|Elevation||56 m (184 ft)|
|• Official||Maithili, Hindi, Urdu|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Sex ratio||1000/942 ♂/♀|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Madhubani|
|Vidhan Sabha constituency||Madhubani, Bisfi|
Madhubani is a town and a municipality in Madhubani district in the Indian state of Bihar. It is the district headquarters. It lies 26 km northeast of Darbhanga town and was part of the erstwhile 'Bettiah Raj'. Internal disputes and family quarrels divided the Bettiah Raj in course of time. The Madhuban Raj in Madhubani was created as a consequence. The word "Madhuban" means "forest of honey" from which Madhubani is derived, but sometimes it is also known as "madhu"+"vaani", meaning "sweet" "voice/language". Madhubani is the cultural heart of Mithilanchal, being the birthplace of many literary people and home to Madhubani Paintings.It is said to be that Madhubani is the world's second city who adopted democracy.
Height from Sea
The Madhubani district is situated at height of 58 meters from Sea.
North :Hill region of Nepal South :Darbhanga East :Supaul West :Sitamarhi
• Madhubani occupies a total of 3501 km2.
• Main Rivers are Kamla, Kareh, Balan, Bhutahi Balan, Gehuan, Supen, Trishula, Jeevachh, Koshi and Adhwara Group.
• High Flood Level is 54.017 m.
• Whole District is under Earthquake Zone 5.
• Total Cropped Area - 218381 Hect.
• Barren /Uncultivable Land - 1456.5 Hect
• Land under Non-agricultural use - 51273.24 Hect
• Cultivable Barren Land - 333.32 Hect
• Permanent Pasture - 1372.71 Hect
• Miscellaneous Trees - 8835.90 Hect
• Cultivable Land - 232724 Hect
• Cropping Intensity - 134.23%
As of 2001[update] India census, Madhubani Town had a population of 166,285. Males constitute 53% of the population and females 47%. Madhubani Town has an average literacy rate of 60%, just above the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 67%, and female literacy is 53%. In Madhubani Town, 16% of the population is under 6 years of age.
In earlier times[when?] there was a landlord named Babu who was the owner of all of the estate of Babubarahi. Consequently, it is now known as Babu Barahi.
There was an ancient king known as GANGERA, whose palace found under the agriculture field at the time of excavation of canal joining Jaynagar and Saharghat. where that his palace found known as Gangaur and name of this place also derived from king name. The palace of king Janak of Janakpur and father of lordess Sita is 12 km from gangaur. most no of ponds in madhubani.
Language and Culture
Maithili has highly developed literature. Madhubani has produced several authors in different fields. Vidyapati wrote collection of poems known as "Padabali". Dr. Jaikant Mishra wrote History of Maithili literature. Mukund Jha Bakshi wrote Mithila Bhasamay Itihas, a first historical book in Maithili.Madhubani has been a center of learning Nepalese Maithili Culture in India from ancient time and it retains that position even now.
Madhubani has an All India Radio Relay station known as Akashvani Madhubani. It broadcasts on FM frequencies.
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (January 2015)|
- R.K.College, Madhubani
- J.N.College, Madhubani
- JMDPL Mahila College,Madhubani
- Watson High School
- Suri High School
- Shiv Ganga Girls High School
- Janta High School Belhvaar
- Ram, Bindeshwar (1998). Land and society in India: agrarian relations in colonial North Bihar. Orient Blackswan. ISBN 978-81-250-0643-5.
- Madhubani - Britannica Online Encyclopedia
- "MADHUBANI Pincode". citypincode.in. Retrieved 2014-05-19.
- Falling Rain Genomics, Inc - Madhubani
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
- Madhubani Official Website
- Maithili Community Web Portal,Community
- Madhubani Smachar, Information
- Madhubani Paintings
- Madhubani Paintings in UK
- Website of Dr Prabhat Das Foundation
- Madhubani Paintings Technique
- MSN Map
- Bihar Govt. Official Web Site