|Traded as||NASDAQ: LRCX
S&P 500 Component
|Headquarters||Fremont, California, USA|
|David K. Lam, Founder
James W. Bagley, Chairman of the Board
|Products||Exelan Series; Versys Series; TCP 9400DFM; TCP 9600DFM; Synergy|
Number of employees
Lam Research Corporation is an American corporation that engages in the design, manufacture, marketing, and service of semiconductor processing equipment used in the fabrication of integrated circuits. Its products include etch systems, including dielectric and conductor etch, chemical vapor deposition (CVD), plasma-enhanced chemical vapor deposition (PECVD), physical vapor deposition (PVD), electrochemical deposition (ECD), ultraviolet thermal processing (UVTP), and resist strip and surface preparation, as well as synergy cleaning products. The company markets its products and services primarily to companies involved in the production of semiconductors in the United States, Europe, Asia Pacific, Korea, and Japan. Lam Research Corporation was founded in 1980 by Dr. David K. Lam and is headquartered in Fremont, California.
- 1980 Founded by David K. Lam
- 1981 Introduced first product, the AutoEtch 480, for polysilicon etch
- 1984 Achieved IPO and listing on Nasdaq
- 1985 Established a global presence: Asia and Europe; introduced first oxide etch system, the AutoEtch 590
- 1987 Relocated to new headquarters on Cushing Parkway in Fremont; introduced Rainbow 4400 Etch Series (successor to AutoEtch) for polysilicon etch
- 1990 Established presence in China
- 1992 Introduced first Transformer Coupled Plasma source technology based products, the TCP 9400 for silicon etch and the TCP 9600 for metal etch
- 1993 Opened process development center in Japan; introduced Alliance cluster tool platform
- 1994 Opened R&D center at Fremont, Calif. campus; shipped 1,000th Rainbow Series System
- 1995 Introduced first product incorporating DFC technology, 4520XL dielectric etch system; achieved 0.25 micrometre process capabilities in all served markets
- 1996 Shipped 500th TCP Etch Series chamber; introduced improved DFC technology, 4520XLE dielectric etch system
- 1997 Appointed Jim Bagley chief executive officer; acquired OnTrak Systems, Inc.
- 1998 Appointed Jim Bagley chairman of the board; introduced first CMP system employing proprietary Linear Planarization Technology design; appointed Steve Newberry executive vice president and chief operating officer
- 1999 Shipped 100th Synergy Integra integrated CMP cleaning system; introduced next-generation Exelan dielectric etch system employing Dual Frequency Confined (DFC) plasma source technology
- 2000 Shipped 2,000th high-density TCP etch chamber; launched 2300 Etch Series, offering 200mm and 300mm capability
- 2001 Introduced the TCP 9600DFM metal etch system for sub-150 nm processes; shipped 1,000th post-CMP clean system to Philips; achieved ISO 9001:2000 Quality System registration; scope includes design, manufacture, installation, and servicing of semiconductor wafer fabrication process equipment
- 2002 Launched 2300 Versys Star silicon etch system for sub-90 nm applications; released MyLam.com, a new extranet web site for customers that provides immediate access to the latest technical information and documentation online
- 2003 Demonstrated extendibility to sub-65 nm scales for critical front- and backend processes on 2300 Exelan Flex dielectric etch system achieved ISO 14001 environmental management system registration
- 2004 Launched 2300 Versys Kiyo silicon etch system extending advanced tuning capabilities for 65 nm
- 2012 Lam Research Corp. (NASDAQ: LRCX) completed its merger with San Jose, Calif.-based Novellus Systems, Inc., (NASDAQ: NVLS) on June 4, 2012.
- "LAM RESEARCH CORP (LRCX:US): Company Description - BusinessWeek". investing.businessweek.com. 2011. Retrieved 9 August 2011.
- "Oral History: David K. Lam | SEMI.ORG". semi.org. 2011. Retrieved 9 August 2011.
- "James Bageley: Executive Profile & Biography - BusinessWeek". investing.businessweek.com. 2011. Retrieved 9 August 2011.
- "Lam Research Acquires New Opportunities with SEZ Acquisition - GLG News". glgroup.com. 2011. Retrieved 9 August 2011.
- "Lam Research Completes Its Merger With Novellus Systems". 2012. Retrieved 29 June 2012.