Jinan Military Region
|Jinan Military Region|
Jinan Military Region (highlighted)
|Jinan Military Region|
The Jinan Military Region is one of seven military districts located in the east of the People's Republic of China, covering the Shandong and Henan Provinces, which also form military districts. It appears that Yang Dezhi was one of the first commander of the Jinan MR, from 1958. It is considered a strategic reserve. It includes some of the area previously within the Wuhan Military Region, disbanded in 1985-88.
The International Institute for Strategic Studies attributes the formation with 190,000 personnel, including two armoured divisions, one mechanised infantry division, three motorised infantry divisions, one artillery division, one armoured brigade, one mechanised infantry brigade, four motorised infantry brigades, two artillery brigades, three anti-aircraft brigades, and an anti-tank regiment.
However the People's Liberation Army Ground Force are still reorganising their formations, and numbers of divisions and brigades should be considered indicative.
Known formations include the 127th Mechanised Infantry Division within 54th Group Army, at Luoyang, a ready reaction unit, and the 11th Armoured Brigade with 20th Group Army at Xuchang.
- Fan Changlong (Commander), since September 2004 (CCa member)
- Feng Zhaoju (Deputy Commander) since January 2009
- He Weirong (Deputy Commander) since March 2006
- Li Lianghui (Deputy Commander) since April 2001
- Liu Zhongxing (Deputy Commander) since August 2003
- Yang Zhiqi (Deputy Commander) since April 2004
- Zhang Hetian (Deputy Commander) since August 2006
- Zhang Zhannian (Deputy Commander) since October 2004
- Zhong Shengqin (Deputy Commander) since February 2002
- Zhao Zongqi (Chief-of-Staff) Since January 2008
- Liu Dongdong (Political Officer), since November 2002 (CC member)
- Chen Zhangyuan (Deputy Political Commissar ) since June 2005
- Du Hengyan (Deputy Political Commissar ) since January 2008
- Yin Fengqi (Deputy Political Commissar ) since February 2001
- Zhao Taizhong (Deputy Political Commissar ) since July 2002
- Wang Jian (Political Department Director) Since January 2006
Organizations affiliated with the Jinan Military Region often use the nickname "vanguard" (Chinese: 前卫; pinyin: qiánweì; literally: "front guard"), including the Vanguard Performance Troupe (Chinese: 前卫文工团) and the Vanguard Newspaper (Chinese: 前卫报).
Sources and External Links
- IISS Military Balance 2006
- http://www.giga-hamburg.de/dl/download.php?d=/content/ias/archiv/cds/cds_0805.pdf, p. 25.
- International Institute for Strategic Studies, The Military Balance 2006
- Chapter 8, PLA Ground Forces, by Dennis J Blasko, in The People's Liberation Army as Organisation, RAND, CF182