List of freeware video games
This is a selected list of freeware video games implemented as traditional executable files that must be downloaded and installed. Freeware games are games that are released as freeware and can be downloaded and played, free of charge, for an unlimited amount of time.
This list does not include:
- Open source games (see List of open source games).
- Games that were previously sold commercially (see List of commercial games released as freeware).
- Shareware or games that require purchase for play time, game items, new content or features.
- Browser-based games.
- Mods: software that cannot be played as stand-alone game.
- Ahriman's Prophecy is a prequel to the Aveyond RPG series.
- Alien Swarm is a free top down shooter from Valve used to test the Source 2010 beta.
- America's Army is the official United States Army game.
- Anchorhead is a horror interactive fiction game.
- ADOM is a roguelike game (technically postcardware) by Thomas Biskup.
- Armored Brigade is a freeware tactical wargame, focusing on realism and playability.
- Assault Cube is a Counter Strike-like first person shooter with low system requirements.
- Astro battle is a top down Multi-directional shooter in which players design their own spacecraft and battle other players on-line.
- Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden is a futuristic role-playing video game starring basketballer Charles Barkley.
- Battleships Forever is a real time tactics game with a ship designer.
- BMW M3 Challenge is a BMW M3 car racing game.
- BVE Trainsim is a railroad simulator created by Mackoy of Japan.
- Broken Sword 2.5: The Return of the Templars is a fan-made Broken Sword game.
- Cave Story is a side-scrolling action-adventure game.
- Cellfactor: Revolution is a single-player and multiplayer game that uses the Ageia Physx engine.
- Chex Quest is a comedic Doom clone (technically an advergame).
- Chicken Invaders is a space shooter by InterAction Studios.
- Chzo Mythos is a set of four separate adventure games: 5 Days a Stranger, 7 Days a Skeptic, Trilby's Notes and 6 Days a Sacrifice by Ben Croshaw.
- Cloud is a third-person computer puzzle game based on weather and atmospheric aesthetics.
- Corridors of Power is a 3D first person shooter.
- Continuum is a Top-Down video game Multiplayer game.
- Digital - A Love Story is a computer mystery/romance set five minutes into the future of 1988.
- DinoHunters is an advertisement-supported first person shooter and machinima series created by Kuma Reality Games.
- Dogfights: The Game is a combat flight simulator based on the History Channel series of the same name.
- Dwarf Fortress is a real-time fantasy roguelike (technically donationware).
- Eastside Hockey Manager is a hockey manager game.
- Eternal Daughter is a Castlevania-style action-adventure game.
- Elona is a Roguelike.
- Ferrari Virtual Race is a Ferrari-licensed racing game.
- flOw is an ambient Flash game.
- Food Force is a game where you deliver food to places in which people are starving.
- Future Pinball is a pinball simulation editor and game with many tables available.
- Gate88 is an abstract top-down futuristic real-time strategy space combat simulator.
- Genetos is a scrolling shooter.
- General is a strategy game with text interface.
- GeneRally is an arcade-style top-down racing game.
- Grid Wars is a Geometry Wars clone.
- GROW is a series of puzzle games.
- Gunster is a multiplayer scrolling shooter.
- Guns and Robots is a multiplayer Third-person shooter.
- Icy Tower is a tower-climbing arcade game.
- Ikachan is an action-adventure game by Studio Pixel.
- Iji is a platformer by Daniel Remar.
- IMVU is an online social entertainment game.
- Inner Worlds is a DOS platformer where you play a woman that turns into a wolf. (Sleepless Software, 1996)
- I Wanna Be the Guy is a platformer notable for its difficulty.
- Jump 'n Bump is a multiplayer battle game. (Should be moved to List of open source games).
- Junkbot is a Lego-themed puzzle game.
- La-Mulana is a 2D platform game, reminiscent of the MSX game Maze of Galious.
- Legionwood: Tale of the Two Swords is a 2D tile based role playing video game reminiscent of games such as Final Fantasy.
- Lexus ISF Track Time is a Lexus ISF car racing game.
- Liero is a 2D side-scrolling shooting game for one or two players (malfunctions on Win2000, WinXP and greater - though will play with sound disabled).
- Little Fighter is a beat'em up DOS fighting game
- Little Fighter 2 is a sequel to Little Fighter that is for newer operating systems
- Maia, Revenge Of The End Of The Line is a text-based action/adventure rpg made by anonymous.
- Mayhem Triple is a cinematic platformer focusing on exciting set-pieces and violent, fast gunplaygame made by Sniper Diplomat.
- Minecraft Classic is the free version of the popular sandbox game Minecraft.
