Jizz in My Pants
|"Jizz in My Pants"|
|Single by The Lonely Island|
|from the album Incredibad|
|Released||December 6, 2008|
|Genre||Comedy hip hop, dirty rap
|Label||Universal Republic Records|
|Writer(s)||Andy Samberg, Akiva Schaffer, Jorma Taccone|
|The Lonely Island singles chronology|
"Jizz in My Pants" (known in the edited version as "J*** in My Pants") is a SNL Digital Short which aired on Saturday Night Live on December 6, 2008 and YouTube on the same day. It serves as the music video for the first single from The Lonely Island's debut album, Incredibad. The video stars The Lonely Island members Andy Samberg, Jorma Taccone and, briefly, Akiva Schaffer, and also features guest appearances by Justin Timberlake (who had also appeared in "Dick in a Box"), Molly Sims and Jamie-Lynn Sigler. "Jizz in My Pants" has been viewed over 128 million times on YouTube, as of September 2013[www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pXfHLUlZf4 [ref]], outviewing OK Go's popular treadmill music video, "Here It Goes Again", in less than six months.
The video's availability on YouTube is due to its publishing by The Lonely Island (and later Universal Republic in an edited version) instead of Saturday Night Live. SNL had previously posted its own videos on YouTube, but removed its channel when Hulu.com was created.
Background and music video
"Jizz in My Pants" was written by The Lonely Island during the summer of 2008. The comedy troupe rented a house in Los Angeles and created a makeshift studio where they would record songs. The singing is similar to the Pet Shop Boys and their song "West End Girls". The video opens with Samberg in a night club singing as he is about to hit on a girl (Molly Sims). They head to her apartment, but as they share a kiss in the hallway outside her door he ejaculates, or "jizzes", prematurely. He refuses to apologize, saying it would be "absurd" and blames the girl for overstimulating him by touching his buttocks. Taccone is then shown in a grocery store (where Justin Timberlake makes a cameo appearance as a janitor) conversing with a check-out girl (Jamie-Lynn Sigler), but jizzes in his pants as well when she asks, "Cash or credit?" He then decides to pay by check.
Samberg then exits a movie theater when the discovery of a missed cellphone call from the girl he met at the club causes him to prematurely ejaculate. In another scene, Taccone is seen driving a Mercedes-Benz while listening to the radio, when a song begins to play that reminds him of the check-out girl, causing him to "jizz" in his pants yet again. Samberg and Taccone then sing about how easily they "jizz in [their] pants" from stimuli such as an alarm clock, opening a window, the twist ending of The Sixth Sense, and simply eating a grape. They explain that merely being adjacent to women causes them to ejaculate, which, they lament, necessitates the constant wearing of condoms under their boxer shorts. Akiva Schaffer can be seen in the background at various times as the disc jockey.
A number of commentators enjoyed "Jizz in My Pants". Jennifer Maerz of SF Weekly felt the video was "funny in a totally moronic way," describing it as "pure electro-trash" with "douchebag clothes, attitudes, and beats". Mickey O'Connor of TV Guide liked the song's "clever lyrics" which "brilliantly satirize the pompous chill of '90s synth rock.'" The New York Observer writer Christopher Rosen described the video as "awesomely catchy", in contrast to the rest of the SNL episode, which he felt was not very good.
"Jizz in My Pants" reception was not all positive, however. Jerry Portwood of New York Press compared the video unfavorably to the work of "Weird Al" Yankovic. The video did not satisfy him "beyond a few chuckles." Portwood preferred Yankovic's ability to parody current events and pop culture, dissecting "what was actually manipulative and mind-numbing about popular music and the market as a whole". He wrote that Samberg, in contrast, sticks to "safe and, ultimately, ineffective parody."
The video was published first on YouTube along with most of Lonely Island's works. As of May 2013[update], "Jizz in My Pants" has been watched over 126 million times, making it the 38th most viewed video on YouTube and Lonely Island's second most popular video ever, coming after "I Just Had Sex ft. Akon".
It is also the 30th most liked video on YouTube as of May 2013.
|Australian Singles Chart||10|
|Canadian Hot 100||52|
|New Zealand Singles Chart||35|
|UK Singles Chart||183|
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||72|
|End of year chart (2009)||Position|
|Australian Singles Chart||100|
- Pastorek, Whitney (December 8, 2008). "'J In My Pants': The resurgence of Jamie-Lynn Sigler". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 2008-12-15.
- Miller, Liz Shannon (December 8, 2008). "J— in My Pants has SNL Back On YouTube. Sort Of.". NewTeeVee.com. Retrieved 2008-12-15.
- Heisler, Steve. "The Lonely Island | Music | Interview". The A.V. Club. Retrieved 2011-05-24.
- "Jizz In My Pants". The Lonely Island. YouTube. Retrieved 2008-12-30.
- Maerz, Jennifer (December 12, 2008). "Electro-Stupidity: Jizzing with SNL". SF Weekly. Retrieved 2008-12-15.
- O'Connor, Mickey (December 9, 2008). "Mega Buzz on CSI, Lost, Big Bang, CSI: NY, Gossip & More!". TV Guide. Retrieved 2008-12-15.
- Rosen, Christopher (December 8, 2008). "Late Night with Jimmy Fallon Goes Online; Will It Get Viral?". The New York Observer. Retrieved 2008-12-15.
- Portwood, Jerry (December 7, 2008). "Samberg & Co. Don't Compare to Weird Al as Song Satirists". New York Press. Retrieved 2008-12-15.
- Cohen, Jonathan (2009-01-17), "WORLDWIDE 'PANTS'". Billboard. 121 (2):35
- Top 50 Singles Chart - Australian Record Industry Association
- "Gold & Platinum". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved 2011-03-26.