Krishna (TV series)
|Created by||Ramanand Sagar|
|Starring||Sarvadaman D. Banerjee
|Country of origin||India|
|No. of episodes||221|
|Running time||45 minutes|
Krishna (also called Shri Krishna) is an Indian television series created, written, and directed by Ramanand Sagar. The series originally aired weekly on Doordarshan. It is an adaptation of the stories of the life of Krishna. Shri Krishna was first broadcast on Doordarshan's Metro Channel (DD 2) from 1993.In 1996, the DD Metro broadcast was discontinued and the show was broadcast from the beginning on DD National. In 1999, the show moved to Zee where the remaining episodes were broadcast.
The entire series was re-telecast on Sony starting 2001 and later on Star.
This serial was also telecasted in Mauritius – Mauritius Broadcasting Corporation as early as 1991, Toronto- Channel 57, Nepal –Nepal TV, South Africa- M.Net, Indonesia- P.T. Cipta Television, Jakarta- Pendidikan, Italy- Fifth Remini Cinema International Film Festival, London- U.K.- T.V.Asia (Satellite).
The show was based on Bhagavat Puran, Brahma Vaivart, HariVamsa, Vishnu Puran, Padma Puran, Garga Samhita, Bhagavad Gita & Mahabharat.
Direction and casting
Shri Krishna was produced by Ramanand Sagar, Subhash Sagar and Prem Sagar under the banner of “Sagar Enterprises” and directed by Ramanand Sagar, Anand Sagar and Moti Sagar. The role of young Krishna was played by Swapnil Joshi and grown up Krishna was played by Sarvadaman D. Banerjee.
- Sarvadaman D. Banerjee as Krishna
- Deepak Deulkar as Balram
- Swapnil Joshi as Krishna (Young)
- Pinky Parikh as Rukmini / Yamuna
- Shweta Rastogi as Radha
- Vilas Raj as Kans
- Paulommi Mukherjee as Devaki
- Sunil Pandey as Vasudev
- Deepak Dave / Sagar Saini as Narad
- Vijay Kavish as Ugrasen
- Damini Kanwal as Yashoda
- Sandeep Mohan as Arjun
- Mahendra Ghule as Bhim / Hanuman
- Raman Khatri as Yudhishthir
- Govind Khatri as Karna
- Phalguni Parekh as Draupadi
- Jyotin Dave as Indra
- Jharna Dave as Bhanamati-Mother Of Praduymna
- Radha Krishna Dutt as Maharishi Uttang / Dev Shilpi Vishwakarma / Jarasandh
- Mukul Nag as Sudama / Ashwatthama
- Sheeba Chaddha as Vasundhara Devi(Sudama's wife)
- Tarakesh Chauhan as Dhritarashtra
- Raj Premi as Shishupal
- Sonia Kapoor as Subhadra
- Shashi Sharma as Satyabhama
- Kumar Hegde as Duryodhan
- Deepak Jethi as Dushasan
- Gautam Chaturvedi as Pondrak
Shri Krishna won the Uptron Award for the “Best director” in the year 1995.The show was one of the biggest grossers for Doordarshan in the mid to late nineties.