- Moon Whistle is a classic RPG Maker game made by Kannazuki Sasuke.
- Monster Milktruck is a single-player online game using Google Earth technology.
- MUGEN is a custom fighting game engine.
- The Museum of Broken Memories is an adventure game by Jonas Kyratzes.
- Mechwarrior 1-4 is a robot fighting simulation.
- N is a classic platform game with advanced physics.
- Narbacular Drop is a 3D puzzle game developed by Nuclear Monkey Software. It is the precursor to Valve's Portal.
- Nitronic Rush is a racing game with flying and various other interesting features.
- Noctis is a space exploration simulator. (Should be moved to List of open source games).
- Notrium is a survival game.
- Off An Rpg and subliminal Thriller made using RPG Maker.
- One Night Trilogy is a series of three freeware survival horror games.
- Orbiter is a space flight simulator with an emphasis on realistic orbital mechanics.
- osu! is a freeware simulator of the rhythm video games Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan and Elite Beat Agents.
- The Pale Moon Treasure is a survival horror console-based game based in the original creepypasta story "Pale Luna" by K. I. Simpson.
- Perspective is a single player puzzle game that includes aspects of a 2-D platformer where the player switches between a 2D and a 3D game environment.
- Plasma Pong is a Pong game in which the ball is manipulated by a fluid dynamics environment. It is currently in development hell after the website became defunct.
- Play65 is an online multi-player backgammon game featuring 3D graphics and community modules.
- Plobb! is a fast single player 2D arcade shooter, and as a multidirectional shooter shares the gameplay of Asteroids. It features a distinctive game design.
- Progress Quest is a parody of Everquest and the MMORPG genre, focuses on pure character building with no interaction involved.
- Scorched 3D is a 3D remake of an artillery game Scorched Earth.
- A Second Face is a sci-fi adventure game.
- Seiklus is an ambient single-player action-adventure game.
- SimSig is a train simulation game based on real UK signalling systems.
- Skifree is a Windows 95 game.
- Soldat is a 2d, fast paced, action multi-player shooting game with many different game modes and weapon choices.
- Space Combat is a 3D space simulator featuring realistic physics.
- Space Tanks is a 2D/3D gravity game featuring realistic physics.
- Spelunky is a platforming game that utilizes roguelike gameplay. (Should be moved to List of open source games).
- Stepmania A rhythm based online capable game.
- SubSpace is a 2D top-down space shooter game with massive multiplayer capabilities.
- Super Cosplay War Ultra is a 2D fighting game featuring cosplayers.
- Synaesthete is a student-created psychedelic rhythm shooter.
- Synth uses procedural generation for the graphics and level design.
- Syobon Action is a Japanese game notorious for its difficulty.
- Solitaire is a card game.
- Tag: The Power of Paint is a 3D first-person action & puzzle game that uses paint to manipulate physics.
- TAGAP: The Apocalyptic Game About Penguins and its sequel are 2D side-scrolling platform games.
- Temporal is a platform game involving time travel based puzzles.
- Trackmania Nations is a 3D racing game specially developed for the Electronic Sports World Cup by Nadeo.
- Transcendence is a 2D space adventure game featuring extended moddability.
- TUMIKI Fighters is a 3D scrolling shooter.
- Toribash is a 3D ragdoll fighting game in which you control every joint of your fighter.
- Star Control II Ur-Quan Masters, puts you in the position of a space captain
- Vanguard Princess is a dōjin 2D fighting game
- Visual Pinball is a pinball simulation editor and game with many tables available.
- Volvo – The Game (2009, SimBin) is a racing game developed by SimBim Studios and licensed by Volvo to promote the Volvo S60 concept car.
- Warmonger: Operation Downtown Destruction is an apocalyptic, first-person shooter.
- Warning Forever is a vertical shooter.
- Within a Deep Forest is a 2D physics and exploration game.
- WolfQuest is a wildlife simulation game.
- Yume Nikki is an "exploration" adventure game themed around dreams and nightmares with basic pixel graphics.
- List of free massively multiplayer online games
- List of commercial video games released as freeware
- List of commercial video games with later released source code
- Ashe, Suzanne (2009-04-22). "Review: Ferrari Virtual Race". cnet. CBS Interactive.
- "All your gates belong to us". PC Gamer UK (144): p. 113. January 2005.
- "Gate 88". Home of the Underdogs. Retrieved 2009-10-24.
- "Inner Worlds homepage". Retrieved 12 January 2013.
- "Volvo releases free racing game". The Car Tech Blob. cnet. MAY 26, 2009. Retrieved 2011-07-15.
|Wikibooks has a book on the topic of: Freeware:Games|