John Howard (fighter)
March 1, 1983 |
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
|Residence||Boston, Massachusetts, United States|
|Height||5 ft 7 in (1.70 m)|
|Weight||170 lb (77 kg; 12 st)|
|Reach||71.0 in (180 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Boston, Massachusetts, United States|
|Rank||Purple belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
John J. Howard (born March 1, 1983) is an American professional mixed martial artist currently competing in the Welterweight division of the Ultimate Fighting Championship. A professional competitor since 2004, Howard has also formerly competed for the International Fight League and the Cage Fury Fighting Championships.
Howard was born and raised by his single mother along with his brother in the Dorchester neighborhood of Boston, Massachusetts where he still resides to this day. Dorchester is one of the roughest neighborhoods in the state and Howard got into fights often while growing up. In high school, Howard played football and learned the electrical trade after getting his high school degree. He found martial arts after going to a Job Corps to get his high school diploma where he learned grappling from a freestyle grappler. After graduating, Howard began training at a local gym. Howard's nickname "Doomsday" is from the infamous villain who killed Superman. Howard once sparred against Tamerlan Tsarnaev, a boxer, when the two trained at Wai Kru Mixed Martial Arts in Boston. 
Mixed martial arts career
Ultimate Fighting Championship
Howard was expected to face Anthony Johnson on March 21, 2010 at UFC Live: Vera vs. Jones, but Johnson sustained an injury during training. UFC newcomer Daniel Roberts stepped in to be Howard's new opponent. Howard defeated Roberts via first round KO.
Howard was defeated by Jake Ellenberger via third round TKO due to doctor stoppage at UFC Live: Jones vs. Matyushenko. Though Howard had success on the feet, he was unable to defend the takedowns of Ellenberger. Ellenberger would go on to cause Howard's left eye to close after repeatedly landing short elbows and punches from the guard leading to the stoppage,
Howard was expected to face Martin Kampmann on June 26, 2011 at UFC on Versus 4 However, Kampmann was forced out of the bout with an injury and replaced by Matt Brown. Howard was defeated by Brown after three tough rounds via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28). After the loss to Brown, Howard was released from the promotion.
Classic Entertainment and Sports (CES MMA)
Howard made his CES debut at CES MMA: Never Surrender against Todd Chattelle for the CES Middleweight Championship. He won via TKO in the second round.
Howard made his first title defense against Scott Rehm. He won via TKO.
Howard's next title defense was against Brett Chism. He won via TKO.
Howard's next title defense was at CES MMA: Path to Destruction, against Jason Louck. He won via KO just 23 seconds into the first round.
Howard defended his title for the fourth time against Chris Woodall. He won via KO in the first round.
Return to the UFC
Following the Boston bombing, Howard openly stated that he would like to be on the UFC Fight Night 26 card in Boston, Massachusetts in August 2013 to show support for his hometown. On July 17, 2013, it was announced that he would appear on the card, replacing Josh Samman in a Middleweight bout against Uriah Hall. He defeated Hall via split decision.
Howard has three daughters who live with their mother. Before fighting professionally, Howard worked as an electrician. He is also a diehard New England Patriots fan, and is a fan all of the professional teams out of Boston including the Boston Red Sox, the Boston Celtics, and the Boston Bruins. He also enjoys playing video games in his free time.
Championships and accomplishments
Mixed Martial Arts
- Ring of Combat
- ROC Welterweight Championship (One time)
- CES MMA
- CES Middleweight Championship (One time)
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|33 matches||22 wins||11 losses|
|Loss||22–11||Lorenz Larkin||TKO (punches)||UFC Fight Night: McGregor vs. Siver||January 18, 2015||1||2:17||Boston, Massachusetts, United States|
|Loss||22–10||Brian Ebersole||Decision (split)||UFC 178||September 27, 2014||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||22–9||Ryan LaFlare||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Nogueira vs. Nelson||April 11, 2014||3||5:00||Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates|
|Win||22–8||Siyar Bahadurzada||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 168||December 28, 2013||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Return to Welterweight.|
|Win||21–8||Uriah Hall||Decision (split)||UFC Fight Night: Shogun vs. Sonnen||August 17, 2013||3||5:00||Boston, Massachusetts, United States|
|Win||20–8||Chris Woodall||TKO (punches)||CES MMA: New Blood||June 7, 2013||1||2:14||Lincoln, Rhode Island, United States||Defended CES Middleweight Championship.|
|Win||19–8||Jason Louck||KO (punches)||CES MMA: Path to Destruction||April 12, 2013||1||0:23||Lincoln, Rhode Island, United States||Defended CES Middleweight Championship.|
|Loss||18–8||Leandro Silva||Decision (unanimous)||HFR 2: High Fight Rock 2||October 27, 2012||3||5:00||Goiânia, Brazil|
|Win||18–7||Brett Chism||TKO (punches)||CES MMA: Real Pain||October 6, 2012||2||3:31||Lincoln, Rhode Island, United States||Defended CES Middleweight Championship.|
|Win||17–7||Scott Rehm||TKO (arm injury)||CES MMA: Far Beyond Driven||August 3, 2012||1||1:28||Lincoln, Rhode Island, United States||Defended CES Middleweight Championship.|
