Marechal Cunha Machado International Airport
|Marechal Cunha Machado International Airport (Tirirical)
Aeroporto Internacional Marechal Cunha Machado (Tirirical)
|IATA: SLZ – ICAO: SBSL|
|Elevation AMSL||54 m / 178 ft|
|Metric tonnes of cargo||7,063|
Sources: Airport Website, ANAC
Marechal Cunha Machado International Airport (IATA: SLZ, ICAO: SBSL), formerly called Tirirical Airport, is the airport serving São Luís, Brazil. Since 17 October 1985 the airport is named after Marechal Cunha Machado.
It is operated by Infraero.
In 1942 the airport was inaugurated and since 1974 it is operated by Infraero.
The present passenger terminal was opened in June 1998. In October 2004 it was upgraded to international category.
Airlines and destinations
Accidents and incidents
- 1 June 1973: a Cruzeiro do Sul Sud Aviation SE-210 Caravelle VI N registration PP-PDX operating flight 109 from Belém-Val de Cans to São Luís crashed on approach to São Luís. Engine no.1 lost power and the aircraft attained an extreme nose-up attitude. It stalled and crashed 760m to the right of the runway. All 23 passengers and crew died.
- 3 February 1984: a Cruzeiro do Sul Airbus A300B4-203 operating flight 302 en route from São Luís to Belém-Val de Cães with 176 passengers and crew aboard was hijacked by 3 persons who demanded to be taken to Cuba. The flight reached Camagüey in less than a day. There were no victims.
The airport is located 15 km (9 mi) from downtown São Luís.
- "Movimento operacional da rede Infraero de janeiro a dezembro de 2013" (in Portuguese). Infraero. 4 February 2014. Retrieved 17 July 2014.
- "Airport Official Website" (in Portuguese). Infraero.
- "Lista de aeródromos públicos" (in Portuguese). ANAC.
- "Lei n˚7.383, de 17 de outubro de 1985" (in Portuguese). Senado Federal. 17 October 1985. Retrieved 18 April 2011.
- "Accident description PP-PDX". Aviation Safety Network. Retrieved 22 June 2011.
- Germano da Silva, Carlos Ari César (2008). "O mistério do Tirirical". O rastro da bruxa: história da aviação comercial brasileira no século XX através dos seus acidentes 1928–1996 (in Portuguese) (2 ed.). Porto Alegre: EDIPUCRS. pp. 279–284. ISBN 978-85-7430-760-2.
- "Incident description 3 February 1984". Aviation Safety Network. Retrieved 4 August 2011.
- Airport information for SBSL at World Aero Data. Data current as of October 2006.Source: DAFIF.
- Airport information for SBSL at Great Circle Mapper. Source: DAFIF (effective Oct. 2006).
- Current weather for SBSL at NOAA/NWS
- Accident history for SLZ at Aviation Safety Network