Jawed Karim in 2008
October 28, 1979 |
Merseburg, East Germany
|Alma mater||University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
|Known for||Co-founder of YouTube|
Jawed Karim (born October 28, 1979) is German American internet entrepreneur. He is best known for being the co-founder of the popular video sharing website YouTube. Many of the core components of PayPal, including its real-time anti-fraud system, were also designed and implemented by Karim.
Karim was born in Merseburg, East Germany, but crossed the Berlin Wall and grew up in Neuss, West Germany. He moved to the United States with his family in 1992, two years after German reunification. He graduated from Central High School in Minnesota and later attended the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. He left campus prior to graduating to become an early employee at PayPal, but continued his coursework, earning his Bachelor of Science in computer science in 2004.
While working at PayPal, he met Chad Hurley and Steve Chen. The three later founded the YouTube video sharing website in 2005. YouTube's first video, Me at the zoo, was uploaded by Karim on April 23, 2005.
After co-founding the company and developing the YouTube concept and website with Chad Hurley and Steve Chen, Karim enrolled as a graduate student in computer science at Stanford University while acting as an advisor to YouTube. When YouTube was acquired by Google, Karim received 137,443 shares of stock, worth about $64 million based on Google's closing stock price at the time.
In March 2008, Karim has launched a venture fund called Youniversity Karim Ventures, with the goal of helping current and former university students to develop and launch their business ideas.
Karim was born in Merseburg, East Germany, in 1979 and moved to West Germany in 1980. His father, Naimul Karim, is a Bangladeshi American researcher at 3M. His mother, Christine Karim, is a German scientist and research associate professor of biochemistry at the University of Minnesota. The name "Jawed" is of Persian origin meaning "eternal".
- YouTube: OurGuys, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Department of Computer Science
- Video websites pop up, invite postings, USA Today, November 21, 2005
- YouTube's first video
- New York Times: YouTube’s Payoff: Hundreds of Millionders, The New York Times, February 7, 2007.
- "YouTube Co-Founder Starts Venture Capital Firm". Mashable. 20 March 2008.
- With YouTube, Student Hits Jackpot Again, The New York Times, October 12, 2006.
- Surprise! There's a third YouTube co-founder, USA Today, October 11, 2006.
- Name History and Origin for Javed
- Zodiac Baby Names, Russel Grant
- Persian name derived from the word jawid
- Jawed Karim's Personal Website
- Jawed's YouTube Profile
- Youniversity Ventures
- With YouTube, Grad Student Hits Jackpot Again – New York Times (Oct 12, 2006)
- Surprise! There's a third YouTube co-founder – USA TODAY (Oct 12, 2006)
- Whiz Kid: Jawed Karim, a graduate of St. Paul Central – Star Tribune (Oct 13, 2006)
- He went off to college to make his fortune – The News-Gazette (Oct 16, 2006)