|Win||16–7||Todd Chattelle||TKO (punches)||CES MMA: Never Surrender||April 13, 2012||2||4:42||Lincoln, Rhode Island, United States||Won CES Middleweight Championship.|
|Win||15–7||Dennis Olson||Decision (unanimous)||CFA 3||October 9, 2011||3||5:00||Miami, Florida, United States||Return to Middleweight.|
|Loss||14–7||Matt Brown||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Live: Kongo vs. Barry||June 26, 2011||3||5:00||Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States|
|Loss||14–6||Thiago Alves||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 124||December 11, 2010||3||5:00||Montreal, Quebec, Canada|
|Loss||14–5||Jake Ellenberger||TKO (doctor stoppage)||UFC Live: Jones vs. Matyushenko||August 1, 2010||3||2:21||San Diego, California, United States|
|Win||14–4||Daniel Roberts||KO (punches)||UFC Live: Vera vs. Jones||March 21, 2010||1||2:01||Broomfield, Colorado, United States||Knockout of the Night.|
|Win||13–4||Dennis Hallman||KO (punches)||The Ultimate Fighter: Heavyweights Finale||December 5, 2009||3||4:55||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||12–4||Tamdan McCrory||Decision (split)||UFC 101||August 8, 2009||3||5:00||Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States|
|Win||11–4||Chris Wilson||Decision (split)||UFC 94||January 31, 2009||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Fight of the Night.|
|Win||10–4||Charlie Brenneman||Decision (unanimous)||Ring of Combat 21||September 12, 2008||3||5:00||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States||Won ROC Welterweight Championship.|
|Win||9–4||Nick Calandrino||TKO (punches)||IFL: Connecticut||May 16, 2008||3||2:24||Uncasville, Connecticut, United States||Welterweight debut.|
|Win||8–4||Jose Rodriguez||KO (punches)||Ring of Combat 18||March 7, 2008||1||4:07||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States|
|Loss||7–4||Dan Miller||Decision (unanimous)||Ring of Combat 17||November 30, 2007||3||4:00||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States|
|Loss||7–3||Woody Weatherby||TKO (punches)||WFL 19||September 29, 2007||1||2:32||Revere, Massachusetts, United States|
|Win||7–2||Mandela K'ponou||Submission (armbar)||CZ 23||August 25, 2007||1||N/A||Revere, Massachusetts, United States|
|Loss||6–2||Nick Catone||Decision (unanimous)||CFFC 5||June 23, 2007||3||N/A||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States|
|Win||6–1||Josh Rosaaen||Submission (triangle choke)||CFFC 4||April 13, 2007||3||1:17||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States|
|Loss||5–1||Alexandre Moreno||Submission (armbar)||WFL 10||September 23, 2006||1||N/A||Revere, Massachusetts, United States|
|Win||5–0||Jason Dublin||Submission (arm-triangle choke)||CZ 15||April 24, 2006||2||2:39||Revere, Massachusetts, United States|
|Win||4–0||Aldo Santos||Submission (armbar)||WFL 4||December 3, 2005||1||3:41||Revere, Massachusetts, United States|
|Win||3–0||Mandela K'ponou||Submission (heel hook)||WFL 1||February 5, 2005||2||2:52||Revere, Massachusetts, United States|
|Win||2–0||Les Richardson||Submission (rear-naked choke)||CZ 9||December 4, 2004||2||2:53||Revere, Massachusetts, United States|
|Win||1–0||Jason Dublin||Decision (unanimous)||CZ 8||October 2, 2004||2||5:00||Revere, Massachusetts, United States|
- "Print Fight Card - UFC 178 Johnson vs. Cariaso". UFC.com. Retrieved September 30, 2014.
- "John Howard - Official UFC Fighter Profile". UFC.com. Retrieved December 28, 2013.
- Nason, Josh (December 8, 2010). "John Howard Promises You Will Not See A Boring Fight". Bleacher Report.
- Rodriguez, Ariel (January 16, 2015). "UFC fighter: I busted 'arrogant' Tamerlan Tsarnaev's nose". Boston Herald.
- "UFC fighter says he could have put accused Boston bomber 'down for good'". FoxNews.com. August 15, 2013.
- ""Superman" vs. "Doomsday" shifted to The Ultimate Fighter 10 Finale in December". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2009-09-10.
- "Daniel Roberts Steps in to Face John Howard". bostonherald.com. Retrieved 2010-02-14.
- "Thiago Alves vs. John Howard targeted for UFC 124". mmajunkie.com. September 2, 2010.
- "Martin Kampmann vs. John Howard on tap for UFC on Versus 4". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2011-04-13.
- "UFC on Versus 4: Matt Brown vs John Howard booked for June 26 with Martin Kampmann injured". mmamania.com. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "Welterweight John Howard Released from the UFC Following Loss at UFC on Versus 4". mmaweekly.com. Retrieved 2011-07-11.
- Staff (2013-07-17). "John Howard re-signs with the UFC, fights Uriah Hall at UFC on Fox Sports 1". bostonherald.com. Retrieved 2013-07-17.
- Staff. "Siyar Bahadruzada vs. John Howard added to December's UFC 168 event". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 10-04-2013. Check date values in:
- Mike Chiappetta (2014-02-14). "John Howard vs. Ryan LaFlare targeted for UFC's Abu Dhabi show". foxsports.com. Retrieved 2014-02-14.
- Jesse Holland (2014-05-05). "John Howard vs. Rick Story set for UFC Fight Night 45 on July 16 in Atlantic City". mmamania.com. Retrieved 2014-06-23.
- MMAJunkie.com Staff (2014-06-18). "Leonardo Mafra replaces John Howard at UFC Fight Night 45". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-06-23.
- Staff (2014-07-14). "Brian Ebersole vs. John Howard slated for UFC 178 in Las Vegas". mmajunkie.net. Retrieved 2014-07-14.
- Staff (2014-11-03). "John Howard vs. Lorenz Larkin set for UFC Fight Night 59 in Boston". mmajunkie.net. Retrieved 2014-11-03.
- Mike Bohn (2015-04-01). "Brandon Thatch vs. John Howard added to UFC 189 in Las Vegas". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-04-01.
- "Dorchester's John Howard hopes to log bonus time". BOSTONHERALD.com. 2009-08-07. Retrieved 2009-08-07.