|Born||July 6, 1971|
|Education||University of California, Santa Barbara (B.A. 1993)
Columbia University (M.S. 1999)
|Occupation||Sportscaster and news anchor|
|Employer||NBC Sports and NBC News|
|Salary||$4 million (2014)|
|Height||6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)|
|Spouse(s)||Priya Narang (divorced)|
|Partner(s)||Liz Cho (Engaged; 2014–present)|
Josh Elliott (born July 6, 1971) is an American television journalist who currently works for NBC Sports and NBC News. He has previously worked as the news anchor for ABC's Good Morning America and was a co-anchor for the live telecast of ESPN's SportsCenter from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. ET with Hannah Storm or Sage Steele. He formerly filed reports for SportsCenter, filled in as a co-host on Cold Pizza and ESPN First Take, and appeared on ESPNEWS programming.
Early life and education
Elliott was born on July 6, 1971 to Susan, who gave Elliott up for adoption. He was adopted by Charles Elliott and Toni Jordan and grew up in Los Angeles, California. When he was 13, his father came out as gay at the time of his parents' divorce. His father later died when Elliott was 15.
After graduating from Loyola High School of Los Angeles, Elliott attended the University of California, Santa Barbara. He originally enrolled at UC Santa Barbara in hopes of joining the UC Santa Barbara Gauchos men's water polo team, but instead ended up working at the university paper, The Daily Nexus. He graduated from UCSB in 1993 with a B.A. degree in English literature.
Elliot worked as a stringer for the Santa Barbara News-Press. He then moved on to graduate school at Columbia University's Graduate School of Journalism, where he earned a Master of Science degree in 1999. He worked in television as a producer for Galaxy Productions before moving onto 20th Century Fox. He began there in comedy development and later worked in physical production. After graduating from Columbia, Elliott worked for Sports Illustrated for six years, covering events in most major sports.
Elliott first joined ESPN in 2004 as a panelist for Around the Horn and Jim Rome Is Burning, as well as serving as guest co-host for Cold Pizza on ESPN2. On ESPN Classic, Elliott hosted the short-lived Classic Now, which aired from June 2005 to March 2006. He also started appearing as a co-anchor on ESPNEWS and reporting for SportsCenter. After Classic Now was canceled, Elliott began contributing to ESPN the Magazine and ESPN.com.
When ESPN began airing SportsCenter live every weekday morning on August 11, 2008, Elliott was paired as an anchor with Hannah Storm for the first three hours of the programming block beginning at 9:00 a.m. ET.
Good Morning America
In May 2011, Elliott joined the team at ABC's Good Morning America following the departure of previous news anchor Juju Chang. He also started as a substitute anchor on the weekend edition of ABC World News, debuting on May 21, 2011. It was rumored that due to Elliott's 6'3" height, George Stephanopoulos would be demoted from his anchor position which was discredited by an ABC News spokesperson. Elliott also anchored an afternoon edition of Good Morning America, titled Good Afternoon America weekdays with Lara Spencer from July 9 until September 7, 2012.
On March 30, 2014, it was announced by ABC News President Ben Sherwood that Elliott had signed a contract with NBC Sports, and would depart ABC News and Good Morning America. Amy Robach was announced as his immediate replacement. With his NBC Sports contract, Elliott will make $4 million per year but a six month non-compete clause prohibits him from appearing on NBC news related programming. In March 2015 he joined NBC News and Dateline NBC.
- McIntyre, Jason (June 19, 2009). "A Q&A With ESPN's Josh Elliott". thebiglead.com. Retrieved September 30, 2014.
- Tennant, Thomas. "Josh Elliott Biography". about.com. Retrieved September 30, 2014.
- "'At first I thought I had to be gay too': Josh Elliott opens up about what happened when his father came out when he was a teen". The Daily Mail. February 10, 2014. Retrieved February 21, 2014.
- Ferraro, Rich (May 4, 2012). "ABC News' Josh Elliott shares heartfelt story about gay dad". glaad. Retrieved September 30, 2014.
- "MILESTONES". UC Santa Barbara Alumni Association. Spring 2009. Retrieved September 30, 2014.
- Vanderberg, Marcus. "SO WHAT DO YOU DO, JOSH ELLIOTT, GOOD MORNING AMERICA NEWSREADER?". mediabistro.com. Retrieved August 17, 2011.
- "Class Notes". Columbia Journalism Alumni (New York). Winter 2008–2009. Retrieved November 25, 2014.
- Josh Elliott's Biography
- Faughnder, Ryan (February 14, 2009). "UCSB Grad Hits ESPN". Santa Barbara Independent. Retrieved September 30, 2014.
- Huff, Richard (2008-08-01). "New 'SportsCenter' highlight: 9 to 3". Daily News. Retrieved 2008-08-28.
- "Juju Chang Out, Josh Elliott In at Good Morning America". TV Guide. Retrieved 2011-03-29.
- "GEORGE STEPHANOPOULOS Too Short for Morning TV?". TMZ.com. September 12, 2011. Retrieved November 25, 2014.
- "Too short for morning TV? George Stephanopoulos may be out of the job - over his height". Daily Mail (England). September 12, 2011. Retrieved November 25, 2014.
- Amato, Joanne (May 21, 2012). "ABC News Announces Josh Elliott and Lara Spencer as Anchors of "Good Afternoon America"". ABC News. Retrieved September 30, 2014.
- Steinberg, Brian. "Josh Elliott Leaves ABC’s ‘Good Morning America’ For NBC Sports". Variety. Retrieved 30 March 2014.
- Guthrie, Marisa (April 2, 2014). "Josh Elliott's Messy 'GMA' Exit: Can He Rebound at NBC?". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved November 25, 2014.
- "SportsCenter 9 AM - Josh Elliott & Hannah Storm". ESPN. Retrieved 2008-08-28.
- Daulerio, A.J. "Josh Elliott Reluctantly Submits To An Interview With Us Before His Last Day At ESPN". Deadspin. Retrieved May 3, 2011.
- Feldman, Josh (September 29, 2014). "NBC’s Josh Elliott, WABC’s Liz Cho Are Reportedly Engaged". Mediate. Retrieved September 30, 2014.
- Kaplan, Don; Yaniv, Oren (September 29, 2014). "NBC Sports’ Josh Elliott engaged to WABC-TV’s Liz Cho". New York Daily News. Retrieved September 30, 2014.
- Champion, Sam (September 29, 2014). "Im not going to b at work tomorrow. @JoshElliott32 and @LizCho7 announced their engagement tnite!!". Twitter. Retrieved September 30, 2014.