Los Angeles City Council District 12
Los Angeles City Council District 12 is one of the 15 districts of the Los Angeles City Council. It encompasses the northwestern and western section of the San Fernando Valley, in the city of Los Angeles. Mitchell Englander is the current officeholder.
The district covers the northwestern San Fernando Valley communities of
- Granada Hills
- Porter Ranch
- West Hills
- Sherwood Forest
- and parts of North Hills, and Reseda.
From 1925 to 1964 the district occupied the same general area in northwest Downtown Los Angeles or the Westlake area. In 1964, however, it was shifted bodily to the North Valley, taking Council Member John P. Cassidy with it.
The rough boundaries or descriptions have been as follows:
1954. West of Downtown, between Figueroa and Catalina streets.
The district has been represented by thirteen men and one woman, Harriett Davenport; she succeeded her husband, Ed J. Davenport, who died in office in 1953.
Northwest and west of Downtown
- A.J. Barnes, 1925–27
- Douglas Eads Foster, 1927–29
- Thomas W. Williams, 1929–31
- Thomas Francis Ford, 1931–33
- James T. Carroll, 1933
- John W. Baumgartner, 1933–45
- Ed J. Davenport, 1945–53
- Harriett Davenport, 1953–55
- Ransom M. Callicott, 1955–61
- John P. Cassidy, 1961–67
San Fernando Valley
Elections were held on March 8, 2011, and won by Mitchell Englander to replace the term-limited Greig Smith. The candidates were: Armineh Safarian Chelebian, YJ Jay Draiman, Mitchell Englander, Timothy Flanagan, Dinesh Lakhanpal, Kelly M Lord, Brad Smith and Lucie Volotzky.
- "To the Citizens of Los Angeles," Los Angeles Times, February 14, 1926, page B-5
- Location of the 12th District office in 1926 as shown on Mapping L.A.
- "Council Areas' Lines Changed," Los Angeles Times, December 29, 1928, page A-1
- "District Lines Get Approval," Los Angeles Times, December 24, 1932, page 2
- "City Reapportionment Measure Gets Approval," Los Angeles Times, January 19, 1933 With map of all districts.
- "Do You Know Who Your City Councilman Is?" Los Angeles Times, March 24, 1935, page 22 Includes a map.
- "Proposed New Alignment for City Voting Precincts," Los Angeles Times, November 30, 1940, page A-3 Includes a map.
- "6 Councilmen to Run; Mrs Davenport to Quit," Los Angeles Examiner, December 14, 1954, section 3, page 2, in Los Angeles Public Library reference file
- "Unusual Setup for Council's Contests," Los Angeles Times, April 3, 1955, page B-3
- Jack McCurdy, "New Council Districting Voted 14-0," Los Angeles Times, July 16, 1964, page A-1
- Candidate Information, District 12, Los Angeles
- 2011 Primary Nominating Election Candidates Declaration of Intention
- Access to the Los Angeles Times links requires the use of a library card.