- Ashby (Red)
- Oswald (Green)
- York (Purple)
The school awards points to each house, based on house-wide achievements in a number of fields including sports and debating. Individuals can also earn points for their house for their own individual achievements. These points are cumulated at the end of the year, and the winning house is announced at the School's "Celebration Night".
There are three different uniforms: the summer uniform (worn in terms 1 and 4), the winter uniform (terms 2 and 3), and the sports uniform, for PE classes and other sporting activities. The winter uniform, as well as the blazer, was redesigned in 2005 by Jane Lamerton, a former student of the school, along with a committee of students and teachers. Redesigns of the summer uniform and sports uniform have also been undertaken and are currently available at the uniform shop on campus. Following the redesign of the winter uniform, blue has been added as a school colour, in addition to brown and replacing the yellow.
- Marjory-Dore Martin - Honorary Professor of the Faculty of Science and Technology at Deakin University; Former Professor of Science Education and Head of the School of Scientific and Developmental Studies in Education at Deakin University
- Jenny Mikakos - Victorian Parliamentary Secretary for Planning; Member of the Legislative Council (ALP) for Northern Metropolitan Region; Former Victorian Parliamentary Secretary for Justice, and MLC (ALP) for Jika Jika Province (also attended Thornbury High School)
- Dorothy Ruth Pizzey AM - Former Principal of St Catherine's School, Toorak (1977–97); Former Secretary of Council for the Association of Heads of Independent Schools Australia etc.
- "Ivanhoe Girls' Grammar School". Find a School. Association of Independent Schools of Victoria. 2007. Retrieved 2008-01-27.
- Ivanhoe Girls' Grammar School- Employment (accessed:21-06-2007)
- "AHISA Schools". Victoria. Association of Heads of Independent Schools of Australia. January 2008. Archived from the original on 2007-11-02. Retrieved 2008-01-27.
- "JSHAA Victorian Directory of Members". Victoria Branch. Junior School Heads' Association of Australia. 2007. Retrieved 2008-01-27.
- Butler, Jan (2006). "Member Schools". Members. The Alliance of Girls' Schools Australasia. Retrieved 2008-01-27.
- Mawkes, Leonie (2005). "Member Schools". Profile. Girls Sport Victoria. Retrieved 2008-01-27.
- Amf.com.au: Community supporters. Retrieved 2011-01-15.
- Suzannah Pearce, ed. (2006-11-17). "MARTIN Marjory-Dore". Who's Who in Australia Live!. North Melbourne, Vic: Crown Content Pty Ltd.
- Suzannah Pearce, ed. (2006-11-17). "MIKAKOS Jenny". Who's Who in Australia Live!. North Melbourne, Vic: Crown Content Pty Ltd.
- Suzannah Pearce, ed. (2006-11-17). "PIZZEY Dorothy Ruth". Who's Who in Australia Live!. North Melbourne, Vic: Crown Content Pty Ltd.